Ursuline Academy At 2613 Ursuline Ave.

H-Town Man

Thought I'd share these with you... there are some great ones in Houston and Galveston. Whatever happened to the old railway station and post office buildings in Galveston? They were pretty impressive.

http://www.nsula.edu/watson_library/postcards/default_3.htm

I cannot see a picture of the Ursuline Sisters Academy in Galveston without the song "What Becomes of the Broken Hearted" playing in the back of my mind. Tragic, tragic loss.

• Like 1

• 8 years later...

To be fair, Hurricane Carla badly damaged the Ursuline Academy...but it could have at least been partially salvaged.

And I should add... back when these buildings were demolished they were not viewed as novel or historically important.  To the people of that time they were just 40-50 year old buildings standing in the way of progress.

To be fair, Hurricane Carla badly damaged the Ursuline Academy...but it could have at least been partially salvaged.

I've heard conflicting reports about this. At least one source has said that although it was damaged, this was used more as an excuse to tear it down than the real reason.