Mod In The Burbs?

Cortinakidd

My husband and I bought a 1967 mod (?) in Spring. Aside from some bad tile decisions and some hokey victorian style molding, the home looks as though it has been pretty much untouched. What I'm interested in is a plaque that sits near our driveway. It reads "1969-1972 In gratitude to C.A Williams, T.M. Bolton, W.E. Richards, W.M. Wolfe" I looked for these names on the net and found nothing. Does anyone know if these are possibly the architects that had a hand in building my house? If so any info on them?

Sorry I don't have a photo published on the web. I can't seem to figure out how to post my personal photo up on this board.

However, I do know of another modern home in my same subdividsion that looks almost exactly like my home. We are the only two like this in this subdivision. the rest are 1970-1980's tracts.

the address of the other house is 610 Ames Street Spring, TX 77373 in the North Hill Estates. It is for sale and can be viewed on yahoo realty. Here is a link I hope it works:

http://prugarygreene.com/details/photos.as...filiateId=TX044

Thanks

Hi:

I've been eavesdropping on the forum from sunny California for a few months now, and I had to reply because the house you mentioned is one that I've looked at on-line. I've been using the year built feature on garygreene.com and trying to check out houses in the Houston area that fit the right time frame. The one you bought and the the one for sale are a couple of the oldest, and only mods, that appear this far north in Houston. I wonder if they were built at the same time, perhaps on spec?

The one for sale has the usual problems. Atrocious wallpaper and crown molding, plus that "God, if I see it one more time, I'm going to scream" Saltillo (sp?) tile. Hasn't anyone there heard of any other kind of tile, how about terra cotta? Other than that, it still looks pretty good.

What's life like living out that far? Is that far? The google maps make it look pretty green and rural. I would be retired if I moved there, but I guess people commute into downtown?

Sorry I can't help you with your question, but I was suprised to see your post. When the folks on the forum talk about mods, they seem to miss the ones farther afield, like here. I've seen some cool ones, from time to time, in Dickinson and Lake Jackson and Conroe as well.

If your house is like this one, it has good bones. What are the upkeep issues, and can you even air condition a house like that in your climate :-).

So many questions, so little time. Appreciate any response by any one. Thanks.

Hi:

I've been eavesdropping on the forum from sunny California for a few months now, and I had to reply because the house you mentioned is one that I've looked at on-line. I've been using the year built feature on garygreene.com and trying to check out houses in the Houston area that fit the right time frame. The one you bought and the the one for sale are a couple of the oldest, and only mods, that appear this far north in Houston. I wonder if they were built at the same time, perhaps on spec?

The one for sale has the usual problems. Atrocious wallpaper and crown molding, plus that "God, if I see it one more time, I'm going to scream" Saltillo (sp?) tile. Hasn't anyone there heard of any other kind of tile, how about terra cotta? Other than that, it still looks pretty good.

What's life like living out that far? Is that far? The google maps make it look pretty green and rural. I would be retired if I moved there, but I guess people commute into downtown?

Sorry I can't help you with your question, but I was suprised to see your post. When the folks on the forum talk about mods, they seem to miss the ones farther afield, like here. I've seen some cool ones, from time to time, in Dickinson and Lake Jackson and Conroe as well.

If your house is like this one, it has good bones. What are the upkeep issues, and can you even air condition a house like that in your climate :-).

Thats a really nice house.We can take a look at it for you if you want, and maybe you join the ranks of "Califonia invaders"

The airconditioning thing really isnt an issue as the weather isnt all that bad here.

Im trying to upload a pic of my house, I will get it posted when my computer decides to work

Good to hear from you! Are you one of the Lotta Living people? I frequent that site for great advice.

You're right that the outlying areas don't have as many moderns. Most of that area was "way out there" until the 70s when Houston started getting huge. And most people who would live out in Spring (or down in Lake Jackson) are probably less inclined to buy/build modern. I remember my mom taking me out there to do all her "country kitchen" shopping. Search the old topics if you want more info on country kitchens! I was suprised to find such a cool house in Spring. It's going to need some work, but hopefully the right people will do it.

