Modern Design Townhomes Around Texas Medical Center

NavyFS

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and I'm looking for alittle advice. My wife and I will be moving to Houston in June from North Carolina and we're looking at real estate within 5 miles of the Texas Medical Center. We like contemporary design and have searched har.com, but without knowing the area well, we'd like advice on location and potential resale in 3-4 years. Also, I've read about some of the builders to avoid, but I'm not sure which builders I can look to for a quality product. We like MDGI and FS Design Group in terms of design, but we are unfamilar with the companies who are actually building these projects. We'd like to buy something already in the process of being built. We's perfer SFR, but willing to look at townhouses as well. Our budget is anywhere from 300,000 to 400,000. Thanks in advance for any help!

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and I'm looking for alittle advice. My wife and I will be moving to Houston in June from North Carolina and we're looking at real estate within 5 miles of the Texas Medical Center. We like contemporary design and have searched har.com, but without knowing the area well, we'd like advice on location and potential resale in 3-4 years. Also, I've read about some of the builders to avoid, but I'm not sure which builders I can look to for a quality product. We like MDGI and FS Design Group in terms of design, but we are unfamilar with the companies who are actually building these projects. We'd like to buy something already in the process of being built. We's perfer SFR, but willing to look at townhouses as well. Our budget is anywhere from 300,000 to 400,000. Thanks in advance for any help!

Welcome to Houston!

The area between downtown and the med center is referred to as Mid Town. Most new construction is townhomes with the primary builder being Pery Homes. Some say this area is being over built so resale is a little slow right now. With the close proximity to downtown and the med center I would think it would remain strong over the long run. Architecturally speaking most of the newer construction is the same.

If you are looking at the med center on a map, head north on Montrose to West Gray. This "River Oaks" area starts to have more architectural choices and still fits in your budget. For another area, continue North on Montrose to Washington and turn left. This leads you to the Memorial Park area. Still within your budget and close to the park. There are some interesting designs mixed in with the typical new construction.

Check out har.com and look in area 16 for the Montrose/River Oaks area. I think the med center is area 17.

If a condo is acceptable go to har.com, choose find a Realtor/find a home, choose high rise, choose the building name Il Palazzo. It's almost adjacent to Hermann Park and the medical center. Architecturally it's a great building.

Good luck.

The market is changing quickly. You might not make a profit that quickly.

It does depend on the market. Equally important it depends on the area. The Heights continues to show strong price increases. There are new closely spaced, contemporary patio homes being built on 8th, just west of Yale that may meet your design requirements. This would be an extra five minute drive above the West Gray area.

From the medical center drive north on Montrose, left on White Oak, right on Yale and then left on 8th.

Hi everyone,

I am not sure about MDGI...But, I can tell you first hand that you should avoid FS Design Group all together. They also are going by the name SFK Development. While I do like the design work of FS Design, they are unable to execute and deliver a quality product...this seems be due to the fact that they are always looking to cut corners to save a buck. Just visit the first set of townhomes that they build on Kiam. They are awful. At one point, they were all sold, and then everyone backed out because of the poor quality. I think you will also find that to be the case on the Southmore units as well.

I would advise that you find a quality architect and builders like Carol Isaak Barden or Allen Bianchi.

• 1 year later...

I would totally concur that FS Design, FS Construction Inc. should be avoided at all costs. We purchased a Southmore home from FS Sabir and it is totally falling apart.

All of the Stucco is cracking on the outside and so is the foundation. None of the plumbing was installed correctly causing massive leaks and the stucco is falling off due to improper flashing and installation. Everytime it rains, water pours into the structure.

The foundation is cracking and every major system is failing. The place was infested with roaches when we moved in and everything that could go wrong - has gone wrong.

Every single door throughout the dwelling has cracked.

They installed a 38 gallon water heater to service a 3 bedroom/ 3.5 bath home! We can't even take a hot bath or use the whirlpool!

And what is the worst of all is that FS Design has been completely unresponsive to obvious warranty issues and has, in fact, tried to blame us for water damage claiming we allowed the tub (we can't even use) to overflow!

One of his contractors told us that FS Design knew of serious problems prior to our purchase and hired him to paint over water stains and hide other problems. He sent the guy back out to hide the latest plumbing defects we discovered and made the situation even worse.

Now we have a musty smelling home with warped brazilian ebony floors and sheet rock falling into the great room. We now are forced to engage TRCC to remedy the situation while in the meantime, we have no safe place to live and bathe!

