Holmes Road Waste Incinerator At 3100 West Bellfort Ave.

Highrise Tower

Does anyone know the operating dates of the Holmes Road Waste Incinerator that was on Holmes Road in Sunnyside?

Picture I found while searching is below.

I do know that something, after years and years, will be benefiting this site. A proposed (now underway?) solar farm is proposed here. That would be such an awesome transformation!

According to a City of Houston remediation report, the address is 3100 Bellfort Ave. which is near Holmes Road.   I am not sure if that's the sole address to the complex. There might be multiple addresses?

Z1gvbeT.png

qahY5Bw.jpg

There's lots online about the Holmes Rd. Incinerator.  Here's a piece from the Chron.  We used to have relatives in Sunnyside, moving down from the Heights in the 50s and gone by the late 60s to West U.  We'd come up 288 (now 521), take Knight Rd. to get on Holmes and go across to Griggs, right by the incinerator.   I would see trucks there but never saw any smoke and all I remember is a metal structure that was the actual incinerator, I guess.  Controversial from the beginning.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, brucesw said:

There's lots online about the Holmes Rd. Incinerator.  Here's a piece from the Chron.  We used to have relatives in Sunnyside, moving down from the Heights in the 50s and gone by the late 60s to West U.  We'd come up 288 (now 521), take Knight Rd. to get on Holmes and go across to Griggs, right by the incinerator.   I would see trucks there but never saw any smoke and all I remember is a metal structure that was the actual incinerator, I guess.  Controversial from the beginning.

Thanks for the link. Hard to believe anyone would think that burning old batteries would be a good idea. This is the sort of article that people whining about the EPA and environmental regulations need to read

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Holmes Road Waste Incinerator At 3100 West Bellfort Ave.
  • 1 year later...