Melrose Park: Condominiums At 1447-1449 Heights Blvd.

segovia

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
Guest Malvoe

Anyone know what is going on with the abandoned condos on Heights and 16th? A sign went up a while ago promising "Luxury Condos", but the place hardly looks suitable for anything luxury. I figured they would tear down the 2 buildings, but they put some new siding up on the 2nd floor of one of the sides. I haven't seen anything since. Oddly, the sign says the prices will range from $100k - $500k. I don't think andyone who has $500K to spend on a condo would want to live there, and they certainly wouldn't want to live next door to a $100k condo. Anyway, anyone have any info on this?

Anyone know what is going on with the abandoned condos on Heights and 16th? A sign went up a while ago promising "Luxury Condos", but the place hardly looks suitable for anything luxury. I figured they would tear down the 2 buildings, but they put some new siding up on the 2nd floor of one of the sides. I haven't seen anything since. Oddly, the sign says the prices will range from $100k - $500k. I don't think andyone who has $500K to spend on a condo would want to live there, and they certainly wouldn't want to live next door to a $100k condo. Anyway, anyone have any info on this?

They began gutting the place a few months ago and the work stopped shortly thereafter. Don't know if they were gutting for rehab or teardown prep. In it's present state the property looks like hell. A real eyesore.

• Like 1

Here's an article on the development.

7/25/2006

GlobeSt.com

Condo Developer Eyes Heights for $10M Plan

By Amy Wolff Sorter

HOUSTON-Going against a condo trend for larger projects, iCityCondo Inc. has built a $10-million pipeline of smaller-size developments in the Heights submarket. The rehab project for the 20-unit Melrose Park Condominiums will soon get underway.

The Melrose, set to deliver in summer 2007 at 1447 Heights Blvd., is a $3-million retooling of a 1960s-era, 22-unit building bought two years ago for $700,000. In tandem with the Melrose, iCityCondo is planning a $7-million, ground-up development: a six-story building with 18 to 24 units. Details will follow as the developer advances the plan.

The Melrose's units, ranging from 600 sf to 1,600 sf, will be marketed at $125,000 to $330,000. APD-Planning & Design LLC of Houston has done the building's redesign. Thomas Green Custom Homes, also from Houston, is the general contractor.

"The goal is for us to be sold out by the time we get these done," Isaac Kyle, iCityCondo's CEO and founder, tells GlobeSt.com. He adds that the project already has generated a great deal of interest. "We ran a third-page ad in a local magazine and had a response rate of 260 people," he says.

Kyle explains all iCityCondo's projects in the Heights area will be smaller ones. "A 300-unit project just doesn't fit well within that neighborhood," he says. "The smaller, low-rise buildings and residential settings work well for everyone."

Kyle says it's a good time for condo development in the Heights neighborhood because the prices of single-family residences are increasing. "The cost of those start around $190,000," he says, "and that's just for a rehab. Melrose Park Condominiums is a good opportunity for someone to have an entry-level product in the neighborhood for far less than that."

Guest Malvoe

Thanks for the info. Interesting. I wonder why they beat around the bush and call it a "retooling of a 1960s-era, 22-unit building" when it is going to be a brand new 6 story building? Considering how crappy the building that is there looks, they should be heavily promoting the fact that they are tearing it down. Hopefully they build something appropriate for the heights, and not some all metal/glass modern-looking building. Whatever it is will be nicer than what is there.

Thanks for the info. Interesting. I wonder why they beat around the bush and call it a "retooling of a 1960s-era, 22-unit building" when it is going to be a brand new 6 story building? Considering how crappy the building that is there looks, they should be heavily promoting the fact that they are tearing it down. Hopefully they build something appropriate for the heights, and not some all metal/glass modern-looking building. Whatever it is will be nicer than what is there.

The 6 story building is a different project than the Heights project. It is near downtown. I have contacted their sales office for information on that 6 story building but have not received a return call.

The 6 story building is a different project than the Heights project. It is near downtown. I have contacted their sales office for information on that 6 story building but have not received a return call.

