Suzanne Hand Made Candies At 7401 South Main St.

Highrise Tower

While browsing old Rice The Thresher magazines I noticed this candy store called Suzanne Hand Made Candies located at 7401 South Main St.

Located at South Main & Greenbriar. The building was demolished for either the Texas Orthopedic Hospital or the infamous 7200 Main plot of vacant land? Any pictures of the building? Was there a retail strip center, or shopping center here?

Regarding the sweets and candies. Anyone from 1983 remember these? How were they? Fine Fudges, Candies, & Ice Cream.  Do tell!

bM4rhLT.png

I don't recall this place, but it's interesting that they were the only store serving Frusen Gladje, a competitor to Haagen-Dazs that thrived in the 80s but subsequently disappeared after the brand was sold. It's pretty obscure now, but it was very popular and well-known then.

frusengladje.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/6/2022 at 2:45 PM, mkultra25 said:

I don't recall this place, but it's interesting that they were the only store serving Frusen Gladje, a competitor to Haagen-Dazs that thrived in the 80s but subsequently disappeared after the brand was sold. It's pretty obscure now, but it was very popular and well-known then.

frusengladje.jpg

I remember Frusen Gladje.  I looked at the wikimopedia entry, and while the brand is gone, it does occasionally pop up as a pop culture reference in retro-themed shows.

I find it funny that Häagen-Dazs sued Frusen Gladje for being too Scandinavian, considering that Häagen-Dazs is from New York. 

I happened to be on a college campus in New Jersey during a big regional power outage in the 90's, and trucks started rolling in, unloading free ice cream from the Häagen-Dazs warehouses before they could melt and make an industrial-sized mess.

• Like 1