The Woodlands Residents On Alert For Arson

pineda

in the Chronicle today

Bruce Tough, a board member of The Woodlands Community Association, a governing body of the master-planned community, echoed the sentiments of many residents concerning who may be responsible for the arsons.

''I attribute this to undersupervised, overprivileged students whose parents are not doing their job," Tough said. "Someone in this neighborhood is doing this."

Law enforcement officials, however, warned residents not to focus only on teenagers as they keep watch on the neighborhood.

''We've made these incidents a priority," said Montgomery County Assistant Fire Marshal Scott Burlin. "We do have some leads, but we need more. We need to get a grip on this."

Jones and about 60 other concerned neighbors gathered at a neighborhood park for the meeting. They calmly listened to law enforcement officials as they talked about how residents can help catch the culprits and prevent other crimes.

Burlin said that since July 4, there have been 20 suspicious fires in the area. Six of them have occurred in the same neighborhood.

I'm sure Bruce Tough was frustrated when he made the broad sweep of a comment about "undersupervised, overprivileged students" being responsible for this rash of fires in the Woodlands, but this many fires sounds more like a serial arsonist in the area, not bored rich schoolkids. I hope they catch whoever is responsible soon, because the Woodlands is just one big tinder box of fuel right now.

I'm sure Bruce Tough was frustrated when he made the broad sweep of a comment about "undersupervised, overprivileged students" being responsible for this rash of fires in the Woodlands, but this many fires sounds more like a serial arsonist in the area, not bored rich schoolkids. I hope they catch whoever is responsible soon, because the Woodlands is just one big tinder box of fuel right now.

I was just reading this article and got really mad today reading this.

I'm really offended by this quote, considering most of the car vandalism and house fires have occurred in the wealthier neighborhoods. Mr. Tough should be ashamed.

''I attribute this to under supervised, over privileged students whose parents are not doing their job," Tough said. "Someone in this neighborhood is doing this."

There is TREMENDOUS hatred towards the wealthier families here and I would venture to guess that wealthier kids would not torch their own neighborhoods. If you want to make a statement about parenting up here it should be broad. Regardless of income level, its the parents of these individuals not teaching respect for other people's things no matter how nice or how average. And who knows, it could be "parents/adults" doing this.

Edited by KatieDidIt

Katie-

How you heard any mention of gang activity in the Woodlands area? The reason I bring this up is because there is now graffiti on the Gosling Road Bridge for the first time since it was built, and usually when a gang starts to mark its' territory, graffiti will begin to appear. I wonder if this possibility of gang-related activity has been considered by the Fire Marshal in The Woodlands as a cause for the many fires.

Katie-

How you heard any mention of gang activity in the Woodlands area? The reason I bring this up is because there is now graffiti on the Gosling Road Bridge for the first time since it was built, and usually when a gang starts to mark its' territory, graffiti will begin to appear. I wonder if this possibility of gang-related activity has been considered by the Fire Marshal in The Woodlands as a cause for the many fires.

Pin, I haven't hear of gang activity, but I wouldn't doubt it. Tanglewood got sprayed about 5 years ago by a Mexican gang, but nothing came of it. But I have heard of massive hatred towards the priviledged up here. Heck, some of the parents have a website called The Underground and talk about their hatred of the wealthy up here, and claim the entire class can't raise their kids. Who is to say that attitude hasn't rubbed off on bored teens.

Edited by KatieDidIt

Red-

Thanks for the very thorough background of firebugs. You didn't cite your source for this information, though, so I'm really hoping it's not from personal experience... :lol:

Heck, many of the parents have a website called The Underground and constantly talk about their hatred of the wealthy up here.
You have got to be kidding me! Edited by pineda

Red-

Thanks for the very thorough background of firebugs. You didn't cite your source for this information, though, so I'm really hoping it's not from personal experience... :lol:

Well, I am over 35 now, so it's strictly for profit now. :lol:

That profile was from seminar notes posted on a website. However, it matches very closely with statements from seminars I have attended in connection with juvenile crime.

I doubt all of these fires are by the same arsonist(s). A few were suggested to be concealment for burglaries. Others are the excitement/vandalism variety. However, I would be surprised if the culprits are from outside of the Woodlands area. Aside from his poor choice of words, I think that is what Mr. Tough was alluding to.

The "overprivileged" kids tend to be shoplifters and drug/alcohol abusers, from my experience.

Edited by RedScare

Well, I am over 35 now, so it's strictly for profit now. :lol:

That profile was from seminar notes posted on a website. However, it matches very closely with statements from seminars I have attended in connection with juvenile crime.

I doubt all of these fires are by the same arsonist(s). A few were suggested to be concealment for burglaries. Others are the excitement/vandalism variety. However, I would be surprised if the culprits are from outside of the Woodlands area. Aside from his poor choice of words, I think that is what Mr. Tough was alluding to.

The "overprivileged" kids tend to be shoplifters and drug/alcohol abusers, from my experience.

RED, you forgot to mention your theory on the "DROUGHT" ! Remember I posed the question first, before any mention on the news my friend.

