Tropicana Pool At 6000 Telephone Rd.

plumber

Every year, in the 50's & early 60's, Playland Park had "back to School" party. Houston Press had 1 coupon each day during summer, & was good for 1 free ride. We would collect coupons from anyone that would give to us, ride bus from Near North Side to Playland, & ride Roller Coaster 30 or 40 times. Used to see the Houston Wrestlers of Paul Bosch at the party every year.

There was also a Huge public swimming pool near there. Gateway Swim? Had a big bubble at bottom of deep end you could swim down to and actually breathe inside the bubble.... can't quite remember how that worked... hummmmm

The pool you probably remember was the Tropicana Pool on Telephone Rd. near Long Drive. The pool was

private but was open to the public. My parents had friends who lived in Garden Villas that were members. I was too you to go into the bubble but my older brothers and sister did. I was more fascinated with the retractable metal roof that slid over the pool area when it rained, kind of like Minute Maid Park. The pool closed about the same time the surrounding neighborhoods integrated and white families left the area. (mid 60's)

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I have been waiting for this type of book. I even went so far as to write several chapters of something myself which served more to clear some things out of my own mind more than to offer an enjoyable read to others. In my 48 plus years I have lived all but one, within four miles of Telephone Road. I almost burned down Stubbs Cycles as a kid and spent many a day hanging out with my Father at Sheffields Ice House. I went to school at Golfcrest Elementary, Brookline Elementary and Jackson Jr. High. All very close to Telephone. I remember the Four Palms, the Santa Rosa, the Tropicana Swimming Pool, The Telephone Road Drive In, and going to watch planes take off and land at Hobby Airport.

I ordered my copy and look forward to a walk down memory lane.

To Burton,

I also live in Pearland and my son and daughter both graduated from PHS. My son in 2003 and my daughter at the semester break last month.

• 4 months later...

I recall going under that bubble just once, and it was full of tobacco smoke....kids actually smoked in that bubble! Now that's getting desperate!

Closer to me was Glenbrook Valley Pool. Someone also built a huge pool with a retractable roof not far from Santa Rosa theater, but I don't recall its name.

Patrick

Closer to me was Glenbrook Valley Pool. Someone also built a huge pool with a retractable roof not far from Santa Rosa theater, but I don't recall its name.

tropicana

• 1 year later...

I remember going to Gateway. At that young age, it seemed to be a long, scary trip down to the bubble in the deep end. Probably still long and scary at this old age. Once there, you couldn't take the pressure to your ears very long.

Wasn't there a swimming pool similar to Gateway located on Long Point back in the 60s/70s?

I'm not familiar with the one on Long Point, but there was one on Telephone Rd. called the "Tropicana". It also had an underwater bubble, high dive platforms, slides and a covered roof that closed during rain. It was on the west side of the road somewhere between Long Drive and Garden Villas. I was very young, and we went along as guests of a member.

I'm not familiar with the one on Long Point, but there was one on Telephone Rd. called the "Tropicana". It also had an underwater bubble, high dive platforms, slides and a covered roof that closed during rain. It was on the west side of the road somewhere between Long Drive and Garden Villas. I was very young, and we went along as guests of a member.

I remember the Tropicana sitting somewhere in between the Santa Rosa Theater (east side of road) and Bellfort. But it was located on the west side of the road, before Brays Bayou. I never went there.

I remember the Tropicana sitting somewhere in between the Santa Rosa Theater (east side of road) and Bellfort. But it was located on the west side of the road, before Brays Bayou. I never went there.

I think the Tropicana pool was at 6000 Telephone. Where the current low-income (or elderly?) low-rise apartment building is located.

• 1 year later...

I remember site #3 on Telephone Rd. at Westover. This was located near the Tropicana Pool. That was a long time ago....1960 or 1961?

I lived on Park Place and went to Hartman Junior High so I passed that building every day to and from school. I remember thinking how exciting it was to have something so important right there in the neighborhood. I remember the Tropicana Pool, too. Went to many a swim party there.

Archived