The Green Parrot Restaurant At 4009 Bellaire Blvd.

Highrise Tower

Interesting! Not only did The Green Parrot have a second location, now we discover they had even a third location?! Awesome finding here.

Wast this their last restaurant location perhaps? I wonder all 3 store operational dates. Did they have nick names, or store numbers?

The Green Parrot
668-6039
4009 Bellaire at Stella Link
Houston, Texas

Continuing a Dining Tradition
True Southern Family Style

Wednesday - Saturday
5:00 P.M. - 9:30 P.M.

Sunday
11:30 A.M. - 8:30 P.M.

Now located
4009 Bellaire at Stella Link
Houston, Texas

When in Uptown Houston
East at The Buttery
Fannin Bank Bldg. across from The Shamrock

9rdSvIZ.jpg

GbTzUwu.jpg

kK7sDMN.jpg

• Like 1

There were actually two "reincarnations" one briefly at Braeswood Square, S. Braeswood & Chimney Rock, in the secondary structure that housed the Mama Leoni's and then later in the ground floor of the River Oaks Apartment Building a few nights a week as "Blue Parrot Night"...these were in the late 70's...and neither lasted long...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rex said:

There were actually two "reincarnations" one briefly at Braeswood Square, S. Braeswood & Chimney Rock, in the secondary structure that housed the Mama Leoni's and then later in the ground floor of the River Oaks Apartment Building a few nights a week as "Blue Parrot Night"...these were in the late 70's...and neither lasted long...

Neither one was associated with Vera Fredericks, who owned the original. IIRC the one at Braeswood Square was mostly a takeout place.

I seem to remember that the Braeswood Square, and possibly the River Oaks Apartment building incarnations were owned by one of the Pulaski's who had acquired the rights and recipes...but this is just from what I remember overhearing as a kid 40+ years ago....

Okay, here's what I found on Google Books from the book Lost Restaurants of Houston, according to Ann Criswell, retired Chronicle food editor:

In 1967, the family sold the name, recipes and goodwill to Mike Lewis, who was reared in the restaurant business. He moved the restaurant to 4009 Bellaire Blvd. By 1984, the restaurant had moved again to the terrace level of the River Oaks High Rise at 3435 Westheimer. This location was run by Pat Jesselson, the niece of Vira Frederick. The name was changed to the Oaks Restaurant and a Texan advertisement from April 4, 1984, told us what to expect: "Announcing the re-creation of the original Green Parrot menu, featuring family-style dinners from the original recipes along with many of the original staff."

So there was an association with Vira Fredericks through her niece, but not an ownership interest.

No evidence I've found of any connection to the Braeswood Square location.

The original restaurant was demolished in 1967 after being taken for freeway expansion.

• Like 2