Mass Transit Plan

Ethanra

I thought the second phase was suppose to start by now...... The money was approved, right?.....Doesn't this project need to get started to be finished by 2012. Please what is the status.......

side note... It seems like when I ride thr LRT I am the only paying. I see at least 70% of the people at all times of the day not paying. I don't think the honor system is working...

Many ride with weekly or mothly passes or transfer. However I noticed after Katrina many New Orleans residents were under the impression that the train was free.

It WAS free for the evacuees. Once the evacuation centers shut down, they had to start paying.

You are right on the passes, though. Remember, Metro forces many riders onto the train to reduce the number of busses downtown (and pump up ridership numbers, according to some).

THe new plan of tickets only on the platforms is supposed to help identify/fix the problems. It will take several months to see if that works.

Ciao, and Hook 'em Horns,

Capt-AWACS, Watching you from 30,000 feet

THe new plan of tickets only on the platforms is supposed to help identify/fix the problems. It will take several months to see if that works.

Capt-AWACS, Watching you from 30,000 feet

My office faces the Preston Southbound Station. In all the times I have watched that station, I haven't seen any increased verication activities. You would have expected to see a few more Metro officers on the platform, checking tickets, but I've never seen it since they announced that rule change. Makes you wonder if they are checking at all. Perhaps they do more at the busier stations in TMC and Main St. Square.

I was taking it from TMC up to the museum and back and saw one metro cop checking tickets. This was a couple of weeks ago, my last time home and riding the train, but more than I had seen before. I would have expected more "po-po" as well??????

Capt-AWACS, It's shake and bake and I helped

You'd think that with as much opposition to any type of mass transit as exists in this town, Metro would be obsessive about collecting every possible cent they could in fares. As long as Metro Rail is nowhere close to being financially self-sufficient, critics of the system will have a reason to attack the concept, campaign against future funding for line extensions, and generally make life hell for Metro. Just listen to KSEV or KPRC when any of their local hosts get going on this issue! Metro needs to be doing everything possible to silence its critics, and ensuring that every rider pays the fare is a no-brainer!

Mass transit is not self-sufficient. Never has been, never will. Of course, neither are highways or airports, either. Metro should make efforts to collect its fares, and reports are that they get most of them. However, there is a limit to how far you go. If the collection costs are higher than what you collect, then you have achieved nothing.

As for talk show hosts, who really cares? Everyone knows that they are angry white men. As such, they are pre-programmed to say the same thing over and over...pro-Bush, pro-War, anti-Tax, anti-Mass Transit, anti-Houston.

Everyone knows this. When decisions need to be made, very few people go to this source for guidance. I pity those few that do. Besides, there are no votes in Metro's immediate future. They need to concentrate on doing their job well to please the only ones who count...Mayor White and Judge Eckels...the ones who appoint the Board.

Mass transit is not self-sufficient. Never has been, never will. Of course, neither are highways or airports, either. Metro should make efforts to collect its fares, and reports are that they get most of them. However, there is a limit to how far you go. If the collection costs are higher than what you collect, then you have achieved nothing.

As for talk show hosts, who really cares? Everyone knows that they are angry white men. As such, they are pre-programmed to say the same thing over and over...pro-Bush, pro-War, anti-Tax, anti-Mass Transit, anti-Houston.

Everyone knows this. When decisions need to be made, very few people go to this source for guidance. I pity those few that do. Besides, there are no votes in Metro's immediate future. They need to concentrate on doing their job well to please the only ones who count...Mayor White and Judge Eckels...the ones who appoint the Board.

You are mostly right, as usual. All I'm saying is don't give your enemies any ammo, and poor fare collection is certainly one very big bullet as far as those opposed to Metro are concerned. As for the talk show hosts, this is still a very conservative town and I think they have more influence than many would care to admit. People such as Tom Delay and Paul Bettencourt wouldn't appear on those shows on an almost weekly basis if they didn't think they were reaching someone. They even managed to turn a local city council election in Pearland on the issue of property tax appraisals. Heck, one of their hosts, Dan Patrick, is mounting a formidable campaign for state senate in the district where I live! Also, elections might not be on the horizon for Metro, but look at how the politicians were able to bastardize the plan that the people did vote for by replacing most of the proposed rail lines with questionable BRT lanes.

Its just a doller! Pay for it already!

I think all of the people on this site would pay it. However, there appears to be a large number of our fellow citizens who feel they don't have live by the same rules as everybody else!

actually plenty of airports are self sufficient, inlcuding hte Houston Airport System airports. Landing fees and franchising pay for the airports, not city tax dollars

Capt-AWACS, Seven continents down, none to go

• 4 weeks later...
actually plenty of airports are self sufficient, inlcuding hte Houston Airport System airports. Landing fees and franchising pay for the airports, not city tax dollars

Capt-AWACS, Seven continents down, none to go

You are correct with Continental Airlines paying the bulk of the fees do to both the large operations at IAH and the mix fleet types of aircraft serving IAH. Larger planes= larger fees :) More money for the city :)

Archived