Ingrando Home For Children At 14150 Gulf Fwy.

westvir

Hi all, before Dyer there was the Frank & Jennie Ingrando Home for Children.  I lived there from 5-11 years old, then the home moved and Dyer took over.  Later I heard that the bldg was destroyed by a firebug who turned out to be a fireman or volunteer.  If you ever hear of anyone who lived in the Ingrando, I'd sure like to know.  The home was amazing.  It was red brick and might have looked gloomy from the old 45S highway, but it was anything but gloomy.  Loved that place.  Virginia Westberry Dec 12, 2014

• Like 4

Hi all, before Dyer there was the Frank & Jennie Ingrando Home for Children.  I lived there from 5-11 years old, then the home moved and Dyer took over.  Later I heard that the bldg was destroyed by a firebug who turned out to be a fireman or volunteer.  If you ever hear of anyone who lived in the Ingrando, I'd sure like to know.  The home was amazing.  It was red brick and might have looked gloomy from the old 45S highway, but it was anything but gloomy.  Loved that place.  Virginia Westberry Dec 12, 2014

westvir... Do you remember where exactly the red brick home was located, in relation to the Dyer one? And does that name, or those Ingrando's have anything to do with the renaming of Southmayd Park to Ingrando Park (in the East End)? Just wondering.

• Like 2

From The Institute for Texan Cultures: 

FRANK AND JENNIE INGRANDO FOUNDATION 1951 On Saint Patrick's Day in 1950 a childless couple, Frank and Jennie Ingrando of Houston, established a foundation to provide for the care of neglected children. They were about to begin construction of a home on the Gulf Freeway when Jennie be­came incurably ill and plans had to be postponed. After her death in May 1951 Frank decided to carryon alone. He was the architect, foreman and contractor for the building, which was designed to house 100 children. As Frank said after Jennie's death: "We both wanted to see chil­dren with lots of ground around them. We wanted them to have a few ponies, flowers, chickens and a gar­den, maybe:' The home was dedicated in the summer of 1954 and was opened in 1955, but Frank Ingrando did not live to see the first children move in; he had died the previous December. The Ingrando home operated until 1962, when the original structure was sold and a smaller, more economical place was purchased. The new quar­ters were operated until 1969. By then, the state and county had as­sumed responsibility for the care of the children the Ingrando home was intended to help. The foundation continued to donate money to orga­nizations already taking care of chil­dren. It made gifts to the City of Houston for a park to be named the Frank and Jennie Ingrando Park. It gave property to finance an intensive care unit for children at St. Joseph's Hospital. It also contributed to the Houston School for the Deaf, to the Boy Scouts, to the San Jose Clinic and to other children's groups. One of the more unusual gifts was to Dominican College in Hous­ton. The gift provided for continua­tion of a special mass recited each year on September 8. The mass had its origins in the 1900 storm which destroyed Galveston. Frank's father, Ignacio Ingrando, had vowed that, if his family survived the storm, he would mark the occasion annually. The family survived, and the mass has been observed with only a few exceptions ever since. Sicilian-born Frank Ingrando was two years old when his parents immigrated to Texas in 1888. Jennie Barbera was born in America to Italian parents who had settled in Houston shortly after the Civil War. As a boy Frank worked in his father's store, then opened his own paint shop. All the while, he was buying property whenever he could. By the late 1920's the Ingrandos possessed all the material comforts they felt they would ever need, so they turned their energies toward saving and investing for the children's home. Jennie kept the books, collected the rents and counseled with Frank in real estate investments. As a result of the tax reform act of 1969, it became uneconomical to operate the foundation, and the final gifts were made in 1973. But the memory of Frank and Jennie Ingran­do will live on in the park and in other good works provided for the children of Houston.

• Like 3

Interesting information, looked like a pretty big home, to me. The second location must have been very large. I don't recall seeing either one. My dad used to point out many landmarks nearby, such as Ellington Field, with all those white barracks, but, he never mentioned these two places. It's nice to know the history of the Ingrando family.  I frequented that park many times, as a kid.  

• Like 1

NenaE, Ingrando Home was located on the east side of 45S right before the Ellington overpass.  It had a black iron arch that said "The Ingrando Home for Children".  The superindent's name was Ida M. Brooks but we all called her Granny.  She was assisted by Effie Mae (cook) her husband, Booker T (grounds keeper, handman, etc.), two housemothers and a relief.  Granny, Effie Mae, and Booker T were always there; whereas the other housemothers would come and go.  Effie Mae was a southern style cook and no one I know of has been able to top her skill.  The Inrando moved when I was 11yrs to a mansion on South Park Blvd.  It was MUCH smaller and we no longer had the fields to wander in.  Dyer took over the original Ingrando building and later I heard it was the one of the buildings the fireman firebug torched. It was vacant then, I think. When I get enough nerve, I'll look at the news link MARMER provided. Out of all the institutions I was in and out of, the Ingrando was the longest (6 years) and the best.  Most unusual place.  As far as Ingrando Park, yes I've read about the many contributions from the Ingrando Foundation.  You can find more online.  Did you know anyone there or were you there?  Virginia Westberry Dec 19, 2014   

• Like 3

NenaE, Ingrando Home was located on the east side of 45S right before the Ellington overpass.  It had a black iron arch that said "The Ingrando Home for Children".  The superindent's name was Ida M. Brooks but we all called her Granny.  She was assisted by Effie Mae (cook) her husband, Booker T (grounds keeper, handman, etc.), two housemothers and a relief.  Granny, Effie Mae, and Booker T were always there; whereas the other housemothers would come and go.  Effie Mae was a southern style cook and no one I know of has been able to top her skill.  The Inrando moved when I was 11yrs to a mansion on South Park Blvd.  It was MUCH smaller and we no longer had the fields to wander in.  Dyer took over the original Ingrando building and later I heard it was the one of the buildings the fireman firebug torched. It was vacant then, I think. When I get enough nerve, I'll look at the news link MARMER provided. Out of all the institutions I was in and out of, the Ingrando was the longest (6 years) and the best.  Most unusual place.  As far as Ingrando Park, yes I've read about the many contributions from the Ingrando Foundation.  You can find more online.  Did you know anyone there or were you there?  Virginia Westberry Dec 19, 2014   

Wonderful recollection... thank you for sharing. No, I didn't, and I don't know anyone else who went there. Just can't believe I had never heard go these places. I'm a sixties child, come from a long line of East Enders and Bay Area visitors.

Edited by NenaE
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

NenaE, Ingrando Home was located on the east side of 45S right before the Ellington overpass.   

Some of the kids from the Ingrando home went to Genoa Elementary and I think some of the boys were in the Genoa Cub and Scout programs.

I grew up in the 'suburbs' of Genoa (laughing) 

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I lived at the Ingrando home from age 5 or 6 to age 11 or 12. From around 59 to 65. I remember Granny, Effie and Booker T. We also had a house mother we called Mama Carter. There were 6 other children I remember. My name was Darline Richardson and I had 2 sisters Donna and Beth. There was James, William and Lois Rathjen and Mitchell Wall. I don’t recall any others. Darline Richardson Jones 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...