Sabin Vaccine Institute

I was wondering the significance of the Sabin Vaccine Institute in related to the TMC. Is there an actual Sabin Vaccine Institute in Houston? As far as I know, the SVI is located in Washington, DC.

I ask because, on TMC's website, under the Member Institutions page, SVI is listed.

Anyone know why they are affiliated with Texas Medical Center? All the other companies are located in Houston.

UPmQ8t3.png

14 hours ago, Highrise Tower said:

I was wondering the significance of the Sabin Vaccine Institute in related to the TMC. Is there an actual Sabin Vaccine Institute in Houston? As far as I know, the SVI is located in Washington, DC.

I ask because, on TMC's website, under the Member Institutions page, SVI is listed.

Anyone know why they are affiliated with Texas Medical Center? All the other companies are located in Houston.

Found this:  "Leaders of the Sabin Vaccine Institute, Baylor College of Medicine and Texas Children's Hospital today announced an agreement to move Sabin's vaccine development program to Texas Children's and BCM as part of the recruitment of world renowned neglected diseases expert Dr. Peter Hotez."

https://www.texaschildrens.org/about-us/news/releases/bcm-texas-childrens-announce-recruitment-dr-peter-hotez-and-team-major-advance-develop-vaccines

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

Baylor created the National School of Tropical Medicine there in 2011.  This press release is curious since it mentions in the footer that Texas Childrens have a West Houston community hospital and another planned to open in The Woodlands in 2017.  I had to look up the timing but they bought that site in 2007 and didn’t greenlight any construction until December 2013:  https://communityimpact.com/houston/news/2013/12/11/texas-childrens-approves-plan-for-woodlands-hospital/

• Like 1