Superslide On Telephone Rd.

Westside1979

Does anyone remember a waterslide that was on 610 & 59 somewhere?

In about 1973 a company called SUPERSLIDE built the first waterslide I remember on Telephone Rd at Almeda Genoa. A friend of mine who is a Nasa Engineer was involved because they needed a P.E. to sign off on the design to get a city permit. I think they built others around town. They weren't in business too long because one of the promoters ran off with all the money. The one on Telephone stood for years in the middle of a junkyard.

I remember them. There was also a cool one near South Houston H.S.

But do y'all remember those slides and you slid down on a carpet? There was a shell of one on Telephone south of Hobby until about 5 years ago.

Those were crazy.

You are right...Superslide was NOT a water ride...it was a carpet ride. I had forgotten. That one on Telephone was it.

The slide he is referring to was first a "Superslide" where you used potatoe sacks, then the "Ski Mountain" might have been a couple of other things after that also, but eventually became an Ampitheater, then a Houston Garden center, then eventually became freeway space which it is now. There is a thread about it around here somewhere.

I remember going down the one on Telephone as a wee lad, scared out of my mind and loving every minute of it. I always used to see the remains of it everytime we drove to the flea market off Telephone. It was a bit more decrepit each time we went by.

I was amazed how long it stood there.

Eddie

• 1 month later...
You are right...Superslide was NOT a water ride...it was a carpet ride. I had forgotten. That one on Telephone was it.

Anyone remember near almeda mall it wasn't that long ago they had a SKI hill and tranformed it into a haunted house for a few halloweens, the land has since been cleared, it is/was located near the new Wal mart near almeda mall.

The slide he is referring to was first a "Superslide" where you used potatoe sacks, then the "Ski Mountain" might have been a couple of other things after that also, but eventually became an Ampitheater, then a Houston Garden center, then eventually became freeway space which it is now. There is a thread about it around here somewhere.

Somone had mentioned it in the "Tour de Telephone Road" thread:

http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...indpost&p=61581

• The title was changed to Superslide On Telephone Rd.