New Oriental Market

zaphod

I noticed it the other day. Its called "BCS market" or something like that, and it has asian lettering on it.

Im pretty geeked,you never know what your going to find in those places.

Anyways, for those unsure of where it is, its in the old big-lots, which was the main section of what used to be the college station K-mart(it has been subdivided and also houses a tractor supply store and a goodwill store.

Its at the northwest corner of 2818(harvey mitchell parkway) and Texas Ave.

Im glad to see something cool move in there. something tells me this place will do okay in that space. That shopping center reminds me of the old midtown mall in killeen.Yep,you heard right, The killeen midtown mall was a strip center styled indoor mall like one in brownwood only the one in brownwood full with shops in the indoor part and the outdoor part while the killeen one has just a day-care in the indoor part and like 2 stores on the outdoor part. Anyways, it reminds me of the old midtown mall because it cant seem to keep any sort of stores in business for long unless they are goodwill or a pawn shop or a tractor supply.But the college station one isnt a mall of course...

anyone else have any news about it?

I noticed it the other day. Its called "BCS market" or something like that, and it has asian lettering on it.

Im pretty geeked,you never know what your going to find in those places.

Anyways, for those unsure of where it is, its in the old big-lots, which was the main section of what used to be the college station K-mart(it has been subdivided and also houses a tractor supply store and a goodwill store.

Its at the northwest corner of 2818(harvey mitchell parkway) and Texas Ave.

Im glad to see something cool move in there. something tells me this place will do okay in that space. That shopping center reminds me of the old midtown mall in killeen.Yep,you heard right, The killeen midtown mall was a strip center styled indoor mall like one in brownwood only the one in brownwood full with shops in the indoor part and the outdoor part while the killeen one has just a day-care in the indoor part and like 2 stores on the outdoor part. Anyways, it reminds me of the old midtown mall because it cant seem to keep any sort of stores in business for long unless they are goodwill or a pawn shop or a tractor supply.But the college station one isnt a mall of course...

anyone else have any news about it?

Thats good! Ihave always hated that whole shopping center and that area of College Station. Its nasty looking, but this would be good. Nothing that goes in that center ever last. Does anyone ever go to that PutPut Golf? Is it still open?

Thats good! Ihave always hated that whole shopping center and that area of College Station. Its nasty looking, but this would be good. Nothing that goes in that center ever last. Does anyone ever go to that PutPut Golf? Is it still open?

thats a good question. havent been over on that little road in a while.

as for that area, it could be worse. at least we still have the little walmart and the albertsons. i hope we dont get a super walmart so that one stays open, and i hope that albertsons stays in business. course albertsons is expensive :P

thats a good question. havent been over on that little road in a while.

The Putt_Putt is still open, however they have filled in the bumper boat area with dirt and the 2 golf courses could use some upgrading/maintenance/cleaning. I think they have done some work recently to upgrade the arcade area, and the batting cages are still operating (or they were last time I was there).

• 2 months later...
The putt putt in killeen is nicer at least. i think they will update sooner or later, or just go out of business. i dont see them staying in business being all ghetto like that.

I agree, I think they will have to do some major renovations or close down once Booneville Station opens. It bothers me that they let the place go so much and will only be forced to change by a competitor or the threat of going out of business. What ever happened to providing a good product/service? I mean, how hard would it have been to upgrade it a little at a time and make sure that things are fixed when broken or worn out. Its just sad. Bad management and ownership I guess.

Also, in reference to the Wal Mart comments, I can't stand the Wal Mart in College Station and I would love for a Super Wal Mart to open. The current store is too crowded. The isles are too close together and you have to play chicken with the other shoppers. Not to mention that it is kind of grimy. I would be in favor of a remodel of the current Wal Mart, but how often do you see that...they'll just build a Super when a suitable lot is approved by the city. (Wal Mart has tried a couple of locations in CS but been shot down.)

about walmart:we dont need a empty building like a obsolete weenie walmart. I have lived in small towns and i have seen closed walmarts sit empty forever. Plus, i hate walmart so i want them to be stuck with their crappy location in their teeny store.

EDIT: i take that back. The far south part of town needs a general retailer like walmart because currently you would have to go all the way to target on texas ave or the wally world on briarcrest(noticed a lot of people just avoid the weenie walmart on 2818).

Maybe the city could make some deal where walmart could build out on greens prairie road if they agreed to tear down the old store(we all know nothing will want to move into it). Look at the old bryan walmart. Its all empty and nasty sitting by the tejas center. Walmarts is like an albatross, you shoot one and then you be wearing it around your neck.

about walmart:we dont need a empty building like a obsolete weenie walmart. I have lived in small towns and i have seen closed walmarts sit empty forever. Plus, i hate walmart so i want them to be stuck with their crappy location in their teeny store.

EDIT: i take that back. The far south part of town needs a general retailer like walmart because currently you would have to go all the way to target on texas ave or the wally world on briarcrest(noticed a lot of people just avoid the weenie walmart on 2818).

Maybe the city could make some deal where walmart could build out on greens prairie road if they agreed to tear down the old store(we all know nothing will want to move into it). Look at the old bryan walmart. Its all empty and nasty sitting by the tejas center. Walmarts is like an albatross, you shoot one and then you be wearing it around your neck.

I totally agree with you. About the only things I have ever seen move into empty Wal Marts are SteinMart (we already have one), Hobby Lobby (have one), and Bigs Lots (just got rid of one). They definitely become eye sores. I really like the idea of making them agree to tear down the existing WalMart once the new is completed.

I too hate WalMart, but this is america and almost everyone winds up needing to go to WalMart for something. For me it usually at midnight when nothing else is open and I need a printer cartridge or something. Normally I would just drive to Bryan and use theirs but in a crunch I go to the crappy one so, it would be nice to have one in CS.

Honestly though, I couldn't care less. I would rather have a Super Target or better HEB location. HEB is much like WalMart but you just can't beat the prices.

Archived