I Have Questions On The East End

Gulfgate HEB seems to cater to basic needs..which, is actually just what the area needs. There is though, a segment that I think wouldn`t mind paying a little extra for a nicer store. The Eastwood Kroger is dark and dirty and kinda depressing..the shoppers at HEB seem to include 3 or 4 generations of family in the shopping experience...and who doesnt love 3 and 4 yr olds running between you legs while shopping. I have started going to th flagship Kroger on W. Gray (?) Its somewhere between Cent. Market and a regular store.. Pleasant experience...

• 2 weeks later...

I have visited with the Waterhill Agent and Perry Homes Agent about the East End developments. Both agents are saying the HEB is planning a store in this area. I just got off the phone with HEB Real Estate Division here in Houston and she laughed and said NO SUCH plans are in the works. Maybe after more people actually live there, but not at the moment. I'm not sure where Waterhill and Perry get their information, but it isn't from HEB Corporate.

That said, I wouldn't let this be a reason not to live on this side of town. It seems to have alot of potential and is priced nicely for now. I am looking at one of the Perry homes, priced at 200k. Randalls Midtown is close enough for now.

That Kroger is where I used to buy the cheapest beer known to mankind: Texas Pride. Brewed by the Pearl Brewery, but not as "high-fallutin'" as Pearl. I think it was $2.39/six-pack.

This was about 15 years ago, but we never had any problems in that Kroger or anywhere else in the area. I used to eat at some of the fine dining establishments in the area all the time. What was the one on Lockwood...Taqueria Acapulco? We also used to spend a lot of time at Catal Huyek/Harvey's Club DeLuxe back then (old-timers and newbies would both know that one as The Axiom.)

I think it's a great part of town. You should buy there...the more the merrier!

The last time I was in San Antonio was back in 1972. I remember seeing the lights of the Pearl brewery as we passed through town. I didn't know that Pearl was still brewed. I do remember Texas Pride. The other Texas beer that I remember is Lone Star. Is it still brewed?

I have visited with the Waterhill Agent and Perry Homes Agent about the East End developments. Both agents are saying the HEB is planning a store in this area. I just got off the phone with HEB Real Estate Division here in Houston and she laughed and said NO SUCH plans are in the works. Maybe after more people actually live there, but not at the moment. I'm not sure where Waterhill and Perry get their information, but it isn't from HEB Corporate.

That said, I wouldn't let this be a reason not to live on this side of town. It seems to have alot of potential and is priced nicely for now. I am looking at one of the Perry homes, priced at 200k. Randalls Midtown is close enough for now.

All the sales agents name random developments that no one has heard of to entice buyers. I heard a new Kroger, a Starbucks (even though the one just opened in Midtown), retail plazas...meanwhile there are maybe 200-300 townhomes tops in the near east end right now, and maybe 600 if you include the area near Clinton. And that is probably stretching it. I'm thinking its at least 2-3 years until the east end sees serious retail development.

That all being said, I do agree with you...high, high potential. I think the near east end (area closest to GRB, Chinatown) is smaller than Midtown and will be easier to "connect the dots in" so to speak. personal opinon though. I would love to see more of the industrial warehouses get converted to either residential or retail. I look at the Herrin building and think more of that would be great to see.

All the sales agents name random developments that no one has heard of to entice buyers. I heard a new Kroger, a Starbucks (even though the one just opened in Midtown), retail plazas...meanwhile there are maybe 200-300 townhomes tops in the near east end right now, and maybe 600 if you include the area near Clinton. And that is probably stretching it. I'm thinking its at least 2-3 years until the east end sees serious retail development.

That all being said, I do agree with you...high, high potential. I think the near east end (area closest to GRB, Chinatown) is smaller than Midtown and will be easier to "connect the dots in" so to speak. personal opinon though. I would love to see more of the industrial warehouses get converted to either residential or retail. I look at the Herrin building and think more of that would be great to see.

Just wait until KBR sells its 84 acres on the bayou at Clinton and Hirsch. They've been talking about that project for years, but word on the street is that they've been making progress recently. When that thing gets developed, it'll set off a new wave of smaller townhome projects hoping to cash in on all people weighing their home-buying options in the area. It'll also justify a new grocery store, quite possibly on-site if the developers of the KBR tract have any sense about them.

Guest danax
Incredible. Total misuse of a TIRZ. He should be thrown in jail.

I agree. Pretty outrageous. Midtowners awake!

Good article but off topic so a separate topic has been created; "3rd Ward And Gentrification" in the Other Neighborood section.

Guest danax
..meanwhile there are maybe 200-300 townhomes tops in the near east end right now, and maybe 600 if you include the area near Clinton. And that is probably stretching it. I'm thinking its at least 2-3 years until the east end sees serious retail development.

