Unbuilt Freeway Section?

I read an article once that mentioned that originally the intent was to connect Spur 527 (the downtown split) up Brazos to the Pierce Elevated.  The "Houston Freeways" book doesn't mention it, and I've never seen it on a planning map.  Does anyone happen to know?

The extension of Spur 527 to I-45 was never officially planned, but it did appear in a few planning maps of the Houston freeway system circa 1953 when the master plan was under development. One version showed the Southwest Freeway following Spur 527 and then terminating at I-45 on the southwest side of downtown. See page 13 in the Houston Freeways book for the map.

By 1954 the master plan had the Southwest Freeway in its current alignment, but the connection to I-45 via Spur 527 was still included in at least one map (see page 14 in Houston Freeways). By the end of 1954 the freeway plan was complete and Spur 527 was strictly a distributor route onto downtown streets. The connection to I-45 (via Spur 527) was dead at that time. Within a few years construction was underway and Spur 527 opened in 1961.

Even if the need for connecting Spur 527 to I-45 had been realized in 1954, there was no money to buy up the right-of-way and build it. In fact, local officials couldn't even come up with the money to buy the right-of-way for the Pierce elevated. They finally managed to come up with enough money to purchase half a block along Pierce. If they had purchased the full block as they should have, the Pierce Elevated could have been built wider and there wouldn't be a need for connecting Spur 527 to I-45.

I live about 100 yards from Spur 527, and am one of those people who freaked out when TXDOT proposed rebuilding it. Like many other people, I was sure that the cut-through traffic would destroy our residential neighborhood.

Turns out we were wrong. Spur 527's closing increased traffic on W Alabama a bit, but not to the extent that they (we) feared; it makes me wonder why they didn't just rip that useless artery out and plant trees. The temporary exit on Main St. seems to serve the purpose of getting off 59 just fine.

Spur 527 should never have been built to begin with; that it's being rebuilt is another sad example of too much money being thrown at freeways. Thank goodness that the original plan to connect it with the Pierce Elevated never materialized. Such a shame it exists at all.

Thanks for the comprehensive info, MaxC! I'm glad we have an expert around here! :)

I was disappointed to see Spur 527 reconstructed as a replica without any redesign considerations. In the Main Street master plan a few years back it was envisioned as a grade-level boulevard. If it had to remain in freeway configuration, it could at least have been below-ground level, rather than cutting a huge wall through the neighborhood. It also would have been nice to consider eliminating the exit that goes up onto Brazos to help eliminate some of the through traffic on that side of Midtown. I still think that it will be difficult to ever fully develop Midtown as a residential neighborhood when it is cut through with a series of huge streets all serving as freeway on-ramps.

I live about 100 yards from Spur 527, and am one of those people who freaked out when TXDOT proposed rebuilding it. Like many other people, I was sure that the cut-through traffic would destroy our residential neighborhood.

Turns out we were wrong. Spur 527's closing increased traffic on W Alabama a bit, but not to the extent that they (we) feared; it makes me wonder why they didn't just rip that useless artery out and plant trees. The temporary exit on Main St. seems to serve the purpose of getting off 59 just fine.

I think you may have answered your own question. If people were upset that traffic could temporarily increase on one of your streets, can you imagine the ruckus if TxDOT said, "as part of rebuilding US 59, we will remove Spur 527 all together?". I would think that people would be more upset at the notion of that traffic possibly coming into your area on a permanent basis, even though TxDOT knew all along what you have come to realize about Alabama's traffic.

I would think TxDOT would not have had much of a problem not rebuilding the spur. Less money to spend.

Thanks for the comprehensive info, MaxC!  I'm glad we have an expert around here!  :)

I was disappointed to see Spur 527 reconstructed as a replica without any redesign considerations. 

I think the trenching of US 59 consumed any funds that could have gone to enhancement. The added cost was around $30 million, and I think all of it was local discretionary funds. Of course, the neighborhood will benefit from the removal of the US 59 Montrose elevated.

At the dawning of the freeway era (circa 1953), the objective was to make downtown highly accessible from the freeways. I think the downtown business establishment was very influential back then - probably called all the shots. Distributors into downtown (such as Spur 527) were part of that plan.

Whether you like Spur 527 or not, I think there's no doubt that it is a very effective collector/distributor into downtown.

If only it was below-grade. That would have been so nice. Think about it, less traffic noise, planted trees, it would be a nice 6 lane freeway with no feeder and just exits and entrances. I wish the Katy would look like that even with the feeders, having a below-grade Katy Freeway would be great. At least Spur 527 would have good looking columns over overpasses.

They've begun construction on the Montrose overpass bridge arch. I wonder how long its going to be before they move traffic to the other, newly-built side of 59. You have to look out for some major potholes on the crickety side that was formerly the southbound lanes.