U.S. Naval Hospital Houston/United States Veterans Administration Hospital At 2002 Holcombe Dr.

Designed by Alfred C. Finn in 1945, the Naval Hospital was located on a 118-acre site donated by the George H. Hermann Estate.  In 1946, the hospital transferred into the United States Veterans Administration Hospital.

Edit: This would have been at Marlborough Drive and Almeda Road.

Marlborough Drive was renamed to Holcombe Boulevard a decade later. 

The Naval hospital sits exactly where the current Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center is located.  The address to the current VA hospital is 2002 Holcombe Blvd if you want to use it as a reference, or mapping point.  I researched, for weeks, the address on Marlborough Drive.  I could never find it.  Should we just use the current VA hospital address? 2002 Marlborough Drive?

If I recall correctly, there was a Baylor College of Medicine team working at the Naval hospital as well. Maybe even MD Anderson and Hermann Hospital as well?

Found a rare photo of the Naval Hospital building signage.  You don't see this everyday.

PQcuWab.jpeg

• Thanks 1

On 3/15/2024 at 9:07 PM, Highrise Tower said:

Should we just use the current VA hospital address? 2002 Marlborough Drive?

If Houston has an online GIS system, you should be able to find the Marlborough Drive address.  In some cities, you can click a plot of land on a map and it shows you a list of all the legal and alternate addresses.  But I haven't looked for Houston's yet.

But for now, I think use the current building's address just so it can be mapped.

• Thanks 1

• The title was changed to U.S. Naval Hospital Houston/United States Veterans Administration Hospital At 2002 Holcombe Dr.