Houston Cheerleader, Dallas Travel Article

worldlyman

I just wanted to share this.

In the Oct. 3-10, 2005 OK! Magazine, one of those newer celebrity rags in the genre of People, US, Entertainment Weekly and such, there is an article that had some information of traveling to Dallas.

I think it's a feature in OK! Magazine to spotlight a city every week or so.

Sure enough there are pictures of Dallas items...until you see a cheerleader in hotpants and uniform of the HOUSTON TEXANS! These magazine editors simply saw the word "Texans" her shirt and decided it was something appropriate to put into the Dallas article.

Then in the Texans vs Seattle Seahawks game, during the coin toss...the referee was said to have actually referred to the Texans as "Dallas...you are the visiting team, you get to call it."

It's kind of mildly annoying how many Americans cannot get their own cities quite right.

I wonder if any Bostonians or other New Englanders accidently flew to Dallas or Austin during the 2004 Super Bowl.

Exactly, what's the difference. So and so's from Miami, so and so's from Atlanta, so and so's from Chicago, so and so's from TEXAS. As I said before when people get into all these Houston VS Dallas arguments, outside of Texas, we're all the same to everyone else. No Texas city has its own identity outside of Texas.

Edited by KimberlySayWhat

No Texas city has its own identity outside of Texas.

i don't agree with that. people who have never been here know about the different cities here. they probably just don't care - and yes, they bunch us all in. but they know Austin for UT and music, Houston for space and oil, SA for touristy stuff etc.

when talking about chicago or atl, there's really nothing else in those states. but you often hear of Cali and Texas being called out because there are so many major cities, and those States actually have State pride.

whenever i'm traveling with my friends, when someone asks (no matter what country i'm in) i say i'm from houston and they know what i'm talking about. a lot of my other friends say Texas...

Exactly, what's the difference. So and so's from Miami, so and so's from Atlanta, so and so's from Chicago, so and so's from TEXAS. As I said before when people get into all these Houston VS Dallas arguments, outside of Texas, we're all the same to everyone else. No Texas city has its own identity outside of Texas.

As someone who's lived in 15 cities, I can say you are absolutely correct.

As someone who's lived in 15 cities, I can say you are absolutely correct.

That's what's cool about Texas if you ask me. I have ofent told people "Texas" when they ask where I am from.

But seriously, how many states can agrue how unique their big cites are from each other?

LA vs. San Franscisco? Just about every state in the Union has one big-dog city, and that's it.

Are there any others?

Personally, I say I'm from Houston.

It's interesting how a buddy of mine out here in San Diego refers to the Houston Texans as "Texas."

Even Nick Canepa of the San Diego Union-Tribune, a supurb sportswriter, one of very few who gave Houston props during the 2004 Super Bowl (he said San Diego can learn from Houston in terms of getting stadium deals together, but that's another ball of wax. He essentially wrote of H-town's positive accomplishments, for a "city that doesn't call itself American's Finest City" which is what San Diego likes to call itself), a few months ago also referred to Houston's NFL team as "Texas." Yeah, when I was in Houston for those eight months in 2004, I kept up with San Diego news on the web; now it's the Houston Press and Chron on-line out here. Hard copy can be had when out at a java house or something.

That's even worse than referring to the Indianapolis Colts as "Indiana."

It's almost the same as referring to the Chicago Bears as "Illinois."

Edited by worldlyman

That's what's cool about Texas if you ask me. I have ofent told people "Texas" when they ask where I am from.

Works anywhere in the world. Even in little ratholes in Asia, you tell someone (who speaks at least some English) you're from Texas, and they know of it. Try saying "Atlanta" or "Rhode Island" and see how they respond. Suprisingly, while saying "America" may result in a slightly negative reaction, people always smile at the word "Texas".

Of course, a frequent response is for them to contort their hand into the shape of a pistol and say "ah yeah you George Bush cowboy."

It's not just Houston that has this kind of identity problem.

There's New York City, and the rest of New York.

There's Chicago, and then the rest of Illinois.

There's Boston, and then the rest of Massachusetts.

There's Longon, and then the rest of England.

There's Paris, and then the rest of France.

Texas is good PR. At least it has been for me in my travels.

I once was on a train in BFE Bohemia headed to Pilsen talking to a Czech grandma.

Told her I was from Texas, and she got so excited. Started talking about Western movies and how she always wanted to go to Texas. This was about three years after the Velvet Revolution.

Wonder what she would have said if I told her I was from Illionis or Massachusetts?

Texas is good PR. At least it has been for me in my travels.

I once was on a train in BFE Bohemia headed to Pilsen talking to a Czech grandma.

Told her I was from Texas, and she got so excited. Started talking about Western movies and how she always wanted to go to Texas. This was about three years after the Velvet Revolution.

Wonder what she would have said if I told her I was from Illionis or Massachusetts?

Excellent point. I think the states people in the rest of the world know most are Texas, New York, and California. And Florida in the U.K.

I'm pretty sure I've told this story before, but one summer my family went to visit some friends in Arizona who had recently moved there from Houston because of one's job. We went to the Grand Canyon and my dad struck up a conversation with some tourists from England (I don't remember this myself because I was about 3 years old). As soon as they found out that we were from Texas, it's all they wanted to talk about: "Do you eat steak for breakfast?", "Do you know who shot J.R.?", "Do you ride horses?", and then to top it all off, they wanted to have their picture taken with us so they could show their friends back home their "friends from Texas". :lol:

Edited by KimberlySayWhat