Images of America: Around Aldine just released

Firebird65

Hi all,

Hope this isn't a violation of the rules. I used to post on here a lot about the history of Aldine. Thanks to all the knowledgeable posters on this board and some personal research, I was finally able to put together the history of the area. I partnered with a MacArthur graduate who found lots of great pictures and together we published a book about Aldine as part of the Images of America series by Arcadia Publishing. The book was released yesterday (Jan. 16) and is now available for order. It's called Around Aldine and is available on Amazon (link in the title). I'm not posting this to make money, rather to let those who posted to and with me over the years who said "You ought to write a book" know that I did! 

NewCover-1.jpg

Edited by Firebird65
smaller jpeg
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, steve1363 said:

The Aldine book won’t be shipped until March.  Oddly though, there was 1 used book available to be shipped in February.

The March shipping date is only applicable to Amazon - I suspect they got quite a few orders as soon as people became aware of it, and their available stock got depleted quickly.

It should be available from other retailers, and can also be ordered directly from Arcadia Publishing's website:

Around Aldine

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/20/2023 at 9:25 PM, steve1363 said:

The Aldine book won’t be shipped until March.  Oddly though, there was 1 used book available to be shipped in February.

The East Aldine Management District ordered $5,000 worth of books. I assume Amazon probably gives volume discounts, so that could mean between 200 and 250 copies. I suspect they're the ones who depleted Amazon's stock. As the author, I'm sure not complaining about that! I also went on an advertising blitz on Facebook. There are lots of Aldine related pages on Facebook.

As mkultra states in another post, it is available from other retailers. I know Barnes and Noble has it. And, of course, the publisher itself (Arcadia) has it. 

I did see that used copy for sale. It was like that on the first day. Weird, huh? .! 

If you want one, I hope you're able to get it and I appreciate your interest.

• Like 1

On 1/20/2023 at 8:38 PM, cowboybud said:

The same publisher has a book about Sugar Land that's sold at my local Walgreens.

There are as many of these Images of America books as there are stars in the sky. They're not just limited to Texas. It's an awesome idea that gives amateurs a chance to get published in a way not possible before and a way for folks to learn local history, even in areas where nothing world changing happened. 

Writing was the easy part of this project. I had pretty much everything I needed 5 years ago thanks to all the tips I got on here and independent research. The toughest thing was the images. I did the text and my partner found the photos. He had already done an Images of America book on Humble so he had lots of connections at the Texas Room downtown. But even once he had the photos, then it was a question of whether they were of high enough resolution to be put into a book. A lot of otherwise good pics were left on the floor because while they looked good on a computer screen, they couldn't cut it when printed. They were either too dark or too grainy or not sharp enough. 

After all the postings and interactions I'm so happy now that the people who shared my journey of discovery can now enjoy the fruits of all that work. To all who have ordered, thanks for your support. I'd love to read your reactions once you've had the chance to go through it.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Firebird65 said:

The East Aldine Management District ordered $5,000 worth of books. I assume Amazon probably gives volume discounts, so that could mean between 200 and 250 copies. I suspect they're the ones who depleted Amazon's stock. As the author, I'm sure not complaining about that! I also went on an advertising blitz on Facebook. There are lots of Aldine related pages on Facebook.

As mkultra states in another post, it is available from other retailers. I know Barnes and Noble has it. And, of course, the publisher itself (Arcadia) has it. 

I did see that used copy for sale. It was like that on the first day. Weird, huh? .! 

If you want one, I hope you're able to get it and I appreciate your interest.

I ordered from Arcadia.  It’s already on its way!  I grew up off E. Mt. Houston about a mile south of MacArthur…went to Orange Grove Elementary and Hambrick.  Looking forward to reading your book.

• Like 2

On 1/24/2023 at 9:18 PM, Firebird65 said:

There are as many of these Images of America books as there are stars in the sky. They're not just limited to Texas. It's an awesome idea that gives amateurs a chance to get published in a way not possible before and a way for folks to learn local history, even in areas where nothing world changing happened. 

Writing was the easy part of this project. I had pretty much everything I needed 5 years ago thanks to all the tips I got on here and independent research. The toughest thing was the images. I did the text and my partner found the photos. He had already done an Images of America book on Humble so he had lots of connections at the Texas Room downtown. But even once he had the photos, then it was a question of whether they were of high enough resolution to be put into a book. A lot of otherwise good pics were left on the floor because while they looked good on a computer screen, they couldn't cut it when printed. They were either too dark or too grainy or not sharp enough. 

After all the postings and interactions I'm so happy now that the people who shared my journey of discovery can now enjoy the fruits of all that work. To all who have ordered, thanks for your support. I'd love to read your reactions once you've had the chance to go through it.

I received my book yesterday!  I can’t wait to read it in detail.  I skimmed through it last night and my heart was flooded with memories - mostly good.  The pictures of Greenspoint Mall made me sad.  I remember when it opened and how nice it was.  I also worked at Sears credit central in the early 1980s.  I’d walk to the food court during my breaks.  I remember a Great American Cookie Company at the corner of the food court that would serve hot little cookies in a bag - so good for a work break!

I loved reading the history of the schools in your book.  I always felt like Aldine was a microcosm of Houston.  My schools were always diverse - much more than they are nowadays.  One of my enduring memories of elementary school was participating in a district-wide annual concert at the Aldine High School Auditorium.  My school sang “Abraham, Martin, and John” one year and at the end all the schools sang “The Battle Hymn of the Republic.”  I get goose bumps thinking about it, and the Dion song (below) brought tears to my eyes when I heard it this morning.  The violence of the 60’s was so fresh, and today’s politics is so morally bankrupt.  Thanks for your book!

• Like 2

• 9 months later...

Firebird, I got my copy of Around Aldine last week. I really enjoyed reading the book. It brought back many memories; mostly good but one particularly bad. I was two rows away from the row that collapsed at the stadium in September of 1977. That was the most disturbing thing I had witnessed to that point in my life.

I noticed in the acknowledgments the names of three individuals who figured very positively in my early life. Edgar Reeves was our family's insurance agent and went above and beyond each time we needed his assistance. I've since learned he was instrumental in getting the historical marker for Aldine installed at the site of the original school.

Elizabeth Battle was my history teacher. Her passion for history was indeed infectious. She gets much of the credit for my continued enjoyment of the subject.

I had three different classes with Gerald Wesbrook, one at Stovall Jr. High and two at Aldine Sr. High. Needless to say, they were very positive. He was absolutely born to teach. We stay in touch to this day fifty years on.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/14/2023 at 4:05 PM, Specwriter said:

Firebird, I got my copy of Around Aldine last week. I really enjoyed reading the book. It brought back many memories; mostly good but one particularly bad. I was two rows away from the row that collapsed at the stadium in September of 1977. That was the most disturbing thing I had witnessed to that point in my life.

I noticed in the acknowledgments the names of three individuals who figured very positively in my early life. Edgar Reeves was our family's insurance agent and went above and beyond each time we needed his assistance. I've since learned he was instrumental in getting the historical marker for Aldine installed at the site of the original school.

Elizabeth Battle was my history teacher. Her passion for history was indeed infectious. She gets much of the credit for my continued enjoyment of the subject.

I had three different classes with Gerald Wesbrook, one at Stovall Jr. High and two at Aldine Sr. High. Needless to say, they were very positive. He was absolutely born to teach. We stay in touch to this day fifty years on.

Glad you liked it!

• Like 1