Google Maps Super Charges Rooftop Advertising

Came across this in one of the blogs I frequent and thought you guys would be interested...

http://adverlab.blogspot.com/2005/08/adver...oogle-maps.html

advertising_google_maps1.jpg

Advertisers are slowly discovering the potential of Google Maps, and some, like the Target store above (more at Google Sightseeing), are even enjoying some unexpected windfall. Poynter Online talks about realtors tapping into satellite imaging tools. Google Maps Mania is running a log on map hacks, some of them by businesses. Scavengeroogle is an armchair scavenger hunt based on the service - you too can have people looking for your brand landmark (like, again, the Target stores). Here's a how-to on integrating Google Maps into your website .

:lol:

That's hilarious!

I don't have a problem with it for a couple of reasons, mainly because it is on the roof where I can't see it, so it does not bother me.

The other, like Coog said, is there is no free lunch, so if it is less painful there, so be it.

I'd still like to meet the guy that figured that out, though.

Man, I think I just came up with a new business, have to get a "pitch" together and go sell this thing to uberstores. I can think of 50 places right now that you could paint the rooftops and they would be visible from the freeway alone, not just from satelite photos.

As someone pointed out in another topic, the image of downtown Houston, at least, was taken sometime before Toyota Center and the Hilton Hotel, probably around 2002. Given that many of these Google images aren't exactly recent, it seems like kind of a long shot to put a big poster on your roof and wait for a satellite to fly over sometime (you don't know when) and snap an image of it. Then you've got to hope some uber-nerd customer will spend enough time perusing through the Google site that they actually run across the image of your store among the millions of square miles of satellite imagery. There's got to be a better use of an advertising budget!

I don't see this becoming more than just a novelty anytime soon.

I'd be willing to bet that Target logo was painted for the benefit of airline passengers, not a years away update of a Google map. Remember, this came from a blog, not a Target spokesman. Many of these bloggers have no more insight or knowledge than any of us posting here. Many have less. Plus, even the blogger did not suggest that the logo was painted for the benefit of Google maps, only that Target was getting some free pub over the sighting, and perhaps using it to their advantage.

Archived