The Blue Bird Circle Crippled Children's Hospital At 3020 San Jacinto St.

I noticed an article from 100 years ago that said the Methodist Hospital was moving to a (new) home, which was the former Dr. Oscar L. Norsworthy Hospital in Midtown. That would mean there was a previous building.

Maybe, and more of a church funded operation, the Methodist Hospital started out in this single story residential home?

Anyone know anything about this?

OxNtHWL.png

25 minutes ago, Highrise Tower said:

I noticed an article from 100 years ago that said the Methodist Hospital was moving to a (new) home, which was the former Dr. Oscar L. Norsworthy Hospital in Midtown. That would mean there was a previous building.

Maybe, and more of a church funded operation, the Methodist Hospital started out in this single story residential home?

Anyone know anything about this?

OxNtHWL.png

In 1923, Methodist was located at 3020 San Jacinto

image.png.b8782c9921cb4d4443acdbf3a4bcfde4.png

I haven't found anything earlier than that, but I haven't searched every directory yet. The hospital was founded in 1919. That picture looks like it was taken in the 1940's or 1950's. Possibly the 1930's.

• Thanks 1

• The title was changed to The Blue Bird Circle Crippled Children's Hospital At 3020 San Jacinto St.

Found it!

This is the The Blue Bird Circle Crippled Children's Hospital AKA "Little Hospital" or "Cottage". From what I read, this was located on the grounds of Methodist Hospital.  In the 1930s, that would have been 3020 San Jacinto Street?

The Blue Bird organization was affiliated (at first) with Arabia Temple Crippled Children's Hospital (now Shiner's Hospital.)

The small hospital was developed/funded by Richard and Annie Crain. The developers of the Houston inner-suburban city Southside Place. Richard Crain's business was called Crain Ready-Cut House Company.  The company's architect, C.O. Bovee, designed the hospital.

I hear conflicting stories about which Houston hospital this particular building was built with. I heard the phrase Blue Bird Crippled Children's Hospital of Methodist Hospital.  Maybe Blue Bird, in 1923, was started with Shriner's Hospital.  A decade later, Houston Methodist joined and they codeveloped the Little Hospital.

A depiction of the hospital:

ahZNvmK.jpeg