Bandit Signs = Trash On A Stick

mrfootball

Anyone else growing tired of the neverending barrage of bandit signs at every intersection you come to?

Legislation was proposed, and passed all the way up until it was tabled on the final vote as Lawmakers were 'concerned' it would affect their ability to stick campaign signs as well (they still would've had that right).

Hopefully we can get this ordinance passed, these bandit signs junk up our public areas and cost us money, as we have to spend taxpayer money to have crews come out and remove them.

The proposed legislation would allow the local authorities to now go after the 'Advertiser' and not be hamstrung by current laws that only allow them to fine the actual person (usually an undocumented day laborer) who put the sign into the ground in the first place. This way, we'll get this cleaned up in a hurry with fines being levied against advertisers, raising money for the county, and encouraging the Bandit advertisers to find more legitimate and less publicly offensive ways to advertise that doesn't involve littering.

For now, until the new legislation is passed Citizens who see persons posting bandit signs should call the Pct. 4 Constables at 281-376-3472; Citations can be written to those who post bandit signs at the time they are illegally placed in the ground or on poles.

http://e1488ca.org/Community%20News/bandit%20leg%20fails.htm

http://www.hcnonline.com/site/news.cfm?new...id=532256&rfi=6

This is a big problem near Lake Houston.

Harris County was out in force Saturday at Atoscocita Road and 1960 removing them.

First time I had ever seen this, and it was welcome.

I thought about getting my own chainsaw and do a little work on the ones put up by home builders. They look solid and built to last, but they still are bandits.

One thing I more or less commend Mayor White on is that he was very serious about reducing this scourge in the city limits and he has to noticeable levels (at least, by me). I remember seeing quite a few of them, particularly in new growth areas like in SE Houston near Blackhawk and the Beltway or near Royal Oaks in west Houston. It's still not completed erradicated, but it's much better than it was, say, four years ago.

However, the unincorporated part of west Harris County, especially along Fry Road and FM 529 is completely out of control. I realize that thousands of houses are being built here and the builders want to advertise, but it's just over-the-top out there. And of course, the signs don't always stay in the ground and become scattered all over the place once they fall and a good wind comes along.

It's my hope that Harris County officials began to see the benefits of full-level management, including street lights and sidewalks, to go along with their newfound recognition of bandit signage.

Just think of all the revenue that could be generated by slapping fines on the bandit sign advertisers. I predict the activity would be curtailed rather quickly (just as illegal immigration would if we punished those companies and business that hired them).

One would think it would be a boon to billboard, radio, web, or TV advertisers if they were forced to have to advertiser via legitimate channels.

Guest danax
Just think of all the revenue that could be generated by slapping fines on the bandit sign advertisers. I predict the activity would be curtailed rather quickly (just as illegal immigration would if we punished those companies and business that hired them).

I've been thinking the exact same thing. It's one thing for Mayor White to make a proclamation but it's another to get enforcement that results in stopping the behavior. HPD will never remove the signs as they're way too busy so only random residents do, and sometimes they get heat from the merchants putting the signs out. The city needs to hire a patrol to collect them daily and fine on the 2nd offense, as some don't know it's illegal with the city limits. The revenue would more than pay for the employees etc. and the behavior would stop.

They probably don't want to face a court challenge. Look at the mess the Chronicle caused by fighting for its so-called free speech rights in the public right-of-way. Now children darting in and out of traffic with fists full of M&Ms is considered free speech.

So am I to understand if a group of us were to take down the millions of signs put up by homebuilders along 529-Fry Road we would actually be doing a service for Houston and not illegal at all. Is this correct? I had met a gentlman a while back who did that. Said he couldn't stand the graffeti on a stick.

why dont they put up some of those community bulliten board thingies where people could stick up their crap? then people wouldnt be so inclined to put up signs in the esplanade.

Too bad there arent more signs down on some of the streets in the westbury area. they would cover up the old diapers and draw attention away from the waist-deep grass that the city mustve not mowed since 1987

• The title was changed to Bandit Signs = Trash On A Stick

Archived