The Spires Condominium At 2001 Holcombe Blvd.

rena

Does anyone here know about this building? I would really appreciate if someone could give me some info about it. I work in medical center and am interested in buying a condo at The Spires. One of my coworkers told me this building is too old to buy and he suggested one brand new (presale) at Galleria where is too far away. Any suggestions guys? Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

The Spires is a nice building. The units vary widely in style and price though. Check www.har.com to see current listings.

Another option, if you want new and can wait a year or so, would be to check out the new Mosaic Project on Almeda. Looks to be very nice and will be located on the Northeastern corner of Hermann Park.

Other hi-rise options in this general area include 5000 Montrose (great building and location), Warwick Towers (very top notch) and the older 1400 Hermann Bldg. All of the above are nice hi-rises.

Of course, Commerce Towers downtown is right on the rail line and it's a SUPER building. If you are up for living downtown, I'd highly suggest you check out this one.

• Like 1

I agree with kinkaid on a few points - namely that warwick is top-notch. 5000 montrose and 1400 are significantly less expensive per square foot than warwick - but warwick does have great high ceilings and a certain elan.

Mosaics status is questionable at best. Commerce tower has a ton of problems - not the least of which is that they can't sell it out. I would not buy in any new building with more than 150 units. The absorption in Houston just isn't great enough.

Spires is a nice building though and has a great localtion if you work in the med center.

What are you looking for and what price range - with that info - I can definetly point you to the right buildings.

Does anyone here know about this building? I would really appreciate if someone could give me some info about it. I work in medical center and am interested in buying a condo at The Spires. One of my coworkers told me this building is too old to buy and he suggested one brand new (presale) at Galleria where is too far away. Any suggestions guys? Thanks in advance!

The Spires is an outstanding building. I don't think a substantial building constructed in the 1980's is too old. Most high rise, including this one, update the lobby and other common areas every few years. This one has.

If you visit the building you will be impressed.

One bedrooms are around 900 sq. ft., small two bedrooms are 1,210 sq. ft. The east and west ends of the building are the largest units.

I think maintenance is running about 55 cents per square foot for this full service building.

The Mark has so many resale units on the market already. Check out har.com. Resales are not doing well. The Spires is a much classier feeling building.

The Mosaic has received financing approval for one building only, all rental units.

Visit it. You'll like it.

Hi guys, thank you all very much for the info. Very helpful. I just got back from the Mosaic. I heard about it for the first time from Kinkaid (thank you Kinkaid, i appreciated) yesterday. I then googled it and read it all night long last night and got excited. I printed out the floor plans they posted online. Today, after work, I rushed to 5925 Almeda - Their sales office was closed. I parked the car across the street, walked to the site and talked to the construction workers. They told me it has been closed for a while. The old sales people are gone. The new replacement has not come yet. About the construction, they told me it will be well built. (Actually they explained about how it will be built a lot. I just couldn't understand their terms completely.) Hi Goodfella, I'm looking for 2 bed or 1 bed+den, around $200,000 to $250,000, please point out the right buildings for me. Iwood, I have been to The Mark and don't like its looks. (sorry but women pay more attention to the looks). I went to The Spires and like it. I like the 2727 Kirby the most, but can't afford for it. I saw the sign at Mosaics today, they say it starts from $190,000. Woud you guys please give me more info and suggestions? Thanks a lot, I appreciate your time!

Oops, I forgot to mention I only consider highrise near Medical Center. I live far away now and plan to move closer.

Hi guys, thank you all very much for the info. Very helpful. I just got back from the Mosaic. I heard about it for the first time from Kinkaid (thank you Kinkaid, i appreciated) yesterday. I then googled it and read it all night long last night and got excited. I printed out the floor plans they posted online. Today, after work, I rushed to 5925 Almeda - Their sales office was closed. I parked the car across the street, walked to the site and talked to the construction workers. They told me it has been closed for a while. The old sales people are gone. The new replacement has not come yet. About the construction, they told me it will be well built. (Actually they explained about how it will be built a lot. I just couldn't understand their terms completely.) Hi Goodfella, I'm looking for 2 bed or 1 bed+den, around $200,000 to $250,000, please point out the right buildings for me. Iwood, I have been to The Mark and don't like its looks. (sorry but women pay more attention to the looks). I went to The Spires and like it. I like the 2727 Kirby the most, but can't afford for it. I saw the sign at Mosaics today, they say it starts from $190,000. Woud you guys please give me more info and suggestions? Thanks a lot, I appreciate your time!

Oops, I forgot to mention I only consider highrise near Medical Center. I live far away now and plan to move closer.

1400 Hermann is showing it's age and the maintenance fee includes electricity (high maintenance), the Parklane is 90% rental units, Parc IV and Parc V aren't too classy and the maintenance fee includes electricity. That leaves 5000 Montrose. I really like the building. It's in a walking neighborhood. It has a great pool area on the 6th? floor. I think maintenance is running at 55 cents/sq. ft.

One of the papers recently stated that of the two Mosaic towers only one had received financing approval. That was going to be the rental tower. The article stated the "for sale" tower was not moving forward yet. That's why the sales trailer is gone.

• 2 years later...
Does anyone have any new opinions on the Spires?

It's a classy building. I don't live there but I wish I did. The maintenance fee good, especially when you consider all that it includes. I believe this bulding has a chilled water AC system for the AC. Great services. If you choose one of the units on HCAD, click on ownership record, you will see that they are relatively slow to change hands. There are typically only 7 or 8 on the market at any one time. That's less than 3% of the building.

The Realtor Shirley Sanders has a great high rise report on her web site. Units sold and units for sale, by building.

The Chronicle recently had a story that said that in 8 years the medical center will be larger than downtown. As long as the medical center is there, I think this building will do well.

• The title was changed to The Spires Condominium At 2001 Holcombe Blvd.
  • 1 year later...