Longfellow Elementary School At 3617 Norris Dr.

Nara

Hi, Just curious how did it all end up?

On 12/22/2011 at 9:53 AM, brian0123 said:

Your post reminded me why my wife and I continue to live in Midtown (kid included) instead of the suburbs. Yeah, the burbs have cheaper housing... but a five minute commute so I can spend more time with my family is definitely worth a "premium". That said, I would argue that you end up paying more to live in the burbs. The house we currently are in is the same price I would have paid for a home in the burbs (it's just smaller). Plus, I spend way less in gas (only $40 a month), less on car maintenance, less time in the car, less time waiting in lines at restaurants, etc. etc. and there is a ton of free/cheap stuff to do in the city that the burbs never offered (events at Discovery Green, Miller Outdoor Theatre, events along the bayou, etc.). Plus, I can take the kid to the zoo, Children's Museum, etc. anytime they want to go.

Do you still live in Midtown and where does your kid go to school?

2 hours ago, Nara said:

e Hi, Just curious how did it all end up?

Do you still live in Midtown and where does your kid go to school?

Hi Nara,

We're still in the loop. We had a second kid and ended up moving to Knollwood Village (knollwoodvillage.org). It's walking distance to NRG, and minutes to Rice Village and all the other fun places. It's a 1950's ranch that we fixed up. We still visit Midtown frequently and miss it... but our neighborhood now is like a suburb within the city so kids can ride bikes around in the streets and we don't have to worry about it. There are TONS of kids in this neighborhood. I still insist that living in the city is cheaper than the burbs. My commute is 4 minutes in rush hour traffic, wife reverse commutes 15 minutes, and our mortgage is similar to a suburban mortgage but w/ a better house that's appreciating more than anything in the burbs. If you're looking around 350k here's the cheapest place in my hood at 370k but no monthly fees and you get a whole house w/ yard. http://www.har.com/8443-bluegate/sale_50488744 That's pretty much lot value... so you'd need to do some painting and maintenance. At that price you'd need to get the foundation inspected as well.

As for schools, we're going to do Longfellow next year. It's not the best but people we know that send kids there say it's good. Once past elementary... we're golden since we're zoned to Pershing JH and Bellaire HS.