Rice Design Alliance Tour Mods

Willowisp

Here comes the RDA tour!

I would love to hear everyone's thoughts on the mods on the tour. Either what you might know about them before or after you've seen them.

250 Pine Hollow Circle, 1953

Wilson, Morris & Crain, architects

The owner of this house talked at the lecture the other night. Her problems with flooding and the loss of land to the currents of the bayou over the years made my problems with noise from the street seem like nothing. She was a very entertaining speaker. I am looking forward to seeing this house. This link below shows a picture of the back of the house back when it was built. The owner said the house is still pretty original all things considered, because they have had to put their money into other things, like reclaiming the land from the bayou...

http://texasarchitect.org/ta200509-essay.p...e8752cf985dfbbc

266 Pine Hollow Circle, 1972

P. M. Bolton Associates, architect

403 Westminster, 1960

Neuhaus and Taylor, architect

This house is newly restored, so I'm really looking forward to seeing it. I'm hoping they have some before pictures as well. I am a docent here on the early shift Saturday, so stop and say hi to the big smiling bald guy!

407 Thamer Circle, 1974

Raymond Brochstein, Anderson Todd, and William T. Cannady, architects

http://rda.rice.edu/index2.php?topgroupid=...d=34&groupid=78

Jason

Here comes the RDA tour!

I would love to hear everyone's thoughts on the mods on the tour. Either what you might know about them before or after you've seen them.

250 Pine Hollow Circle, 1953

Wilson, Morris & Crain, architects

The owner of this house talked at the lecture the other night. Her problems with flooding and the loss of land to the currents of the bayou over the years made my problems with noise from the street seem like nothing. She was a very entertaining speaker. I am looking forward to seeing this house. This link below shows a picture of the back of the house back when it was built. The owner said the house is still pretty original all things considered, because they have had to put their money into other things, like reclaiming the land from the bayou...

http://texasarchitect.org/ta200509-essay.p...e8752cf985dfbbc

266 Pine Hollow Circle, 1972

P. M. Bolton Associates, architect

403 Westminster, 1960

Neuhaus and Taylor, architect

This house is newly restored, so I'm really looking forward to seeing it. I'm hoping they have some before pictures as well. I am a docent here on the early shift Saturday, so stop and say hi to the big smiling bald guy!

407 Thamer Circle, 1974

Raymond Brochstein, Anderson Todd, and William T. Cannady, architects

http://rda.rice.edu/index2.php?topgroupid=...d=34&groupid=78

Jason

When is the tour? I didn't put it on my calendar. Is anyone planning to go? Anyone interested in a Houston Mod meeting to go together?

Yeah, She was pretty entertaining.

Thanks for posting that article with the picture. After hearing her stories, that is definately the home I'm most looking forward to seeing.

I had seen the Logan house in pictures before, but I wasn't sure of its location prior to the forum so I drove by last night just to glance. It must have been amazing with all the landscape cover before that development moved in next door. I know the bayou is open for all, and developers have just as much right to the next piece of property that we do... its just a shame the words developers and sensitivity can never be used favorably in the same sentence.

Anyways.. This will be my first RDA tour. Looking forward to it and I hope to have lots of pictures to share next week.

I'll be out of town tomorrow, so I intend to see all 8 on Sunday.

Edited by Highway6

It's tomorrow and Sunday!

I can't do the meet up thing because of the docent thing.

The woman on Logan also had way bigger problems than my noise issue. I mean, just picture yourself building your dream home and living there peacefully until a high-rise developer decides to move in next door. I'm looking forward to seeing that house as well.

Lots of Houston Mod people will be docents, so keep an eye out for them/us.

Jason

When is the tour? I didn't put it on my calendar. Is anyone planning to go? Anyone interested in a Houston Mod meeting to go together?

403 Westminster is breathtaking! It went right to #4 my top 10 mods of Houston list (maybe I'll post that soon). Get out and see it today!

Jason

It's tomorrow and Sunday!

I can't do the meet up thing because of the docent thing.

The woman on Logan also had way bigger problems than my noise issue. I mean, just picture yourself building your dream home and living there peacefully until a high-rise developer decides to move in next door. I'm looking forward to seeing that house as well.

Lots of Houston Mod people will be docents, so keep an eye out for them/us.

Jason

The house on Westminster was the kind of house that you hated to leave. The view of the bayou, the pool, the windows, the various levels, the granite tubs, etc. etc. I could go on and on. I certainly didn't relish the thought of going back to my cooped-up townhouse! The docent there said she's seen many mod houses in that area fall victim to the McMansion invasion -- thank goodness someone stepped up and saved this jewel.

• The title was changed to Rice Design Alliance Tour Mods