Texas Transportation

Dominax

Interstate44.png

Will I-44 possibly can be proposed from Wichita's Falls to end at Abilene to connect with I-20.

US 277 to Interstate 44

I-14

What about all of US 290 to I-14

start on I-10 exit 477 to reach I-610 Houston Texas

I-10, Austin, Houston Interstate

Edited by Dominax

Interstate44.png

Will I-44 possibly can be proposed from Wichita's Falls to end at Abilene to connect with I-20.

US 277 to Interstate 44

I-14

What about all of US 290 to I-14

start on I-10 exit 477 to reach I-610 Houston Texas

I-10, Austin, Houston Interstate

I-44 would be a waste of money.

290 is a good corridor, but would be pretty expensive to upgrade that entire distance to freeway standards. More likely there will someday be some type of new toll road roughly parallel to that corridor, maybe TTC style, but probably not for a long while.

• 2 weeks later...
It seems like there should be an Interstate Highway connecting Texas' capitol with its largest city. And, after last year's hurricane season, it seems clear Houston needs it for evacuation purposes.

I wonder if there are plans to extend Interstate 45 into Oklahoma. As of not, it is technically not an interstate because it runs in only one state. It should be called INTRASTATE 45 (unless it does eventually go into the Sooner State).

Guest Plastic

I wish they'd turn 290 into and interstate and after it leaves Austin go by San Angela cross I-20 close to Midland, then go to Lubbock,the Santefe and then cross Colorado to Salt Lake City. You could then use exsistinh interstates to get to Seattle.

I wonder if there are plans to extend Interstate 45 into Oklahoma. As of not, it is technically not an interstate because it runs in only one state. It should be called INTRASTATE 45 (unless it does eventually go into the Sooner State).

It is the *system* of interstate highways that takes you between states, not any one highway, so there is nothing wrong with I45. You're not going to see 610 taking you to a border anytime soon either.

Jason

It is the *system* of interstate highways that takes you between states, not any one highway, so there is nothing wrong with I45. You're not going to see 610 taking you to a border anytime soon either.

Jason

A valid point. I was simply referring to the definitions of "Inter" and "Intra".

No it does not. Interstate 45 ends in Dallas.

What he meant is the interstate-grade freeway section of US 75/69, and yes, that does extend all the way (an extra 82 miles from IH-45 terminus) to Colbert, Oklahoma. All it would take to extend 45 is a renaming.

I have long felt that I-45 should extend north from Dallas, through Tulsa and on to connect with I-35 in Kansas City. There needs to be a continuous interstate connecting Houston, Dallas, Tulsa and KC as a direct shot.

I just realized that IH 45 isn't the only Interstate that's only in Texas that is technically an Intrastate.

There's IH 37, which connects San Antonio and Corpus Christi. Other than big city 3-digit loops, can anyone else think of any others?

I just realized that IH 45 isn't the only Interstate that's only in Texas that is technically an Intrastate.

There's IH 37, which connects San Antonio and Corpus Christi. Other than big city 3-digit loops, can anyone else think of any others?

Here is the list from Wikipedia of Interstates that stay in a state:

Interstate 4 - Tampa, FL (I-275) to Daytona Beach, FL (I-95)

Interstate 12 - Baton Rouge, LA (I-10) to Alton, LA (I-10)

Interstate 16 - Macon, GA (I-75) to Savannah, GA

Interstate 17 - Phoenix, AZ (I-10) to Flagstaff, AZ (I-40)

Interstate 19 - Nogales, AZ (Mexican border) to Tucson, AZ (I-10)

Interstate 27 - Lubbock, TX (US-87) to Amarillo, TX (I-40)

Interstate 37 - Corpus Christi, TX (US-181) to San Antonio, TX (I-35)

Interstate 43 - Beloit, WI (I-39 & I-90) to Green Bay, WI (US-41)

Interstate 45 - Galveston, TX (TX-124) to Dallas, TX (I-30)

Interstate 49 - Lafayette, LA (I-10) to Shreveport, LA (I-20)

Interstate 73 - Candor, NC (US-220) to Greensboro, NC (I-40 & I-85)

Interstate 86 (west) - Heyburn, ID (I-84) to Pocatello, ID (I-15)

Interstate 87 - New York, NY (I-278) to Champlain, NY (Canadian border)

Interstate 88 (west) - Moline, IL (I-80) to Chicago, IL (I-290)

Interstate 88 (east) - Binghamton, NY (I-81) to Schenectady, NY (I-90)

Interstate 96 - Muskegon, MI (US-31) to Detroit, MI (I-75)

Interstate 97 - Annapolis, MD (US-50) to Baltimore, MD (I-695)

Interstate 99 - Bedford, PA (I-70/I-76) to Bald Eagle, PA (US-220)

Once again, I think you're too focused on the term and not seeing that its a shortcut way of saying a highway within the "Interstate Highway System". To quote Wikipedia:

"There is no real violation of any rule here - nothing says an Interstate has to truly be inter-state, but it is an amusing violation of the phrase."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_intra...rstate_Highways

Jason

Here is the list from Wikipedia of Interstates that stay in a state:

Interstate 4 - Tampa, FL (I-275) to Daytona Beach, FL (I-95)

Interstate 12 - Baton Rouge, LA (I-10) to Alton, LA (I-10)

Interstate 16 - Macon, GA (I-75) to Savannah, GA

Interstate 17 - Phoenix, AZ (I-10) to Flagstaff, AZ (I-40)

Interstate 19 - Nogales, AZ (Mexican border) to Tucson, AZ (I-10)

Interstate 27 - Lubbock, TX (US-87) to Amarillo, TX (I-40)

