Sharpstown Park At 6855 Harbor Town Dr.

roym

I just found this thread about Sharpstown and thought I'd post a link to a post I made in the Historic Houston board: 

Sharpstown Park Golf Course at 6600 Harbor Town Drive.

http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...indpost&p=71649

I used to know this area intimately (lived at Bellaire & Waldo, I believe the address was 8200 Bellaire). I saw someone's comment that they'd have to drive around the area to help remember where everything was. Man, I feel the same way!

I do remember that just west of Sharpstown Country Club there was a grocery store (can't remember which one). That grocery store was at the back of the parking lot and at the front there was a gas station and a Dairy Queen (yum). In between the grocery store and the Country Club (or perhaps in front of it) there was just a field that ran along Bellaire right up to the edge of my apartments. Used to cut across that field all the time to go to the Dairy Queen and the grocery store. There was a litle trail that ran right across that field. Found a box turtle out there one time... (yes, I took it home).

Behind Sharpstown Mall, on the perimeter of the parking lot there was a Firestone and a Monterey House. Man, I used to think that Monterey House had the best food (but all I ever ate were the cheese enchiladas)!!

On Clairewood, behind the mall there was a small ice skating rink. Also on Clairewood & Fondred was (and still is I believe) the Walter Branch public library.

The block of Fondren between Bellaire and 59 had duplexes on one side and a fast food joints on the other. I believe the list included McDonalds, Burger King, Pizza Hut, and Wendy's. Do I have that right? There was also a tiny strip shopping center that had a record store and a Fish and Chips (Alfie's??). And tucked somewhere in there was a small bar that me and my little brother spent many a quarter on at the coin operated pool table. Yep, that's right, two small kids in a bar... wow those were the days.

Ooops, of course I meant this to go in the Sharpstown History thread! Perhaps the moderater can move it...

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Sharpstown Park Golf Course At 6600 Harbor Town Dr.
  • The title was changed to Sharpstown Park At 6855 Harbor Town Dr.