Samuel Hain Farm On South Main St.

Highrise Tower

I was browsing the newspaper The Houston Post dated April 9, 1911 and came across a social section of local events and happenings. One article caught my eye. 

Now, back in 1911 I don't think South Main (Boulevard) went very far.  I'm pretty sure they meant Old Main Street Road. I actually don't know, just an educated guess.  I guess "South Main Blvd" would have started on the outskirts of Downtown extending to the Rice campus. Anything past the Rice campus would have been OMSR. There's a map somewhere on HAIF that shows South Main Blvd. not going further than the Rice campus.

The article:

There was an unusual gathering last Thursday at Samuel L. Hain's farm on South Main street, where Florence Lillian, the 8-year-old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. A.W. Archer took dinner with her great grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. Henry Clay Hain and her grandfather Sam K. Hain. 

Those present were her great-grandfather, Henry Clay Hain, aged 82; great-grandmother, Mrs. M.C. Hain aged 77; Mrs. M.M. Archer, 83 years--

g6LLmJ1.png

5 minutes ago, Ross said:

1911 directory shows him 2.5 miles beyond city limits on Main.

image.png.57cfb8829d142d10ea0f215ccc2b949c.png

Other city directory entries over the years show him living all over town in various rooming houses

Buried at Forest Park Cemetery https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/182131929/samuel-lewis_williams-hain

In 1907 S.L. Hain sold land to Charles Weber.

S.L. Hain et al to Charles Weber Sr., 1.25 acres out of P.W. Rose survey.
Martha Hain to Charles Weber, Sr., 1.25 acres of P.W. Rose survey.

QMiLWUC.png

• The title was changed to Samuel Hain Farm On South Main St.

I guess it was inevitable that a family named Hain would have a son they would name Samuel, or Sam. I'm betting they gave him that name as a joke. The name "Samhain" is very ancient name in Great Britain. It's pronounced “SOW-in” or “SAH-win”, and it was a pagan festival celebrated by the ancient Celts halfway between the autumn equinox and the winter solstice. It began at dusk around October 31st and likely lasted three days. Samhain is considered by many to be the precursor to modern Halloween celebrations. Samhain is also the modern Irish word for the month of November. 

Edited by FilioScotia
  • Like 3