That's what I gathered as well. Unfortunately the current structure looks like it is here to stay. I have serious doubts as to how the 'retooling' is going to come off, it almost looks worse now than before.

Guest Malvoe

Ahhh, pain! You are right.

"serious doubts as to how the 'retooling' is going to come off, it almost looks worse now than before."

Agreed. That is too bad. Why is it things like the River Oaks Theater being torn down, but crap like this building are "retooled?" Bummer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thank you all for your interest in the property located at 15th and Heights Blvd, Melrose Park Condominium.

The project is finally on the way. Originally the property was going to be rehabbed for apartments, however, we have decided to convert to condominiums. We are now in the process of redeveloping the property to produce a building that will offer the unique charm of the Heights. If you want more information on the project feel free to email

heightscondo@icitycondo.com.

What is the address of the complex?

I know that the complex is in Houston ISD, and I know it is zoned to Hamilton Middle School and Reagan High School - But I do not know what elementary it is zoned to.

EDIT: Reagan High School, NOT Reagan Middle School

Edited by VicMan

Thank you all for your interest in the property located at 15th and Heights Blvd, Melrose Park Condominium.

The project is finally on the way. Originally the property was going to be rehabbed for apartments, however, we have decided to convert to condominiums. We are now in the process of redeveloping the property to produce a building that will offer the unique charm of the Heights. If you want more information on the project feel free to email

heightscondo@icitycondo.com.

welcome to the forum, iwkyle. keep us posted on the process and any renderings. we love renderings around here. :)

welcome to the forum, iwkyle. keep us posted on the process and any renderings. we love renderings around here. :)

I would like to thank everyone for their interest in the project and the neighborhood. We are working dilligently to get the place in order. We are committed to making Melrose Park Condominium the best condominium in the Heights.

I found the school zoning information:

The condo property, which is at 1447 Heights Blvd (77008), is zoned to:

* Love Elementary School - http://es.houstonisd.org/lovees/

* Hamilton Middle School - http://www.alexanderhamiltonms.org/

* Reagan High School - http://hs.houstonisd.org/reaganhs/

Profiles:

* http://dept.houstonisd.org/profiles/Love_ES.pdf

* http://dept.houstonisd.org/profiles/Hamilton_MS.pdf

* http://dept.houstonisd.org/profiles/Reagan_HS.pdf

So if you email the above address, you'll get an auto-reply with .pdfs about the project...but to feed the renderings craving here, I've attached this:

MPC_floorplans.JPG

Also, I added most of the text of the other files here

Thought that would be useful since iCityCondos doesn't seem to have it up on their site. Sorry for the poor spacing, I used a pretty basic hosting progam to get it online.

• 3 months later...

It looks like this project has stalled. I noticed at one point there were new doors installed. I passed by last evening on the way home and it looks like the doors have been removed. I no longer see advertisements for the project. It seemed a bit pricy for what you were getting in return.

It looks like this project has stalled. I noticed at one point there were new doors installed. I passed by last evening on the way home and it looks like the doors have been removed. I no longer see advertisements for the project. It seemed a bit pricy for what you were getting in return.

Yup. Nothing has been done there for months. With so many nice old houses being torn down in the heights, I sure wish someone would start tearing down eyesores like this, too.

Yup. Nothing has been done there for months. With so many nice old houses being torn down in the heights, I sure wish someone would start tearing down eyesores like this, too.

Thank you! Everytime I see a perfectly good house that just needs some TLC come down, I think "Why not the old HEB or CVS on 11th? You could fit a dozen or more townhomes there or even 3-4 big'uns on either of those lots."

• 3 months later...

Outdoor Kitchen

On-Site Fitness Center

Interior Courtyard

Professional Landscaping

Gated Entry

Outdoor Surveillance Cameras

Assigned Parking

Storage Room

Guest Suite

Common Area Insurance Policy

Water

Trash Removal

Fitness Center

Common Area Electric

Landscaping and Lawn Care

Common Area Maintenance

(Courtyard, Storage...)

