Houston radio ratings - January, 2024

editor

https://radioinsight.com/ratings/houston-galveston/

For those of you who don't follow radio, Houston is market #6.

KODA/Houston (Sunny 99.1) is #1, which is not unusual.

KSBJ/Humble is #2, which doesn't surprise me too much since it puts so much into traditional advertising.    McDonald's and Coke didn't become huge by not advertising.

I haven't followed Houston radio in 20 years, so KRBE/Houston being 15th was a big surprise to me.  It used to be the dominant station in town.  I wonder what caused the wheels to come off.

I mostly use "I Heart Radio" for most of my music listening in the car. I listen to Rice Radio KTRU the most but also 790 KBME Sports. Rice Radio can only be picked up in a very small part of Houston close to Rice on over the air radio. I also listen to KPFT 90.1 and KHUF 88.7 for their news programs over the air.

On 2/27/2024 at 11:39 AM, hindesky said:

I mostly use "I Heart Radio" for most of my music listening in the car. I listen to Rice Radio KTRU the most but also 790 KBME Sports. Rice Radio can only be picked up in a very small part of Houston close to Rice on over the air radio. I also listen to KPFT 90.1 and KHUF 88.7 for their news programs over the air.

Ossim. What does that have to do with this topic?

1 hour ago, editor said:

Ossim. What does that have to do with this topic?

It shows why the ratings have gone down for the over the air stations, most people listen using apps. I prefer not hearing non stop commercials so I've switched.

10 hours ago, hindesky said:

It shows why the ratings have gone down for the over the air stations, most people listen using apps. I prefer not hearing non stop commercials so I've switched.

Actually, I just came here to apologize for my reply. It was unnecessarily bitchy.

Addressing your reply to my reply, the streaming apps are included in the ratings.  There's a popular notion that if you're listening to something on a phone or a computer that it doesn't count, but listening that way you're actually more actively, precisely, and thoroughly tracked for ratings and other purposes.

From the ratings link above, you can see the most popular streams in Houston are:

25. KHCB-FM/Houston
28. KHCB/League City
29. KILT/Houston
30. KKHH/Houston
35. KHMX/Houston

I was also surprised to see an HD subchannel on the list: KLOL-FM-HD2 is tied for 35.

What is it about KTRU-LP that you like?  Is there a particular show, or do you just like turning it on for a bit of random variety?  I do that with KPFT.  I don't always like what I hear, but I almost always hear something that is new to me.

Most of my radio listening is out-of-market these days.  

When I do listen to Houston stations, it's most often KUHF-HD2 (a rebroadcast of classical KSJN-HD2/Minneapolis), or KUHF-HD3 (a rebroadcast of alternative WXPN-HD2/Philadelphia).  

If I'm in the car, it's either KKHH (AC The Spot), or KEYH.  KEYH is a weird thing.  It plays 70's and 80's hits, but because it lost the land under its transmitter, it's only running 100 watts — down from 10,000.  So, hard to hear in most of Houston.

4 hours ago, editor said:

What is it about KTRU-LP that you like?  Is there a particular show, or do you just like turning it on for a bit of random variety?  

I like the variety of music they play, most of it never played on any other station. I usually listen to it in the car but occasionally at home. The different DJ's all play different styles of music. On Wednesday at noon they get a Rice employee to present the music they like.

https://ktru.org/schedule/