J.J. Sweeney Jewelry Co. At 700 Main St.

57Tbird

SweeneyJewelers1.jpg

I noticed this ad recently in an old yearbook. I was curious if Sweeney's was still in business, so I did a little research and found that they are, but under the name of Sweeney & Co Jewelers. While looking, I also found some other interesting tidbits surrounding Sweeney's...

They were originally housed here, when they first went into business.

It appears they occupied several locations downtown before settling into their final location in that area as noted on the ad above.

A picture of that location in 1929 is shown in this publication by Story Sloane of Sloane Gallery...

th_SweenyJewelersSloane.jpg

I'm not sure, but I think they vacated there in the mid-50's.

Here is something else I came across... This old clock was built in 1908 and placed in front of the J. J. Sweeney Jewelry store where they were located then at 409 Main Street. It remained in front of the store from 1908-1928, where it was also used as a hitching post for horse drawn carriages.

Donated by the store to the City of Houston in 1929, the clock was moved to the downtown Farmer's Market and later to the courtyard of a municipal building near the Jefferson Davis Hospital.

By 1968 the clock had deteriorated badly. It was restored and moved to its present location, the Sweeney triangle in 1971 with funds provided by the Colonial Dames of America. A base for the 15-foot timepiece was made using paving bricks from historic Navigation Street."

SweeneyClock2.jpg

Present location in the park bounded by Capitol, Rusk and Bagby.

SweeneyClock.jpg

I think most, if not all the jewelry stores in early Houston, were family owned/operated and gradually succumbed to the larger wholesale jewelry operations. Some that I remember from the 50's, besides Sweeney's, were Corrigan's, Lechenger's, and Gordon's.

SweeneyClock2.jpg

I think most, if not all the jewelry stores in early Houston, were family owned/operated and gradually succumbed to the larger wholesale jewelry operations. Some that I remember from the 50's, besides Sweeney's, were Corrigan's, Lechenger's, and Gordon's.

If only someone would or could re-create that clock! I for one am willing to buy one! Way toooo cool! :D

• 6 months later...
SweeneyJewelers1.jpg

I noticed this ad recently in an old yearbook. I was curious if Sweeney's was still in business, so I did a little research and found that they are, but under the name of Sweeney & Co Jewelers. While looking, I also found some other interesting tidbits surrounding Sweeney's...

Sweeney's and Corrigan's were bought out by Bailey Banks & Biddle I think in the 90's.

Archived