Speaking of connecting the dots; one of the newest dots is on Navigation. Here's a new one, Navigation Place and, along with several others in the beginning stages, should soon create another mass that will swarm the Ninfa's area. Those neighborhoods between Navigation and the Bayou, with their little hills, will likely get turned upside down.

I also noticed that they tore down an old corrugated box factory on Commerce and the sign offers leasing of artist's spaces of 1200-1800 sq ft.

This Northern East End is really taking off. It will be interesting to see if the rail/BRT ends up running on Navigation instead of Harrisburg.

Garnet Coleman has to be one of my least favorite politicians. Of course can you blame him? If this area gentrifies he will lose votes. Thats what it is all about.

And using TIRZ for buying land to take off market is counter to all of what the TIRZ is for. Its really horrible to see that TIRZ money is being used like this. If I were building in that TIRZ I would be livid with them and voice my concerns every day.

A very interesting and recent article. It's long, but its a good read.

http://governing.com/articles/3houston.htm

[/quote

• 3 weeks later...
Gulfgate HEB seems to cater to basic needs..which, is actually just what the area needs. There is though, a segment that I think wouldn`t mind paying a little extra for a nicer store. The Eastwood Kroger is dark and dirty and kinda depressing..the shoppers at HEB seem to include 3 or 4 generations of family in the shopping experience...and who doesnt love 3 and 4 yr olds running between you legs while shopping. I have started going to th flagship Kroger on W. Gray (?) Its somewhere between Cent. Market and a regular store.. Pleasant experience...

I will say this for HEB, if you EVER have a problem, please email or call the corporate offices. I recently had a concern that an item went up from 2 to 2.34 in the timespan of a month. I spoke with HEB and mentioned that the same item is 1.99 at Target and 1.96 at Walmart. A few days later, they returned my call and lowered the price back to $2. I"ve only done this once, but at least the experience was positive.

Yes they DO cater to people in the area, but I must say that they have some of the freshest seafood in Houston. There is definitely not fishy smell when i cook their tilapia or shrimp.

• 1 year later...

My partner and I just moved to the "Upper East Side" by Clinton and Hirsch Rd - just in the shadows of Downtown. We were attracted to this area for many reasons besides the fact that is still affordable compared to The Heights, Montrose, Midtown, and Rice Military ( where we moved from).

I have lived in Houston for over 10 years and I had witnessed how certain neighborhoods like Bellaire, Spring Branch, Montrose, and the Galleria area have been transformed by redevelopment of new townhomes. We just moved to our new house early this year and we are very happy in this neighboorhood, not only in the way is being transformed, but also in the increase of property values. Our house experienced a 60% appraisal value from HCAD from last year!!!!!!

If you are looking for affordable housing, whether new construction or a new townhouse, this is the neighborhood to buy right now. I would advise you not to wait long, there are still good deals left and developers are buying lots in this area for new construction.

I would recommend you contact a realtor that is familiar with inner city market trends, but you should do your homework and research house values at www.hcad.org for the 77020 zipcode.

Good luck in your house buying experiece and hope you decide to move to the Upper East Side.

My partner and I just moved to the "Upper East Side" by Clinton and Hirsch Rd - just in the shadows of Downtown. We were attracted to this area for many reasons besides the fact that is still affordable compared to The Heights, Montrose, Midtown, and Rice Military ( where we moved from).

I have lived in Houston for over 10 years and I had witnessed how certain neighborhoods like Bellaire, Spring Branch, Montrose, and the Galleria area have been transformed by redevelopment of new townhomes. We just moved to our new house early this year and we are very happy in this neighboorhood, not only in the way is being transformed, but also in the increase of property values. Our house experienced a 60% appraisal value from HCAD from last year!!!!!!

If you are looking for affordable housing, whether new construction or a new townhouse, this is the neighborhood to buy right now. I would advise you not to wait long, there are still good deals left and developers are buying lots in this area for new construction.

I would recommend you contact a realtor that is familiar with inner city market trends, but you should do your homework and research house values at www.hcad.org for the 77020 zipcode.

Good luck in your house buying experiece and hope you decide to move to the Upper East Side.

Upper East

Did you buy house or a town house?

Upper East

Did you buy house or a town house?

We bought a small house on a 5,000 sq ft lot - really a steal - you can't buy such sized lot with a livable place anywhere inside the Loop.

We looked for months last year by Eastwood but didn't find anything decent for less than $100K.

We love it here!!!

We bought a small house on a 5,000 sq ft lot - really a steal - you can't buy such sized lot with a livable place anywhere inside the Loop.

We looked for months last year by Eastwood but didn't find anything decent for less than $100K.

There's some areas inside the loop where you could buy several houses for $100k....

• The title was changed to I Have Questions On The East End

Archived