Missing Bikeways on Google Maps

Off the top of my head, the following protected high-comfort bikeways are not visible on Google Maps:

Cullen - continuously protected bikeway from MacGregor/Brays Bayou to Polk. Off-street pathways on both sides of the street from Brays to I-45, on-street armadillo-protected from 45 to Polk, with additional protection via parked cars on the northbound side. North of 45 can have debris. Total protected distance 2.2mi.

Lawndale - concrete barriers from Forest Hill Blvd to the KIPP Explore/Intrepid/East End campus on the south (eastbound) side and to Telephone on the north (westbound) side. Lots of cutouts for driveways & look out for parked cars between Wayside and Brays Bayou. Total protected distance 1.6mi.

Polk - concrete barriers on both sides extend protection from Cullen to Lockwood. Total protected distance (Emancipation to Lockwood) 1.6mi.

Almeda - MUP on the west/southbound side from Hermann Drive to Holly Hall. Total protected distance 2.3mi.

East 11th - curb-protected lanes continue from Heights to Micheaux. Total protected distance 1.5mi.

Commonwealth - curb-protected one-way lane from Waugh to Yoakum. Total protected distance 1.1mi.

Heights - combination of MUP and armadillos get you from Willia to I-10. Wide but unprotected lanes from I-10 to 20th. Terrible unprotected crossings at I-10 and Memorial. The gaps here are pretty inexcuseable in my opinion. Westheimer to 20th should be a seamless straight shot. Total protected distance irrelevant until those gaps are closed.

Shepherd & Durham - curb-protected one-way lanes from Dickson to Washington. Total protected distance 0.4mi.

Blodgett - wide, curb-protected lanes on both sides of the street from Scott to Ennis. Some nicely done intersections, especially with the Columbia Tap. Total protected distance 1.2mi.

Wheeler - MUP continies (in increasingly unimpressive form, I'll admit) from Cullen to Tierweister and along MLK from Wheeler to the new Fertita College of Medicine building. Total protected distance (not including Bayou connection) 1.4mi.

Please add any you can think of.

Probably also worth mentioning that despite what Google Maps says, there are no bike facilities on Fannin or on Memorial between Crosswood and Shepherd.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Walker Street From St Emmanual to the Columbia Tap Trail. There's a really crazy Y shaped crossing over Emancipation that merges the lanes on both sides of the street. These lanes and the 10 or so handicap spots on Walker street get blocked off with concrete barriers whenever there is an event at Shell Energy Stadium so all the cops and friends can use the street as their personal parking lot.

• Like 1

On 11/28/2023 at 9:03 PM, staresatmaps said:

Walker Street From St Emmanual to the Columbia Tap Trail. There's a really crazy Y shaped crossing over Emancipation that merges the lanes on both sides of the street. These lanes and the 10 or so handicap spots on Walker street get blocked off with concrete barriers whenever there is an event at Shell Energy Stadium so all the cops and friends can use the street as their personal parking lot.

Oh yeah forgot about that one. And yes, I'm quite accustomed to ignoring those "bike lane closed" signs.

On 11/20/2023 at 9:24 AM, 004n063 said:

Off the top of my head, the following protected high-comfort bikeways are not visible on Google Maps:

Cullen - continuously protected bikeway from MacGregor/Brays Bayou to Polk. Off-street pathways on both sides of the street from Brays to I-45, on-street armadillo-protected from 45 to Polk, with additional protection via parked cars on the northbound side. North of 45 can have debris. Total protected distance 2.2mi.

Lawndale - concrete barriers from Forest Hill Blvd to the KIPP Explore/Intrepid/East End campus on the south (eastbound) side and to Telephone on the north (westbound) side. Lots of cutouts for driveways & look out for parked cars between Wayside and Brays Bayou. Total protected distance 1.6mi.

Polk - concrete barriers on both sides extend protection from Cullen to Lockwood. Total protected distance (Emancipation to Lockwood) 1.6mi.

Almeda - MUP on the west/southbound side from Hermann Drive to Holly Hall. Total protected distance 2.3mi.

East 11th - curb-protected lanes continue from Heights to Micheaux. Total protected distance 1.5mi.

Commonwealth - curb-protected one-way lane from Waugh to Yoakum. Total protected distance 1.1mi.

Heights - combination of MUP and armadillos get you from Willia to I-10. Wide but unprotected lanes from I-10 to 20th. Terrible unprotected crossings at I-10 and Memorial. The gaps here are pretty inexcuseable in my opinion. Westheimer to 20th should be a seamless straight shot. Total protected distance irrelevant until those gaps are closed.

Shepherd & Durham - curb-protected one-way lanes from Dickson to Washington. Total protected distance 0.4mi.

Blodgett - wide, curb-protected lanes on both sides of the street from Scott to Ennis. Some nicely done intersections, especially with the Columbia Tap. Total protected distance 1.2mi.

Wheeler - MUP continies (in increasingly unimpressive form, I'll admit) from Cullen to Tierweister and along MLK from Wheeler to the new Fertita College of Medicine building. Total protected distance (not including Bayou connection) 1.4mi.

Please add any you can think of.

Probably also worth mentioning that despite what Google Maps says, there are no bike facilities on Fannin or on Memorial between Crosswood and Shepherd.

How does Apple Maps compare?  I remember a year or so ago there was a lot of chatter about Apple putting a lot of effort into bicycle routes in Apple Maps, but I don't know if Houston benefitted from that.  

• 1 month later...

On 11/20/2023 at 9:24 AM, 004n063 said:

Good news, TIRZ 27 received $1,364,607 in funding to finish Waugh bike lane from West Dallas to Allen Pkwy.

Screenshot2024-01-19at11_03_33AM.png.eadf019ada7b103f3bfbc29aca890d1f.png

The City of Houston also received $2.5M in funding for project development on putting bicycle facilities on Waugh as it goes over Buffalo Bayou and Memorial Drive. https://www.h-gac.com/getmedia/a7a036cb-c36a-4fa0-bb74-05b8e61057c6/December-15-2023-Transportation-Policy-Council-Item-10.

Screenshot2024-01-19at11_03_48AM.png.286d2f984a8eb2fa0f65a5f4910436b4.png

Please urge your councilmember (email districtc@houstontx.gov) to advocate for completing these projects as soon as possible. Like you said, total mileage means nothing if we don't have a connected network.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1