Race Track In Bellaire

Highrise Tower

I was reading the newspaper The Bellaire Texan dated October 12, 1955 and found an article about Camp Cherokee that was located on the former site of a sanitary landfill.  At the end of the article there was a few sentences that discussed a race track in Bellaire.

I don't think they are speaking about the Houston Speedway (later named Bellaire Speedway.) They must be speaking about a race track within the City of Bellaire municipal limits.  The dates are different. The Houston Speedway shut down in the 1930s.  The article is dated in the 1950s. 

I thought I remembered hearing about a smaller race track in Bellaire in the 1940s/1950s.  Does anyone recall this? I will see if I can find the other article giving a more precise location.  Thought it was near the West Loop? I tried to look on Google Earth once and could not locate an oval track. 

Camp Cherokee Finally Opens.

Rain and muddy roads all but postponed Camp Cherokee opening for the second time Saturday but the 100 braved the seven miles out to the sanitary fill site for the formal dedication of the acres of land turned over as a picnic ground for Bellaire families. 

All sporting events and demonstrations of the land fill method were cancelled.

The afternoon became simply a big weiner roast (hot dogs furnished free by the Recreation Department) with miniature tracts awarded as gate prizes.

Welcoming the visitors, William Byrd, chairman of the City Recreation Board, asked that Bellaire families consider the acreage as their picnic grounds and assured them the board will see that Camp Cherokee will be used for the benefit of Bellaire young.

In his brief remarks, Mayor H.L. Hodell reveled that the land across the road from Camp Cherokee was now quoted at $2100 per acre compared with $685 per acre that the city paid last year.

City manager Gary Summers announced that the one-fourth mile oval track is ready for midget car try-outs. Ready, that is, when the sun comes out and dries the mud.

UMjP0e5.png

P6rFPso.png

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

The Bellaire Texan dated Wednesday, May 19, 1982:

The Bellaire City Council Monday night gave the city Parks and Recreation Department the go-ahead to construct a Bicycle Motor Cross (BMX) track at the LaFayette Park.

According to the Parks Director Charlie Cowan the term "Bicycle Motor Cross" is deceiving in that the track is strictly for bicycle. There are, he says, no motors involved in the sport.

"It's just a series of bumps and curves in a dirt trail that kids ride their bikes on," Cowan told Council. 

Children who use the facility will b required to wear protective gear; helmet, gloves, long-sleeved shirt, shoes and a mouth guard, he says. 

The track will be constructed only of dirt, which will be left over from the Holly Street sewer repairs currently underway.  It will be spread on the ground to produce a curving trail. Tires will be inserted at various locations to provide bumps. The track will be designed so that it will not be attractive to motor bikers, Cowan says.

The park is located across from the city public works compound, at LaFayette St. by Newcastle.

Gw2sx5d.png