Fountain Blue: Multifamily At 7202 Selma St.

Highrise Tower

Does anyone have more information about the 1960s (1980s?) apartments located off Fannin Street in the Texas Medical Center?

Believe the only trace of "Selma" was on a 1950s Sanborn map?  Never even heard of the street (or road) until this week. Only on HAIF would we find something like this.

Looks to be in the same location as the current CenterPoint Energy Plant At 6955 Fannin Street, which is nicknamed Grant Station.

Fountain Blue
7202 Selma St., Houston, TX 77030

65liaov.jpg

MD Anderson mentions this as a tract bought and used as land. Tract number 48 - 7123 Selma.

ZK5mOQa.jpg

Google Earth (thankfully) shows the small apartment complex in 1953.  Next door to the Prudential Life Insurance Building.

pQ21Dln.jpg

Hsffn3z.jpg

• 2 months later...

I might have (actually) found the apartments this time! It was not situated a long Fannin Street, but at the cross streets of Selma Avenue at Eton Street.
*Although, this could be a completely separate apartment complex

MD Anderson's 1MC campus replaced the small multifamily complex. Specifically, it looks like the parking garage of 1MC took it out. Address that can be used to find the demolished structure is 7007 Bertner Avenue, Houston, TX.

1953, Nothing there. The vacant land belongs to Mrs. Brown.

Q7vag8d.jpg

1978, Apartments still standing while the massive Texas Medical Center surface lot is being built.

GkWvC5F.jpg

2002, Cool shape! It was like an "L" shape.

HQsW6JY.jpg

2010, Now demolished for MD Anderson's 1MC development.
Edit: The pool remains!

U4kqOQC.jpg

To reference the cross streets of Selma Avenue at Eton Street I found an old MD Anderson (planned) Mid Campus map outline.

I would actually like to study that whole section of the TMC. Who owned those small parcels, and when did MD Anderson purchase them?

Eventually, MD Anderson will buy everything in that portion of Fannin & Bertner, I would assume. Can these mom and pop automotive shops survive the UT System? If you notice, their Mid Campus development is called 1MC. So, are they counting for more? Maybe a 2MC?

wDNm80P.jpg

Selma Avenue at Eaton Street.

35u1P4L.jpg