Texas Medical Center Hotel Market

I got this idea from another HAIF member.

I wonder the percentage of hotels sitting empty, and that are very active, in the TMC area? Unlike downtown, and other areas, I don't see the TMC hotels being converted into residential.  I bet hotels in the TMC stay pretty full unlike areas of town.

I know this is a given, but I wish the TMC would create a hotel skyscraper.  40 to 50 stories. I believe the proposed TMC Helix Park hotel is around 30 stories.  Then again, people visiting the TMC might not want a luxury skyscraper hotel due to their medical cost.

• Like 1

I dunno.   I have always heard that a lot of very wealthy people fly in to Houston expressly for being treated at TMC.    And I imagine some of their stays are for a while - with families.

Seems like a market that could support a luxury high-rise hotel/short term apartments type building.    🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

On 7/10/2023 at 9:45 AM, Pleak said:

I dunno.   I have always heard that a lot of very wealthy people fly in to Houston expressly for being treated at TMC.    And I imagine some of their stays are for a while - with families.

They do.  I know someone who interacts with people like this. 

But they don't stay with other people.  They rent (or in some cases buy) houses for the duration of their stay, because often they are here for the better part of a year or more.

There never seem to be enough extended stay hotels near large medical centers.  If there was, Ronald McDonald House wouldn't be needed.

On 7/8/2023 at 8:48 PM, Highrise Tower said:

I wonder the percentage of hotels sitting empty, and that are very active, in the TMC area?

Medical Center hotel occupancy is currently at 62%.  That seems low to me, since other large American cities are reporting revenue exceeding pre-pandemic days.  But all I've heard is revenue figures, not occupancy, so that could be a reflection of soaring hotel rates.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, editor said:

There never seem to be enough extended stay hotels near large medical centers.  If there was, Ronald McDonald House wouldn't be needed

As if all RMHC did was to rent rooms with a little extra space and a kitchenette... Really, dude!?  

• Like 3

On 7/12/2023 at 8:36 AM, Naviguessor said:

As if all RMHC did was to rent rooms with a little extra space and a kitchenette... Really, dude!? 

I have no personal experience with RMH other than seeing its TV commercials, and when one went up in my neighborhood, that's how it positioned itself as a place where sick children can stay for free while getting medical treatment.  At least that's how they presented it on television and to the neighbors in order to get construction approval.

8 minutes ago, Naviguessor said:

Is that what extended stay hotels do?  Provide sick children and their families, free accommodation, meals, support services, transportation and a community?  Guess it’s me who misunderstands what extended stay hotels do. My bad. 

I don't understand what you're trying to say here.  You seem to be trying to have an argument, but have me at a disadvantage, because I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.

On 7/11/2023 at 11:03 AM, editor said:

There never seem to be enough extended stay hotels near large medical centers.  If there was, Ronald McDonald House wouldn't be needed.

Your quote. It was careless and very much misrepresents and disparages a very fine non-profit, doing great things.  You could retract it. 

1 hour ago, Naviguessor said:

Your quote. It was careless and very much misrepresents and disparages a very fine non-profit, doing great things.  You could retract it. 

I'm not going to do anything just because some rando on the internet says I should.  Primarily because I'm not sure how it disparages anyone.  Rather than derail this thread, I'll discuss it with you in PM.

• Thanks 1