Illicit Drugs And Medicine

Highrise Tower

I always hear good things about medicine, and drugs helping sick people.  I remember when doctors started to use ketamine to treat crippling depression. I've read that using psilocybins such as LSD or mushrooms also has a therapeutic effect on people suffering from generalized anxiety disorder.  For a while now, we have heard cannabis is an alternative to pain medicine to cancer patients.

There's a new Netflix series called How to Change Your Mind so it got me thinking. I wasn't sure if HAIF had such a thread. Might be a controversial topic, but we are the city of medicine.  I do believe we should research illicit drugs and see how they interact with the human body. Medical research.

https://www.netflix.com/title/80229847

Author Michael Pollan leads the way in this docuseries exploring the history and uses of psychedelics, including LSD, psilocybin, MDMA and mescaline.

• 4 months later...
14 hours ago, Highrise Tower said:

Thoughts on a light-grade THC for handling anxiety?  Is Delta 8 safe?

Synthetic hemp THC is safe considering the manufacturing process?

Doctors tend to pass out prescriptions for benzodiazepines like candy to patients that report anxiety.  I think that cannabinoids can be equally (if not more) effective in handling anxiety, and probably have fewer issues than benzos as far as side effects from long-term usage, but as the cannabis industry is still in its infancy there's not a lot of usable data covering a sufficient period of time out there yet. The biggest issue is that since cannabinoids are essentially unregulated, you're trusting suppliers and vendors to know what they're doing and act in an ethical manner, which certainly isn't always the case (I'm looking at you, roadside convenience store with used-car-lot plastic flags pushing delta-8).

It's incumbent upon anyone deciding to use cannabinoids to determine what they're personally comfortable with and do the appropriate amount of due diligence.  The relevant subreddits (r/CBD and r/delta8, among others) can be fairly informative, with the usual caveats regarding any online commentary.

• Like 1

I've heard the following illegal drugs can be used for severe depression: Ketamine, Psilocybin, and MDMA.

I would like to see the continued research of illicit drugs that can be altered at the cell level to produce therapeutic effects.  Science is amazing.

Any science that could potentially benefit the human body is good. Our bodies can be researched and studied forever. Biological life forms will continue to evolve over time.

22 hours ago, Highrise Tower said:

I've heard the following illegal drugs can be used for severe depression: Ketamine, Psilocybin, and MDMA.

There are clinics that already offer ketamine therapy under the supervision of a licensed medical professional (psychiatrist). I know someone who suffered from severe depression and underwent ketamine infusions, and it was life-changing - nothing else they tried previously had been nearly as effective.

As far as I know, psilocybin and MDMA have so far only had clinical trials in this regard - I'm not aware of any (legal) way to currently obtain treatment using either of those substances.

• Like 1

Coincidentally, there was an interesting article in the NYT today about the surge in remote (telemedicine) prescriptions for ketamine, the potential for abuse, and some pretty significant downsides that can result from such abuse. There should be no question that it's extremely irresponsible to prescribe powerful substances that are known to carry a risk of addiction without the patient being under the direct and regular supervision of a qualified medical professional. You'd think that what happened with Oxycontin and similar opioids would have been a sufficient lesson in this regard.

A Fraught New Frontier in Telehealth: Ketamine 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 2/20/2023 at 9:10 PM, mkultra25 said:

Coincidentally, there was an interesting article in the NYT today about the surge in remote (telemedicine) prescriptions for ketamine, the potential for abuse, and some pretty significant downsides that can result from such abuse. There should be no question that it's extremely irresponsible to prescribe powerful substances that are known to carry a risk of addiction without the patient being under the direct and regular supervision of a qualified medical professional. You'd think that what happened with Oxycontin and similar opioids would have been a sufficient lesson in this regard.

A Fraught New Frontier in Telehealth: Ketamine 

Yikes, this sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. I thought Ketamine treatments were only given in-office. I guess not…