Gringo's/Gringeaux

native_Houstonian

Wow, that's cool! I always wondered why there wasn't a "59 Diner" on 59. It makes so much sense. I think 59 Diner is a strong enough brand to make it in this location. Sugar Shack and Taste of Houston never had a chance.

I think you are correct in this. Sugar Shack and Taste of Houston are single restaurants and do not have the backing of a larger parent company, the one on Sw Freeway where the only ones in Houston at all. From what I just read in the two reviews on Yahoo about the Sugar Shack the service and food were horrible. I had personally gone to Taste of Houston, and found it lacking as well. I really hope that something can make it in that location. Good luck to 59 Diner, Ill definitely have to try it out.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think you are correct in this. Sugar Shack and Taste of Houston are single restaurants and do not have the backing of a larger parent company, the one on Sw Freeway where the only ones in Houston at all. From what I just read in the two reviews on Yahoo about the Sugar Shack the service and food were horrible. I had personally gone to Taste of Houston, and found it lacking as well. I really hope that something can make it in that location. Good luck to 59 Diner, Ill definitely have to try it out.

Those reviews were harsh. That and the fact they stopped serving lunch. Business lunches are a big source of income and they threw it away.

• 1 month later...

Taste of Houston sucked. Service was terrible, decor was terrible, food was so so. I know they wouldn't last. I'm glad 59 Diner is opening, I hope they stick to their proven formula of being a diner. That's why the original is still around. Gringeuax's Seafood is terrible. The food is mediocre and the price is high for what you get. The decor is kind of iffy, with shiny tables that never seem to get clean, yuk! Gringo's Mexican is great though, we eat there all the time.

• 1 month later...
Any news on what's going up in its place?

Rooms To Go. It's a furniture store chain based in Florida that claims to have the nation's largest furniture inventory.

They currently have 13 Texas showrooms: 10 in DFW, two in Austin, and one in San Antonio.

Texas Architectural Barriers Project Report:

http://www.license.state.tx.us/ABDataSearc...=EABPRJA7802855

Rooms To Go:

http://www.roomstogo.com

The City of Stafford report on this property (go to the top of Page 2):

http://www.cityofstafford.com/agendas/PZMi...07/07-04-10.pdf

They are also building a location in Spring, another near Baybrook Mall, and yet another near Willowbrook Mall.

I noticed that the big sign outside this restaurant is down as I drove by at 70 this morning. I didn't get a good look at the building itself. Does anyone know if it's closed?

I heard only mediocre reviews of this restaurant so it wouldn't surprise me if it didn't make it. I wish something could occupy that space and be successful though.

They're just changing their sign. I drove by there today at lunch and there was a crew putting up the new one

I noticed that the big sign outside this restaurant is down as I drove by at 70 this morning. I didn't get a good look at the building itself. Does anyone know if it's closed?

I heard only mediocre reviews of this restaurant so it wouldn't surprise me if it didn't make it. I wish something could occupy that space and be successful though.

not to change the topic but its funny how the times have changed. I wonder how many people out there know that the term Gringo is really a racial slur against anglo people? yep sure is. It was only used in old films or TV shows when a person was expressing their complete & utter disdane for anyone of the anglo race. There was a Mex restaurant in Baybrook area called Pinche's and that was/is another really dirty word (in Spanish). I wont even tell you (on this forum) what it means. Ok, I'm done. Peace! I guess anything is acceptable these days. Peace, again!

There was a Mex restaurant in Baybrook area called Pinche's and that was/is another really dirty word (in Spanish). I wont even tell you (on this forum) what it means. Ok, I'm done. Peace! I guess anything is acceptable these days. Peace, again!

the pinche one surprises me still even though i drive by it almost every afternoon!

the pinche one surprises me still even though i drive by it almost every afternoon!

Last I saw it may have changed names. Either went out of business or was bought out or someone complained. The term is tightly associated with... well...has to do with carnal knowledge related acts. How's that for Political Correctness!

Maybe we should have a sub-topic of curse words in other languages. That way everyone can know when someone is saying something dirty about them in public, any takers? >:) I know some good ones in Italiano!

59 Diner has had some success taking over spaces left by other restaurants. The original location near Shepherd where Phil's was is still going strong, and the one on I10 near Memorial City that moved into the old Macaroni Grill seems to be doing okay. That one is a relocation from a spot on I10 near Wirt, which itself was a takeover from a previous food place that I can't recall. That location was successful, it was just in the way of the I10 expansion monster.

I think they know what they're doing, though I haven't been to one in years.

59 Diner has had some success taking over spaces left by other restaurants. The original location near Shepherd where Phil's was is still going strong, and the one on I10 near Memorial City that moved into the old Macaroni Grill seems to be doing okay. That one is a relocation from a spot on I10 near Wirt, which itself was a takeover from a previous food place that I can't recall. That location was successful, it was just in the way of the I10 expansion monster.

I think they know what they're doing, though I haven't been to one in years.

They do that! Funny, the other Macaroni Grill off I-10 was converted to a 59 diner, sort of ties this thread together!

I can't imagine since both restaurants sound the same verbally, it caused confusion I guess.

So instead of Gringaux's and Gringo's, we now have Gringo's Grille and Gringo's

Okay, I was a dork and called the restaraunt and asked them directly.

They change the name becuase they were getting associated with Pappadeaux's, reviews.

From what I read, they were not getting great ones either.

They wanted to be original so they rid themselves of the sign, and made some minor tweeks to the menu.

They now get to start "fresh".

Hence the Gringo's Grille name.

• 2 months later...
Drove by 59 Diner this morning and it was packed.

Same here. 59 Diner is one of many kinds of restaurants you see frequently in West Stafford/Meadows Place (and I am talking about breakfast joints, along with seafood kitchens and buffets). It's the type of place a restaurant goes to when a more physically conservative city (i.e. Sugar Land) won't loosen up to please a chain's demands (whether it be signage or materials used).

BTW, the Harley-Davidson dealership is soon going vacant, but it's not going out of business...it's moving to Rosenberg in a bold move to become the biggest Harley-Davidson dealership in the nation, with an amphitheater, meeting rooms, outdoor space, and a Quaker Steak & Lube to boot.

Source: http://www.fortbendnow.com/business/3417/r...t-harley-dealer

That leads me to another question: Who's going to fill that space. I'm thinking something like a luxury car dealership (i.e. something not present at Momentum for the moment), a luxury auto repair shop, something of a luxury niche going in that space.

• 3 months later...
Okay, I was a dork and called the restaraunt and asked them directly.

They change the name becuase they were getting associated with Pappadeaux's, reviews.

From what I read, they were not getting great ones either.

They wanted to be original so they rid themselves of the sign, and made some minor tweeks to the menu.

They now get to start "fresh".

Hence the Gringo's Grille name.

The second time was not a charm, they closed down for good!

Archived