Cova On Washington

Monsterville must be doing very well at the Kirby location of Cova, b/c there is a new one on Washington right by El Tiempo! I don't know if it's open yet, but it looked stocked and ready to go.

Yup, it's open! And doing great business, from what I saw. I went there on Friday, 1/27 and every table and barstool was full, with a handful of people waiting for seats. There are only about 10 tables, but they will need to add more soon... We waited about 5 minutes for some seats at the bar. The bartenders were knowledgable and friendly. Really nice place... a great addition to Washington.

We had tried to go to the Corkscrew wine bar further down Washington, but it wasn't open yet (still didn't look open when I drove by this morning... looked like they were working on it).

Yup, it's open! And doing great business, from what I saw. I went there on Friday, 1/27 and every table and barstool was full, with a handful of people waiting for seats. There are only about 10 tables, but they will need to add more soon... We waited about 5 minutes for some seats at the bar. The bartenders were knowledgable and friendly. Really nice place... a great addition to Washington.

We had tried to go to the Corkscrew wine bar further down Washington, but it wasn't open yet (still didn't look open when I drove by this morning... looked like they were working on it).

Great news! I didn't even know about The Corkscrew!! I wish someone would open a nice wine bar on 19th

So, I went to Cova last week. It was pretty quiet and my friend and I had ample opportunity to speak with the bartender and manager. Interesting... The bartender didn't know that a "magnum" was a 1.5 ml of wine. By the smirk, I can only assume he thought I meant my husband's boss served us a large condom <_<

Then, I asked if they happened to have any Australian wines from Tasmania. He gaffawed and said "Really? Tasmania? Do they even have wineries there?" I assured him they did and then he demanded (in a skeptical, not curious manner) to know what their names were. I rattled off 4 or 5 and he just walked away...

My friend asked him what his background was and he said he was in college, just out the military. Admirable, but has nothing to do with wine. He said he bartended somewhere else before this gig...

So, we spoke to the manager briefly and he has never worked with an extensive wine list. He managed a suburban Chili's or some other chain like that previous to becoming a manager of a WINE BAR!

Anyway, I hate to be a wine snob but I can't wait until Corkscrew opens. Hopefully they have at least one oneophile on staff....

I saw the place for the first time Thursday, as I was heading over to El Tiempo. Couldn't have been more than half a dozen people there. The place looked nice...looked like it should look, I thought.

Heights-yankee's remark's made me nod my head, in the sense that it looks like it may be more for wine posers than wine snobs. Certainly wine lovers should welcome the posers, since it helps everyone if the market is bigger, but I also understand the frustration of having uneducated staff working at a specialty store. So much of wine drinking is being educated as to what one might enjoy. If the staff can't help, then the experience is diluted.

Hopefully, ownership figures this out quickly...or the Corkscrew people may beat them to the punch.

• 3 weeks later...

Cova had their "Grand Opening" on Sunday 3/5... free wine & tapas. Great service and good wines - all the staff seemed well educated, but I'm probably not the best judge of wine knowledge either. The place was packed with people though - I'm not sure if they expected that many.

Down the way in the same shopping center as Cova is going to be a new "tapas & wine" restaurant from the guy who owns Ibiza in midtown. I can't remember the name (Cavalon?) but the sign in the window said "Cavalon[?], tapas & wine, Summer 2006"

More good stuff for the Washington Corridor... yay!

I also heard that Corkscrew is now open... haven't driven by in a couple weeks though.

Archived