Rice University Graduate Student House At 6500 South Main St.

RWB

It's occupying some valuable real estate now and I'm sure the surrounding neighborhoods wouldn't cry too much if it was torn down.

The value of the real estate it is occupying is irrelevant because Rice would never sell it. Indeed, in the past few years, Rice has been buying real estate near campus (some apartments on Bissonet--now graduate student housing), the corner of Main and University (formerly the Tidelands Motel, turned into the "Gradlands" grad student housing, and I think it is the site for a new collaborative research center (with M.S. ANderson and Baylor). More graduate apartments are being built on SHakespeare.

The main campus itself is getting rather crowded, and there are two new dorms going up soon.

So, if the stadium came down (which seems very unlikely to me), it would be at least in part to accomodate expansion of the residential and academic facilities on campus.

I'm an alum and a current grad student. I would be ok if football were eliminated and the stadium torn down. I don't think it adds much to Rice at this point. It should be said that as a functional stadium, it is very well designed.

• Like 1