Quick HCAD Question

sevfiv

while either reading from the website or using context clues, i have been able to figure out most of the abbreviations and other terms in hcad property records, but i was wondering if anyone could clarify and possibly explain "cond/desir/util."

thanks!

while either reading from the website or using context clues, i have been able to figure out most of the abbreviations and other terms in hcad property records, but i was wondering if anyone could clarify and possibly explain "cond/desir/util."

thanks!

its the property condition field (if you look at the pre-05 form, the field is just labelled 'condition')

ooops...no its not. there is a property condition field AND one of those fields too.

util? maybe they put a note there for houses under construction to state if they have their utilities hooked up or not at the time of appraisal. since they couldnt say the condition was "average" or "good" if it wasnt finished yet.

desir? desirability???

Edited by gnu

well, there is also a "physical condition" field, along with the "cond/desir/util"...

bleh!

hey you are right!

i guess i don't know anything about it then :blush:

i just looked through a few different records and the physical condition and cond/desir/util field was identical in all cases.

Edited by gnu

hey you are right!

i guess i don't know anything about it then :blush:

i just looked through a few different records and the physical condition and cond/desir/util field was identical in all cases.

On my street, most of them are not the same, including my house. They do not appear consistent as to new or older construction either. My neighbor with the converted warehouse had a good, while most of the homes were average. That suggests to me that "util" means utility, as in useful for many purposes. But, frankly, I am guessing.

On my street, most of them are not the same, including my house. They do not appear consistent as to new or older construction either. My neighbor with the converted warehouse had a good, while most of the homes were average. That suggests to me that "util" means utility, as in useful for many purposes. But, frankly, I am guessing.

You're right about their definition of utility. Those are appraiser terms and have to do with depreciation of the house. Condition is obvious, desireability and utility have more to do with other factors that cause depreciation like having a Wal Mart or freeway built behind you, or something incurable like having the only 1 bedroom shotgun in a neighborhood with 3 bedroom bungalows.

I'm not an appraiser but I'd say that on HCAD, almost all the weight is given to property condition and I know from experience that a successful tax protest, if based on a home's condition, will result in a drop in that category.

• 7 months later...
  • 9 months later...

okay, another question that may not have a good answer because of the nature of the information (hcad)

in the separate "Physical Condition" category, values range from poor to excellent

my question is: does anyone know what this particularly addresses?

looking at 1950s homes versus new builds on a given block, i noticed that most of the newer homes (~2004+) had "Average" under "Physical Condition" while many of the older homes had "Good" (with the mindset that the almost new homes should be in better (or at least same?) physical condition as the older). Is this some sort of hcad anomaly? are these houses really all that bad? and would hcad even acknowledge that?

Physical Cond. i.e. cracked slab, water damage, deterioration.

They grade homes based on the year of construction. So if a home built in the 90's is graded at "Average" they are saying that compared to most homes built in the 90's it is what should be expected. Whereas a home built in the 50's compared to other homes built in the 50's one may standout as "Good" compared to those surrounding it or in other areas.

• 1 year later...

Physical condition and CDU are two separate value modifiers that apply to residential properties.

CDU (Condition/Desirability/Utility) attempts to measure just that; for example, a regular house in a average neighborhood would have a CDU of average. If that same house were to share a property line with a machine shop would have a below average CDU. A house with a golf course view would have an above average CDU where as the same house with no view would have a CDU of average (in the same neighborhood).

Physical Condition is just that, as the house deteriorates the PC gets lowered until such time there is a remodel and the PC is reset to average (or good) and a Remodel code (factor) is also placed on the property.

Hope this helps.

Edited by codewarrior77006