FS Design, FS Construction Inc. and SF Development Group have completely ruined our American dream of owning a nice home. I would never do any type of business with FS Design, FS Construction or SF Development Group under any circumstance.

FS Sabir misrepresented his project to us in every possible way to earn a quick buck and has broken every promise he has made to fix the obvious defects. Now he doesn't even return phone calls or emails and has left us holding the bag.... Shame on him! Every buyer in Houston Texas should beware of FS Design, FS Construction Inc. and SF Development Group.

I am not sure about MDGI...But, I can tell you first hand that you should avoid FS Design Group all together. They also are going by the name SFK Development. While I do like the design work of FS Design, they are unable to execute and deliver a quality product...this seems be due to the fact that they are always looking to cut corners to save a buck. Just visit the first set of townhomes that they build on Kiam. They are awful. At one point, they were all sold, and then everyone backed out because of the poor quality. I think you will also find that to be the case on the Southmore units as well.

I would advise that you find a quality architect and builders like Carol Isaak Barden or Allen Bianchi.

Edited by editor

• 5 months later...

Check out the map on har.com and look at zip code 77004, there are lots of townhouses near the medical center (and near a metro rail station) in this neighborhood. Look to the west of the 288 as the neighborhood is much nicer than the east side of the 288. There are definitely a lot of places in your price range.

I'm pretty sure the foreclosed townhouse on Radcliffe I looked at was an FS Design product. I have never seen a house less than two years old in such sad shape. External and internal water leaks galore, the stench of mold, paint peeling, etc. The other three townhouses in the project also showed the same signs of water leakage from the outside. Easy to blame on the builder or subcontractors, but poor design and execution falls back directly on the designer.

I'm pretty sure the foreclosed townhouse on Radcliffe I looked at was an FS Design product. I have never seen a house less than two years old in such sad shape. External and internal water leaks galore, the stench of mold, paint peeling, etc. The other three townhouses in the project also showed the same signs of water leakage from the outside. Easy to blame on the builder or subcontractors, but poor design and execution falls back directly on the designer.

SKF Design Group according to the original listing with Urban Living. Not sure if they are related or not.

Yo, buddy. If you're going to impersonate clients, its best not to do it one after the other just after midnight on a Sunday morning. And you should probably announce, yourself, that you're going to get clients to post their thoughts, just so as to have multiple testimonials on the same thread come across as plausible. The font type and style of writing needs to be varied, too, as do the login names. ...and before posting the testimonials, make a few posts with each login. That lends credibility, too. There's just more to guerrila marketing than plastering your logo everywhere.

Unless, of course, you've had a bad experience with FS Design and you're just trying to destroy the public's perceptions of their business ethics, reinforcing what Scott08 had said in Post #14. In that case, you're doing an exceptional job.

EDIT: Eventually Editor or a moderator is going to come across these posts and will be tempted to delete them; based upon the poster's extreme incompetence (or possibly brilliance), I'd humbly ask that the posts not be deleted. I think that they most likely serve the public good.

Edited by TheNiche

Yo, buddy. If you're going to impersonate clients, its best not to do it one after the other just after midnight on a Sunday morning. And you should probably announce, yourself, that you're going to get clients to post their thoughts, just so as to have multiple testimonials on the same thread come across as plausible. The font type and style of writing needs to be varied, too, as do the login names. ...and before posting the testimonials, make a few posts with each login. That lends credibility, too. There's just more to guerrila marketing than plastering your logo everywhere.

Unless, of course, you've had a bad experience with FS Design and you're just trying to destroy the public's perceptions of their business ethics, reinforcing what Scott08 had said in Post #14. In that case, you're doing an exceptional job.

EDIT: Eventually Editor or a moderator is going to come across these posts and will be tempted to delete them; based upon the poster's extreme incompetence (or possibly brilliance), I'd humbly ask that the posts not be deleted. I think that they most likely serve the public good.

I checked the IPs and they're both the same, and there's a third member that just joined named Virani with the same one too.......I guess that testimony is pending :rolleyes: .

Since the company in question has been discussed throughout the thread, I have no problem leaving the posts in. However, creating multiple members is a guideline violation so pal, jam and Virani will be sent to HAIF time out for awhile.

I checked the IPs and they're both the same, and there's a third member that just joined named Virani with the same one too.......I guess that testimony is pending :rolleyes: .

Since the company in question has been discussed throughout the thread, I have no problem leaving the posts in. However, creating multiple members is a guideline violation so pal, jam and Virani will be sent to HAIF time out for awhile.

i see another career in your future.