Guest Suite Maintenance

Community Surveillance Cameras

Venicia - Kraft Maid European Designed Cabinets

Wall Pantry Pullout

Base Cookware Storage Rollout

Contempo Base Super Storage

Granite Countertops

Kitchen Counters

Kitchen Island

Appliances

GE Unitized Spacemaker

post-2526-1175735019.jpg

post-2526-1175735037.jpg

post-2526-1175735058.jpg

post-2526-1175735068.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So, what happened to the great "$1 for a condo" deal the builders' had plastered on a mini-billboard outside of the building for the past 2 months?

The grand opening was scheduled for Easter weekend. I loved hearing the workers banging, sawing and shouting throughout the night as they rushed to "finish" the job.

While the rainy weekend may have put a damper on the $1 bonanza, I was shocked when I drove by and noticed a black garbage bag covering the builders' tasteful advertisement. I'm sure the cop car parked on the 15th Street side lot throughout the afternoon was originally dispatched to provide crowd control: who can turn down $1 Condominiums!

I'd love for the poster shilling for these condos (see upthread) to address a few rumors floating amongst the upper Heights Blvd. crowd. Did the company actually declare bankruptcy? Did some of the backers abscond with funds and flee the area? Did charges of fraud and deceptive advertising have anything to do with the "$1 Condo." signs disappearing?

Thank you to everyone who contributed to this project (builders, speculators, con artists, etc.): you gave this area it's first true eyesore. Maybe you could take the property commercial and provide those of us who live between 11th and 19th @ Heights with our own strip mall: just offer all the franchisees the phenomenal $1 rate and you could hang out a sign in red neon stating "No Vacancies." I mean, what kind of person wouldn't want to have another Subway or Cricket store right in his own backyard?

• 1 month later...
So, what happened to the great "$1 for a condo" deal the builders' had plastered on a mini-billboard outside of the building for the past 2 months? please see www.icitycondo.com for contest rules.

The grand opening was scheduled for Easter weekend. I loved hearing the workers banging, sawing and shouting throughout the night as they rushed to "finish" the job. --- Thank you all very much for your support, we have been working very hard to complete the project, despite the huge amount of vandalism we experience in the initial phases of the project .

While the rainy weekend may have put a damper on the $1 bonanza, I was shocked when I drove by and noticed a black garbage bag covering the builders' tasteful advertisement. I'm sure the cop car parked on the 15th Street side lot throughout the afternoon was originally dispatched to provide crowd control: who can turn down $1 Condominiums! --- The storm put a huge damper on the weekend; however, sales are really good now.

I'd love for the poster shilling for these condos (see upthread) to address a few rumors floating amongst the upper Heights Blvd. crowd. Did the company actually declare bankruptcy? --- This is untrue

Did some of the backers abscond with funds and flee the area? --- This is untrue as well

Did charges of fraud and deceptive advertising have anything to do with the "$1 Condo." signs disappearing? --- This is also untrue as well

If you have any further questions in regard to the project please feel free to email me at iwkyle@icitycondo.com or call me 888CONDO-20 x100

Feel free to stop by and see the models.

• 4 weeks later...

I walk often on Heights Blvd. and was wondering what happened with this condo development (icitycondo)? Back in late March 2007, they had their grand opening. I wonder if they sold any units because the place looks unoccupied and unfinished.

I walk often on Heights Blvd. and was wondering what happened with this condo development (icitycondo)? Back in late March 2007, they had their grand opening. I wonder if they sold any units because the place looks unoccupied and unfinished.

The only units that were finished were the models. I guess the remaining units will be finished as they are sold. The rehab is OK, at least it is an improvement. I think the high price 200+ p/sf is scaring off the buyers. We have a friend who was very interested in a unit but backed off because he couldn't get the price he wanted.

200K+ is way over-priced. The greater part of the exterior structure/parking/landscaping leaves little to be desired. Your friend is probably better off buying an older bungalow in the area (IMHO).

Not 200K, 200+ p/sf. The 600SF units are going for about 130K. Not 200K but still overpriced IMO.