Corky's Restaurant At 10800 South Post Oak Rd.

Highrise Tower

I was browsing the newspaper The Bellaire & Southwestern Texan dated July 30, 1969 and came across a restaurant advertisement for Corky's Restaurant located at 10800 South Post Oak Road at Willowbend Blvd.

Does anyone remember this restaurant? Was this located in the present-day Wallgreens retail strip center? Or where Annie's Hamburgers is? 

Corky's
10800 South Post Oak at Willowbend
Dinner Box Chicken
2 Pieces Fried Chicken, French Fries, Roll, Free Turnover - 87 cents

Corker Burger
Shakes
Hot Turnovers
Cheese Corkers
Giant Fish Sandwich
Soft Drinks
Coffee
Dixie Fried Chicken
Jumbo Hot Dog
Beef On Bun

Families and Parties Welcome - Relax and Enjoy Good Good Delicious Treats To Enjoy Here or Take Home

hF53Pw8.png

• 1 month later...

I believe this chain (which sadly didn't last very long) was owned by the same company/people that owned Walgreens and Globe Dept Stores. I remember it vividly and the sight of this ad fills me with both nostalgia and sorrow. Usually they were found connected to or right next door to Walgreen's.

As a child, my family ate often at the one less than a mile away. Reminded me of the old "One's-A-Meal" or the "Dot" (at least it's still around).

I miss such eateries and mourn their loss.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Urban Commando said:

I believe this chain (which sadly didn't last very long) was owned by the same company/people that owned Walgreens and Globe Dept Stores. I remember it vividly and the sight of this ad fills me with both nostalgia and sorrow. Usually they were found connected to or right next door to Walgreen's.

As a child, my family ate often at the one less than a mile away. Reminded me of the old "One's-A-Meal" or the "Dot" (at least it's still around).

I miss such eateries and mourn their loss.

You are correct, sir. Corky's was owned by Walgreens. The name came from Charles Rudolph (Cork) Walgreen III, the founder's grandson. He was president of Walgreens at the time.

I don't remember this one but there was a location in New Orleans (next to a Walgreens). No idea how long the venture lasted but I don't think it was long.

One's-A-Meal -- now that was one of my favorites.

• Like 1