Spectrum Cinema Theater At 2660 Augusta Dr.

mkultra25

The Cineplex Odeon Spectrum on Augusta opened in June 1988 and closed in 2001 when Loews entered bankruptcy proceedings. I miss that place - it was the state-of-the-art of Houston theaters in its day as far as presentation standards, and had several screens with 70mm capability (a relative rarity by the 1990s). Seeing a stunning 70mm print of the 1989 restoration of LAWRENCE OF ARABIA there on a huge screen was one of the most memorable filmgoing experiences I've ever had. 

• Like 1

The Cineplex Odeon Spectrum on Augusta opened in June 1988 and closed in 2001 when Loews entered bankruptcy proceedings. I miss that place - it was the state-of-the-art of Houston theaters in its day as far as presentation standards, and had several screens with 70mm capability (a relative rarity by the 1990s). Seeing a stunning 70mm print of the 1989 restoration of LAWRENCE OF ARABIA there on a huge screen was one of the most memorable filmgoing experiences I've ever had. 

I remember going there once on a rainy weeknight evening so it was pretty deserted.  We saw socialite Carolyn Farb coming out of a something like a Jean Claude van Damme movie, which seemed fairly bizarre.  

• 1 year later...
  • The title was changed to Spectrum Theater At 2660 Augusta Dr.
  • 5 months later...