Just a suggestion ... you might consider an older 1950/60s ranch style home in Meyerland or Westbury at 1/2 the price or less of what your looking at with a typical really large lot and then do updates and make some $$$ when you sell it. Still a very reasonable 20-30 min commute to the Med Center down city streets.

Edited by XLR8

• 2 weeks later...

I am not happy! How fair is this forum? You let everyone write negative about FS Design but no one can write positive about them. This is absolutely unjust. I remember some entries in favour of them a couple of weeks before and now they are all deleted. This means who ever will put something good then they'll just have to get deleted as this forum would only let someone write bad about them and nothing good... this is rigged. They worked very hard and made me a very satisfied client.

think as a pround citizen of this great nation we have to give everyone a chance. I completely trust FS Design or Sabir or FS Construction and will always go with them for all my realestate needs. I am sure the Moderator of this forum will understand my thoughts :rolleyes: .

I am not happy! How fair is this forum? You let everyone write negative about FS Design but no one can write positive about them. This is absolutely unjust. I remember some entries in favour of them a couple of weeks before and now they are all deleted. This means who ever will put something good then they'll just have to get deleted as this forum would only let someone write bad about them and nothing good... this is rigged. They worked very hard and made me a very satisfied client.

think as a pround citizen of this great nation we have to give everyone a chance. I completely trust FS Design or Sabir or FS Construction and will always go with them for all my realestate needs. I am sure the Moderator of this forum will understand my thoughts

think as a pround citizen of this great nation we have to give everyone a chance. I completely trust FS Design or Sabir or FS Construction and will always go with them for all my realestate needs. I am sure the Moderator of this forum will understand my thoughts :rolleyes: .

They may do a good job, but anybody that puts out false testimonials gets an 'F' in my book as far as business ethics are concerned. And I can't speak for you, but I dont' want to chance a job valued at hundreds of thousand or millions of dollars on a company like that.

Btw, J2552 you've only ever made two other posts, and they are as follows. I'm willing to bet that you're just another poser, but I'll let the public decide.

14 Dec 2007

Read TopicIn Topic: Modern design townhomes around Texas Medical Center

I know so many people like owner of shipcomwireless and many doctors who love to have FS Design for their projects. I don

Edited by TheNiche

How can u tell its a fake testimonial ? sorry but i know those people personally and those projects.

See post #16 for what tipped me off. In post #18, a moderator confirmed that multiple accounts spewing the FS Design mantra were being created using the same IP address.

Sabirblog.doc

I would totally concur that FS Design, FS Construction Inc. should be avoided at all costs. We purchased a Southmore home from FS Sabir and it is totally falling apart.

All of the Stucco is cracking on the outside and so is the foundation. None of the plumbing was installed correctly causing massive leaks and the stucco is falling off due to improper flashing and installation. Everytime it rains, water pours into the structure.

The foundation is cracking and every major system is failing. The place was infested with roaches when we moved in and everything that could go wrong - has gone wrong.

Every single door throughout the dwelling has cracked.

They installed a 38 gallon water heater to service a 3 bedroom/ 3.5 bath home! We can't even take a hot bath or use the whirlpool!

And what is the worst of all is that FS Design has been completely unresponsive to obvious warranty issues and has, in fact, tried to blame us for water damage claiming we allowed the tub (we can't even use) to overflow!

One of his contractors told us that FS Design knew of serious problems prior to our purchase and hired him to paint over water stains and hide other problems. He sent the guy back out to hide the latest plumbing defects we discovered and made the situation even worse.

Now we have a musty smelling home with warped brazilian ebony floors and sheet rock falling into the great room. We now are forced to engage TRCC to remedy the situation while in the meantime, we have no safe place to live and bathe!

FS Design, FS Construction Inc. and SF Development Group have completely ruined our American dream of owning a nice home. I would never do any type of business with FS Design, FS Construction or SF Development Group under any circumstance.

FS Sabir misrepresented his project to us in every possible way to earn a quick buck and has broken every promise he has made to fix the obvious defects. Now he doesn't even return phone calls or emails and has left us holding the bag.... Shame on him! Every buyer in Houston Texas should beware of FS Design, FS Construction Inc. and SF Development Group.

Hi, I am one of the owners of an FS Design and Build - Kiam town home. Owning this property has been one of the worse experiences of my life.

Like others, I was lured by the design and indeed Sabir is an excellent designer (with the exception of the kitchen where he is clueless), however, that is where his capabilities end.

The house leaks like a sieve. When it rains the water pours in. I don

• The title was changed to Modern Design Townhomes Around Texas Medical Center