The WBC

So, like, Korea beat us earlier today in the WBC, and it's the biggest thing to happen in Korea since the World Cup. International news coverage is huge over the event, but I'm curious if it's just as big a deal in America itself, and if Houston should make a strong push to host the event in someway next year at Minute Maid Park.

If the WBC were at Minute Maid Park, would you go out of your way to go, or is it not that big a deal?

So is this WBC a new thing or has it been around for awhile? Is some type of exibition before the regular season?

This is the first year. I think the idea at first was for it to be an exibition or showcase, but it's turned into a very serious competition. It has players from the MLB and all the other major baseball leagues that we didn't know about playing for bragging rights of being the best baseball country in the world.

In terms of the tournament showcasing players that we've never heard of, and showing MLB new potential talents, the tournament has been VERY successful. In terms of baseball being seen more as an international sport even though it's no longer in the Olympics, VERY successful. In terms of showcasing all the dominant baseball leagues as well as MLB, they succeeded. And in terms of the WBC getting similar world coverage as the World Series, Very sucessful, and in some countries, MORE successful than expected.

But in terms of showing that America's the best in baseball, the tournament hasn't proved that. We lost to Korea and Canada with our stars so far. In terms of showing American pride, doesn't seem like it. All the other countries have MAD flags in their stadiums waving as opposed to our team's fans just relaxing until they realize the game's closer than we expected.

It doesn't seem like America's taking the tournament nearly as seriously as everyone else. Might explain America's media coverage...

All I can say is Roger Clemens is over-exposed and commericalized.

He's starting to get on my nerves, just like the 10 month long baseball season.

You don't think Clements deserves the exposure he get? Look at his baseball career. I don't see anything over-rated about him as a player at all. Where do you see it?

HEB commericals. News radio flirtation on "What wil Roger do". A truck commerical.

Tim Melton slobbering over his next move.

His stupid kid in the Astros farm system. "Roger playing with Son".

ugh

it's too much if you ask me.

I mean, the stories have gotten to the point of:

"Roger took a poop at Spring Training"

It's just about as assaine as the "David Carr gets haircut stories".

HEB commericals. News radio flirtation on "What wil Roger do". A truck commerical.

Tim Melton slobbering over his next move.

His stupid kid in the Astros farm system. "Roger playing with Son".

ugh

it's too much if you ask me.

I mean, the stories have gotten to the point of:

"Roger took a poop at Spring Training"

It's just about as assaine as the "David Carr gets haircut stories".

:lol:

--------

If you haven't been watching the WBC, I think you're missing out. I haven't seen this kind of excitement for baseball except when the World Series is going on.

Here in Korea, they're preparing for a World Cup-size viewing party for their semifinal game against Japan. Should be a classic. Worth watching tonight.

• The title was changed to The WBC