Channel 55

I really don't mean to nitpick on this station, but what is up with it? Most of its entire evening/late night schedule - morning consists of paid programming/infomercials. They yank programs off their schedule without notice and replace them with infomercials. Their website hasn't been updated in probably two years; might as well take it down. They never respond to my e-mail. I've called them a couple of times in the past and they were rude to me. It used to be a good station. I still long for them to bring back "The Alfred Hitchcock Hour" since they took it off a year ago and hopefully "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" in addition since Universal is poking along with releasing the series on DVD and it hasn't aired anywhere nationally in a quite awhile.

Come on, 55, get it together. And please bring back Alfred.

We don't have any good independent stations.

I really don't mean to nitpick on this station, but what is up with it? Most of its entire evening/late night schedule - morning consists of paid programming/infomercials. They yank programs off their schedule without notice and replace them with infomercials. Their website hasn't been updated in probably two years; might as well take it down. They never respond to my e-mail. I've called them a couple of times in the past and they were rude to me. It used to be a good station. I still long for them to bring back "The Alfred Hitchcock Hour" since they took it off a year ago and hopefully "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" in addition since Universal is poking along with releasing the series on DVD and it hasn't aired anywhere nationally in a quite awhile.

Come on, 55, get it together. And please bring back Alfred.

We don't have any good independent stations.

What are you doing calling them anyway? The only reason to call a TV station would be if they cut off the end of a football game to show "Heidi".

h-heidi6808.jpg

It used to cater to the elderly, now it's just a glorified ad page.

I guess one could see it that way. :lol: That's what I think when I see "Quincy" on 55 or one of those type of shows. I myself am in no way elderly. I just happen to love old B&W mystery/horror anthology shows from the '50s and '60s as well as some of the old sitcoms. I'll watch them any day over current TV. ^_^

I just wish 55 would do something about itself.

55, oh yeah. Forgot they even existed since they took off Alfred Hitchcock.

So you're the other fan. Maybe they didn't have enough of us.

What was your favorite episode? I like the one titled "The Jar" about the country hillbilly who purchased a jar and its obscure contents from a midget at a sideshow. His wife became jealous over her husband's obsession with his jar and hired someone to steal it. Hillbilly retrieved it. The wife distroyed the contents. Hillbilly got mad, decapitated wife and put her head in the jar. :lol: Good stuff. There are a lot of good ones, but that one is my absolute favorite along with "Where the Woodbine Twineth". One of the few Hitchcock episodes that had more of a supernatural/fantasy twist. Creepy episode.

"The Jar":

AHTheJar.jpg

The dream Channel 55 is a 24 hour version of Channell 11 news. It's unfortunate such a good opportunity was wasted. Who owns Channel 55? Isn't it owned by BELO?

I wonder if they could take that channel nation wide like TBS and WGN did. Houston had a 24 hour news channel (News 24 Houston) that was doing ok, but Belo cut it to save money. By the way, what has went into the the old News 24 Houston Building, If anything?

55 (KTBU/Conroe, formerly KHIM) was bought by Channel 55 Broadcasting LLC (Donald E. Iloff Jr., manager) in July of 2004 for $6,000,000. It was previously owned by Christ Church of Conroe and Humanity Interested Media.

In January of 2006 it was bought by USFR Media Group (Gregory L. Brown, chairman/president/CEO) for $30,000,000.

"USFR" means US Farm & Ranch Supply Co. Inc., which is based in Houston. It also owns the HorseTV cable network.

• 4 weeks later...

First of all 55 needs to get a better transmission tower. It come in well at work which is 5 minutes from my house but I can't see the picture at all with the antenna at home. There is no way they will go to dish broadcasting so I can't catch reruns of I Love Lucy at home.

I can understand their need to be an ad page all day and that's fine by me cause I can't watch during the day anyway. I just wish they ran something like Nick @ Nite starting at 5 pm and going back to infomercials are midnight.

Twilight Zone is a good show that should be available more often.

First of all 55 needs to get a better transmission tower. It come in well at work which is 5 minutes from my house but I can't see the picture at all with the antenna at home.

It shouldn't be all that bad if you can pick up the other stations. Their transmitter is in Missouri City with all of the other Houston market stations.

Here's KTBU's signal

Here's KHOU's signal

Maybe you live in that little null to the southwest where KTBU's protecting some other signal?

Archived