Fragment Of Building On Shepherd North Of San Felipe St.

Leo

Anybody know what is up with the building on Shepherd, on the east side just north of San Felipe? A small fragment of the facade has been purposely preserved, but it is just some ratty looking pieces of wood framing. It seems impossible that this is enough to get the owner a tax break.

• Like 1

Don't hold me to this, but I think there is some ordinance regarding renovations vs. new construction and the ordinances you have to meet, etc. For some reason I want to say when they revamped the original Tila's location on lower Westheimer into Katz's, they did a similiar thing, (keeping up only a portion of the building) so as to be grandfathered in on certain building aspects. I could be wrong on that and I don't have anything to reference it to, but I bet it is something like that.

Don't hold me to this, but I think there is some ordinance regarding renovations vs. new construction and the ordinances you have to meet, etc. For some reason I want to say when they revamped the original Tila's location on lower Westheimer into Katz's, they did a similiar thing, (keeping up only a portion of the building) so as to be grandfathered in on certain building aspects. I could be wrong on that and I don't have anything to reference it to, but I bet it is something like that.

That's what I figured the deal was when I saw that. Some sort of end run around some law or code requirements or restriction.

Quote :

"Anybody know what is up with the building on Shepherd, on the east side just north of San Felipe? A small fragment of the facade has been purposely preserved, but it is just some ratty looking pieces of wood framing. It seems impossible that this is enough to get the owner a tax break."

Are you referring to the building that has just the 70's looking wood facia left standing ?

Edited by TJones

Setback requirement, perhaps? I believe La Strada and South Beach nightclub in Montrose did the same thing.

• 1 year later...
No the old La Strada was completely leveled to build the new one. South Beach (formerly Heaven) was gutted after a "fire". Interestingly enough, the building South Beach is in used to be a bowling alley from what I understand.

How funny, I don't think any of those boys patronizing this curent business would come anywhere near a bowling alley. Pleeeeease!

However, the guys walking in and out of "The Mens Club" on Sage Rd. may have actually spent time inside the Windsor Village Bowling Alley. I know I have (and did).

• The title was changed to Fragment Of Building On Shepherd North Of San Felipe St.