Super Bowl Champion Or Super Bowl Hosts?

DJ V Lawrence

What causes more city pride?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. What would you rather see?

• Houston Texans win a Super Bowl
    • Houston host another Super Bowl

Here's how da topic came aboot. (um, about) :)

Here overseas, I ran into a dude from Detroit. Mad pride into the fact that his hometown's Downtown is the #1 tourist attraction in America for a weekend or two. We talked about how we love our hometown teams, and wish to see them both win the championship. But then as we thought about it, we felt that Detroit AND Houston were already champions for the way our cities transformed so the whole world could see how much they changed.

I'm curious as to what you'd rather see, what you think is more beneficial to a hometown, and why :)

Economics say you really want to host. As a sports fan I would love for the Texans to win one, but hosting is the best for the city of Houston.

How about the best of both worlds, first time ever home team win in the superbowl :D

Ciao, and Hook 'em Horns,

Capt-AWACS, Seven Continents Down, None to Go

Economics say you really want to host. As a sports fan I would love for the Texans to win one, but hosting is the best for the city of Houston.

How about the best of both worlds, first time ever home team win in the superbowl :D

Ciao, and Hook 'em Horns,

Capt-AWACS, Seven Continents Down, None to Go

I agree. It depends on your perspective.

I agree. It depends on your perspective.

PERFECT example of that :(

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/football/3622991.html

This article goes to show that even if you clean up a city for two weekends, you can't necesarily fool the pubic. It seems that even though Detroit is hosting the Super Bowl, the media coverage about the city could end up make Detroit look worse than if they didn't host. Almost as if the city of Detroit focused much more on hosting a big event than improving quality of life there.

Houston suceeded in Super Bowl because what America and the world saw was the Real-Deal-Holyfield. The Main Event still took place after the Super Bowl. Light Rail wasn't temporary. We still made a case to host other big events after it. The airport was sparkling. It looked like a city you would want to come back to.

Absolutely, if you don't have your ducks in a row, the media will make you wish you never had a Super Bowl. Jacksonville got skewered, and Detroit is garnering it's share of less-than-flattering press. Houston, in comparison, did well. There were the usual superficial views of sprawl, strip malls, etc. But, there were also a lot of pleasantly surprised articles. And the city got great reviews afterward.

Even the bad news isn't portrayed the same way. In years past, Enron WAS Houston. Now, the reports detach the city from the scandal, merely stating that Houston is the "scene" of the biggest corporate trial, similar to the way New York is where you see financial scandals, or Washington for politics. The cities are not the villains, merely the locations.

In the final analysis, a team in the Super Bowl shows a good job done by the owner. A city hosting the Super Bowl (can) shows a good job done by a city.

Absolutely, if you don't have your ducks in a row, the media will make you wish you never had a Super Bowl. Jacksonville got skewered, and Detroit is garnering it's share of less-than-flattering press. Houston, in comparison, did well. There were the usual superficial views of sprawl, strip malls, etc. But, there were also a lot of pleasantly surprised articles. And the city got great reviews afterward.

Even the bad news isn't portrayed the same way. In years past, Enron WAS Houston. Now, the reports detach the city from the scandal, merely stating that Houston is the "scene" of the biggest corporate trial, similar to the way New York is where you see financial scandals, or Washington for politics. The cities are not the villains, merely the locations.

In the final analysis, a team in the Super Bowl shows a good job done by the owner. A city hosting the Super Bowl (can) shows a good job done by a city.

The only negative publicity about Houston that were mentioned was sprawl and strip malls, as RedScare pointed out. However, I rarely ever heard that as a major issue (this is coming from someone who was watching the media coverage like a hawk overseas months prior to the event. And EVERYTIME I heard of that as a problem, it was from a New York/New England journalists who lived there their whole lives and didn't know any better. Asian, European, and other international entities were saying on the news that they thought Houston was more sophisticated host city than any other before. They all thought of Jacksonville as a spot on the map.

I just wanted to mention that there isn't much international coverage about Enron, especially when it comes to negative publicity on Houston. If anything, it's more positive about Houston, and negative about Ken Lay, if ever mentioned. Expect it to make front-page news in Houston, occasional mention through the national media, and very little, if any, mention through the world press.

Houston has still been making positive headlines after hosting the Super Bowl (look at 2005) and has great progress partially because of that media spark. Jacksonville didn't gain too much coverage after the game, and is seen as a small town after hosting. Detroit is now being seen by national and international press as a city trying to redevelop, but doesn't have it's priorities straight as to what's most important, a negligent city, and the poorest in America.

Just shows that we should be proud of the job we did, proud to live in a city like Houston, and have people like yourselves to respectfully debate on creativity. We hosted great Super Bowl because we play great hosts to ourselves first :)

Archived