Herald Baseball Park At 2600 Travis St.

tmariar

Herald Park (also known as Fair Grounds Base Ball Park, Houston Base Ball Park, Fair Ground Park, and League Park.)

I don't think Gonzo was suggesting it was, but West End Park wasn't the first baseball park in the city. West End Park was built around the turn of the century, and baseball had been played in Houston for many years before that. The Texas League formed in the 1880's, with Houston as one of the original members. As far as early baseball park locations go, I know that, in 1887, the Houston Heralds baseball team had a park located "at the head of" Travis Street. And, in 1896, a Houston baseball team played a Chicago baseball team at a "new baseball park at the end of" Travis Street.

Still, West End Park, which was built by the Houston Electric Street Railway Co., near what is now the intersection of Andrews and Heiner, was undoubtedly among the city's earliest baseball parks. It hosted UT/A&M football games in addition to baseball games.

• Like 1

West End Park, which was built by the Houston Electric Street Railway Co., near what is now the intersection of Andrews and Heiner, was undoubtedly among the city's earliest baseball parks. It hosted UT/A&M football games in addition to baseball games.

Some time back, in a discussion of the old red light district, someone was kind enough to post a very old map of downtown Houston that showed the location of that old baseball field. I recall that it was just east of Heiner, on the other side of the Pierce Elevated, where it does that big long dog leg curve around that Hotel. My best calculation, looking at that old map, is that the ground where those old teams once played baseball is now covered by that hotel and the Leland Federal Bldg.

Edited by FilioScotia
  • Like 1

• The title was changed to Herald Baseball Park At 2600 Travis St.

I'm not sure if this drawing/photograph is of the actual baseball park.  The image originated from Houston historians.

Texas Historical Commission and Harris County Historical Commission invite you to a market dedication

Fair Grounds Base Ball Park
Saturday, February 20, at 11:00 AM
At the corner of Milam and McGowen

Houston's first professional spots venue sat on this spot from the 1870s until 1904. Join us to celebrate this historic location and learn its story.

Please find area parking legally. Feel free to wear baseball attire.

TAwVFYb.jpg