By the way, be careful about knocking saltillo tile. We have it in our mod and it looks beautiful (well, to me at least!) I think it was a favorite flooring of William Jenkins. He had it in his own home too.

Jason

DSC04370.jpg

Hi:

Good to hear from you! Are you one of the Lotta Living people? I frequent that site for great advice.

You're right that the outlying areas don't have as many moderns. Most of that area was "way out there" until the 70s when Houston started getting huge. And most people who would live out in Spring (or down in Lake Jackson) are probably less inclined to buy/build modern. I remember my mom taking me out there to do all her "country kitchen" shopping. Search the old topics if you want more info on country kitchens! I was suprised to find such a cool house in Spring. It's going to need some work, but hopefully the right people will do it.

By the way, be careful about knocking saltillo tile. We have it in our mod and it looks beautiful (well, to me at least!) I think it was a favorite flooring of William Jenkins. He had it in his own home too.

Jason

DSC04370.jpg

Hi:

Sorry, didn't mean to trash your floor :-). It does look great in your pic. I just suprised how little terrazo, slate and wood you seem to find in these houses. That's what you find in mods here in So Cal.

I have followed your posts on your house and your celebratory open house. I hope it went well. Do I remember right that you are in Glenbrook? Could you post a picture of the exterior of your house? Do I remember right, that you are near that recently listed house, the big flat roof one with the basket weave front fence. Nice to hear from you.

BTW, I do check Lotta Living but I am more of an Atomic Ranch kind of guy. If you click my screen name and check the info, there is a link to Atomic Ranch. I had my house in one issue, but only in the reader generated contributions page they have each issue.

I finally got a photo uploaded of my place. That photo of the other house for sale is a really bad photo. the house is really great in person. The only way it differs from mine in that it surrounds a private courtyard and mine just opens to a traditional back yard.

My hubby and I moved here from California too. We moved from L.A. we moved here for this house. I bought it online sight un-seen. I knew something this modern for 120K couldn't be bad! Anyone from Cali knows modern= expensive! The only prob is the flat roof with this rain. No leaks yet (knock on wood!) we are considering a metal sheet roof or something industrial. All the businesses around here have flat roofs and they do it somehow.

Anyway, my place is more Palm Springs than atomic ranch but it's still modern just the same. We have terazzo in the entry way and an amazeing clear story in the living room.

Some warnings about Houston home ownership.: Get a good extermanator, there are roaches the size of house cats here. A good exterminator will keep them out of your house.

Clear pine trees from around your house. The roots will jack up your foundation and the pine needle piles attract roaches.

You probally already knew most of that.

The old town Spring area is where i'm at. It's a good alternative if you can't afford downtown. Commute isn't bad, my hubby works 20 miles out and rides there on his bike once in a while. Moderns are scarce! But the town is cool. I can walk to parks, grocery stores, movie rental, dry cleaning and my kids school is right outside our subdivision. Almost everything else, I can ride my bike to. Drivers are suprisingly nice here when you are on a bike (thank god for Lance Armstrong!). We are close enough to the Woodlands (nice) good jobs in the Woodlands but NO moderns! the city wasn't even started until the 70's.

The race mix is good, pretty even, not too whitebread but still safe. Most of the people are young couples who appear to be into modernism and are pissed about over development. It's worth looking into.

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?...A56926A48657257

Edited by Cortinakidd

Hi:

Thanks for the followup info. I love your house, I'm very jealous. That would go for 700 plus in my neighborhood here.

I think you make Spring a possibility, even with the warnings :-). I tried to use the "send email" feature we have by clicking your screen name and choosing the email option. I don't have a sent mail in the folder I have in "My Controls" so I don't know if it went or not. The administrator info discourages giving out email info in these posts, but I'd love to take this offline and ask some more questions.

