Emerald Room Club In Shamrock Hotel At 6900 South Main St.

WestUNative

Scattered Comments:

The photograph of The Emerald Room appears to be the correct configuration, but what of the colors? The Emerald Room was Emerald Green, thus its name and my love for it.

Those of us growing up in nearby neighborhoods spent many hours and years at The Shamrock, we simply loved it. We went to shows, like Edgar Bergan and Conway Twitty, hung out at the pool, lots of going to eat in the restaurants and fooling around. Often on a blah Saturday, we'll head down there to stroll the lobby and shops, then have races up and down the stairs (which nobody really used, at least we never got caught). Later there were many frat dances for U of H kids held in The Emerald Room. Beyond that in adulthood, I stayed there as a guest a few times, truly posh and wonderful.

Royal Coach Inn - my gosh, wouldn't you know my old buddy 57Tbird would be the one who attended Lisa Hartmann's debut. I've been tempted to mention it before. I was almost there. My daughter was taking ballet at a nearby school with Lisa's niece. Her sister and I did the waiting for class to end every week and one time she sprung an invitation on me. The headliner at the Royal Coach was either ill or skipped out and Lisa was tapped to go on. Her sister was trying to drum up an audience to "fill the house" for this unknown, 17 year old singer and asked my husband and I to go 'on the house.' Alas, we could not that night, but I have always remembered and wished we'd made it. Of course, both girls were the daughters of Johnnie and Howard Hartmann, of some Broadway and local fame. I believe the year was 1974.

We all remember Fred Nahas and has anyone mentioned Dick Gottlieb around here?

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Emerald Room Club In Shamrock Hotel At 6900 South Main St.