Interstate 37 - Corpus Christi, TX (US-181) to San Antonio, TX (I-35)

Interstate 43 - Beloit, WI (I-39 & I-90) to Green Bay, WI (US-41)

Interstate 45 - Galveston, TX (TX-124) to Dallas, TX (I-30)

Interstate 49 - Lafayette, LA (I-10) to Shreveport, LA (I-20)

Interstate 73 - Candor, NC (US-220) to Greensboro, NC (I-40 & I-85)

Interstate 86 (west) - Heyburn, ID (I-84) to Pocatello, ID (I-15)

Interstate 87 - New York, NY (I-278) to Champlain, NY (Canadian border)

Interstate 88 (west) - Moline, IL (I-80) to Chicago, IL (I-290)

Interstate 88 (east) - Binghamton, NY (I-81) to Schenectady, NY (I-90)

Interstate 96 - Muskegon, MI (US-31) to Detroit, MI (I-75)

Interstate 97 - Annapolis, MD (US-50) to Baltimore, MD (I-695)

Interstate 99 - Bedford, PA (I-70/I-76) to Bald Eagle, PA (US-220)

Once again, I think you're too focused on the term and not seeing that its a shortcut way of saying a highway within the "Interstate Highway System". To quote Wikipedia:

"There is no real violation of any rule here - nothing says an Interstate has to truly be inter-state, but it is an amusing violation of the phrase."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_intra...rstate_Highways

You're almost as good as Subdude is when it comes to coming up with and posting new information so fast.

I just remembered when I was in college in Jonesboro, Arkansas, I drove up to Carruthersville, Missouri. I remember getting onto a "spur" 3-digit interstate called Interstate 155. It went east to Dyersburg, Tennessee. I didn't understand because I thought that the 3-digit ones went in or around a city, like IH 610 there in Houston.

Jason

I don't know what it looks like now, but back in the early 1970s, my parents and I would take short trips to Laredo to go into Nuevo Laredo and buy souvenirs. To me, the way that Interstate 35 ended was awkward. It simply ended into a city street.

How else are you going to end it? 45 does that in Galveston, and 10 does it in Santa Monica (as a few examples). I guess it can seem weird, but....

Usually when an interstate ends it simply "blends in" with another interstate. Like I said, the last time that I was in Laredo was back in 1972. It might not be that way now.

How else are you going to end it? 45 does that in Galveston, and 10 does it in Santa Monica (as a few examples). I guess it can seem weird, but....

Yeah, but 10 ends up to being a 8 lane freeway, for a short while. Then it becomes an extra large Highway 6 to about Malibu.

Usually when an interstate ends it simply "blends in" with another interstate. Like I said, the last time that I was in Laredo was back in 1972. It might not be that way now.

Its the same way, I don't know what they could possibly do to change it. It might be a bigger now now, because they need room to store 3 miles of backed up semis trying to get into Mexico in the left lanes, but overall no different.

Jason

I have long felt that I-45 should extend north from Dallas, through Tulsa and on to connect with I-35 in Kansas City. There needs to be a continuous interstate connecting Houston, Dallas, Tulsa and KC as a direct shot.

Just take I-35 north; it runs through Dallas too. Building two parallel interstates within 50 miles of each other is redundant.

No more redundant than 45 & 35 south of Dallas. Going to Tulsa and Kansas City is much shorter by not going to Oklahoma City first. It isn't bad going north out of Dallas on US 75 and catching the Indian Nation Turnpike, but that only gets you to Henrietta, OK at I-40. The US 75 from there to Tulsa is good 4-lane, but not Interstate standards. Then from Tulsa to KC, it is either Interstate 44 (Will Rogers Tpk) to Joplin, MO to US 71, or use 2-lane roads like US 69 or US 75.

Guest Plastic

There a secret rul of interstates.

All the 2 digit ones that end in 2 go East to West. ALl 2 digit interstates that end in 3 go North to South.

I-10 the lowest East to West runs from the bottom of The US. I-90 teh highest 2 digit interstate running East to West is at the very top of The UUnited States.

The same thing with I-5 and I-995. As you go North or East the numers increase.

Then there's 3 digit interstates. This was meant to help drivers goign througha town by giving them an alternate route and a way through traffic. 3 digit interstates ending in even numbers to you around the city. 3 digit interstates ending in odd numers take you through the city by not going through Downtown.

As for 610 it's not the only I-610. Louisiana has a 610 in New Orleans. The diffresnce is if you look at the sign Our 610 has in small letters Texas writtin on the sign. I guess that's how it goes in other states also.

With that rule it doesn't exactly explain why there are interstates in Hawaii.

There a secret rul of interstates.

It's not very secret.

All the 2 digit ones that end in 2 go East to West. ALl 2 digit interstates that end in 3 go North to South.
It's not whether they end in 2 or 3. There are many single and two-digit interstates that end in 1, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and 0. Just look at the two in Houston. The rule is that odd numbered (not just those that end in 3) run north and south, and even numbered (not just those that end in 2) run west and east.
Then there's 3 digit interstates. This was meant to help drivers goign througha town by giving them an alternate route and a way through traffic. 3 digit interstates ending in even numbers to you around the city. 3 digit interstates ending in odd numers take you through the city by not going through Downtown.

Again, it's not the last number on three digit interstates that counts -- it's the first. If the first of the three digits is even, it is a loop; if the first of the three digits is odd, it's a spur. The last two digits indicate the parent interstate. There are interstate loops with a third odd digit, because the parent is an odd number. 635 in Dallas is a good example of this. Likewise there are spurs with an even third digit. Again, it's the first number that counts on the three digit numbers.