Can you let me know if you received one/maybe two emails from me? Maybe someone else in the forum can let us know what we're doing wrong..

Hi:

I think you make Spring a possibility, even with the warnings :-). I tried to use the "send email" feature we have by clicking your screen name and choosing the email option. I don't have a sent mail in the folder I have in "My Controls" so I don't know if it went or not. The administrator info discourages giving out email info in these posts, but I'd love to take this offline and ask some more questions.

Can you let me know if you received one/maybe two emails from me? Maybe someone else in the forum can let us know what we're doing wrong..

Welcome to the forum, SF Valley. Your message probably went. There seems to be something wrong with the Sent box showing sent messages. Try a test PM to yourself to be sure.

I lived in L.A also, in Topanga Canyon, and know the concrete wasteland know as The Valley well. When I first arrived here, I flew into Intercontinental (aka Bush) and was surprised by the lush forest below me. I asked some old woman where that was and she said Spring, so, I ended up buying a home there, a 1970s tract house but the subdivision was developed leaving trees standing as much as possible. Now, they clearcut and with the large amount of building going on in that area, there's a lot less forest up there. Still, living in the quiet amongst the pines is great. As much as a lot of us like most aspects of city living, I miss sitting in the back yard and hearing birds chirp instead of city noises like thumping bass, sirens or train whistles. Can't get away from the barking dogs no matter where you go though.

I know some people who still live in my old Spring neighborhood and, while no longer "whitebread", they tell me crime has increased. It still looks about the same to me. A lot of those homes are getting older and the neighborhoods are probably cycling down slowly so keep that in mind if you decide to live there.

spring is really not 'that far out' any more. i thought the same thing when moving out to fm 1960, but there are much further communities like the woodlands, kingwood, conroe ...

Hi:

Thanks for the followup info. I love your house, I'm very jealous. That would go for 700 plus in my neighborhood here.

Hi, I got an e-mail from you. I will go shoot some photos of the house and send them to you.

I saw a post that mentioned the clear cutting and growth of Spring. They're right, there is a lot of growth going on. It's not as "woodsy" as some of the older folks remember it. As a matter of fact there is a fight going on to save our mountain bike trails, the cypresswood trails. We are fighting to make it a part of the greenway project, which is a 30 mile stretch of forest running from the 59 to Conroe. I don't know if you mountain bike,hike or ride horses, but you can check us out at http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/cypresswoodtrailgroup/

This place is a lot lke L.A. There is some green and good old architecture, but you have to fight for it and keep an eye on the local gov.

As far as crime goes, I'm from L.A! What some people consider crime, I consider life.

I researched Spring before moving here. I know the average crime rate for a city of this size is 3, the crime rate here is 2 (below average). My L.A. neighborhood (Whittier) is a 7!! So, crime exist here, but I wouldn't consider it a "problem"

As far as noise goes, the 45 runs in front of the subdivision here. The house you saw is far in the back and you can't hear the freeway from there. You can hear it LOUD and clear at my place, but I don't care, it's the worth it to me for this great house and nice neighborhood. Plus, it's an ice breaker at backyard BBQ'S :)

Anyway, If you are considering moving to Houston, come here for at least a couple of weeks. That's what I did. I researched the hell out of it on citysearch and I checked the crime rate in all of the major areas then I just came here and stayed for 2 weeks. I saw that Spring had that small town in the middle of a major city feel that I wanted and I bought my house on-line without ever seeing it in person. I had a really great realtor who grew up here and she came and checked it out for me. I'm a fly by the seat of your pants kinda gal though, so what do I know?

I'll get the photo out to ya soon.

Thanks a million. Talk to you soon. I was planning to come to Houston for a long weekend to begin with, and maybe come for a longer period of time if I felt hooked. One good thing about Houston is it's very cheap to fly from LA. Another thing that looks good about Spring is that you are pretty close to Bush Intercontinental and close (and fast, at least the way you drive :-) to downtown...