As an administrator of the website mentioned by katiedidit I feel I needed to present our website to all of you as what it really is, not what katiedidit decided we are. She/he logged on to our site, which is open to anyone, and introduced herself by denigrating everything about TW. For whatever reason she thought we were all as unhappy here as she is. What we are is a group who finds that while we don't fit the stereotype of a TW resident, we do have things in common with others here. This website is our way of connecting with one another.

As you can see by her info under her avatar on your own board, katiedidit is unhappy that she left her life in Tanglewood to slum it up here in TW with the rest of us. The tone of all of her posts was that we are a bunch of unwashed heathens who don't know anything because we don't all live in $500k custom homes. She came across as crass and snobbish. Most of us on this website aren't particularly interested in the net worth of our online friends. It is about character or the lack of it that is our main concern. Perhaps some of our posters do have a chip on their shoulder about those with wealth. But it isn't right for her to bad mouth a great group of people based off of very limited experience with us. We, for the most part, our good-hearted folks. We do get into heated arguments and we do disagree. We aren't afraid of disagreement - some relish it more than others.

If anyone is truly interested in seeing what WUG is all about, check out our thread about BJW2 and how a group of us tried to keep her from being wrongly evicted, filed court documents on her behalf, cooked for her, and then helped her move. That is what we are, not a bunch of jerks.

I will check it out and make my own determination, I am never one to take the opinion of others as fact, so I try to do a little homework, as you'll find out most of the more vocal posters on HERE do, thanks for the heads up WUG !

Thanks for giving us a chance, TJones. I appreciate an open mind! Have a great weekend. ;)

Pin, I haven't hear of gang activity, but I wouldn't doubt it. Tanglewood got sprayed about 5 years ago by a Mexican gang, but nothing came of it. But I have heard of massive hatred towards the priviledged up here. Heck, some of the parents have a website called The Underground and talk about their hatred of the wealthy up here, and claim the entire class can't raise their kids. Who is to say that attitude hasn't rubbed off on bored teens.

Katie I don't think TW has actual "gangs" just wanna-be thuggie teens.

If you see a kid that has his pants hanging halfway down his arse and he has to reach down around his ankles to get his wallet out of his back pocket, and his baseball cap is kicked to the side, a 40" chain around his neck and he wears a bandaid on his cheek for no reason, it is a good possibility that he is a wanna-be thug. <_<

Edited by TJones

As an administrator of the website mentioned by katiedidit I feel I needed to present our website to all of you as what it really is, not what katiedidit decided we are. She/he logged on to our site, which is open to anyone, and introduced herself by denigrating everything about TW. For whatever reason she thought we were all as unhappy here as she is. What we are is a group who finds that while we don't fit the stereotype of a TW resident, we do have things in common with others here. This website is our way of connecting with one another.

As you can see by her info under her avatar on your own board, katiedidit is unhappy that she left her life in Tanglewood to slum it up here in TW with the rest of us. The tone of all of her posts was that we are a bunch of unwashed heathens who don't know anything because we don't all live in $500k custom homes. She came across as crass and snobbish. Most of us on this website aren't particularly interested in the net worth of our online friends. It is about character or the lack of it that is our main concern. Perhaps some of our posters do have a chip on their shoulder about those with wealth. But it isn't right for her to bad mouth a great group of people based off of very limited experience with us. We, for the most part, our good-hearted folks. We do get into heated arguments and we do disagree. We aren't afraid of disagreement - some relish it more than others.

If anyone is truly interested in seeing what WUG is all about, check out our thread about BJW2 and how a group of us tried to keep her from being wrongly evicted, filed court documents on her behalf, cooked for her, and then helped her move. That is what we are, not a bunch of jerks.

Wug, I actually never gave the full name of your site or the link. And I yeah, after reading a number of posts at your site, which did apply aformementioned topics, I replied. I joined before reading any posts and most of my responses were due the the ridiculousness of the opinions of the few. I should have never responded to any of it. Granted most of your site is friendly and friends talking, but I was shocked to find that attitude and the headers of many posts. Your right, I should have never mention that you site exists. But in turn why are you bringing problems with a poster from your board to this board?

Wug, I actually never gave the full name of your site or the link. And I yeah, after reading a number of posts at your site, which did apply aformementioned topics, I replied. I joined before reading any posts and most of my responses were due the the ridiculousness of the opinions of the few. I should have never responded to any of it. Granted most of your site is friendly and friends talking, but I was shocked to find that attitude and the headers of many posts. Your right, I should have never mention that you site exists. But in turn why are you bringing problems with a poster from your board to this board?

You brought us up, someone posted a link. You basically slandered us and I didn't feel it was fair. Granted, this isn't my usual stomping ground, but I don't like my friends being thought of in a negative light. Even if none of us had never heard about your post, it is still troublesome to me that a bad rep could result from it. That's it. We don't have a problem with you because you don't post any longer. Frankly, most didn't remember you but I happen to have a good memory. And if you read my post, I didn't come her to complain about you, I did explain what I felt your experience was with WUG and I gave the context of your posts to illustrate my point. We aren't a bunch of wealth hating lunatics. Thanks for letting me guest post on this board. Enjoy!

Katie I don't think TW has actual "gangs" just wanna-be thuggie teens.

If you see a kid that has his pants hanging halfway down his arse and he has to reach down around his ankles to get his wallet out of his back pocket, and his baseball cap is kicked to the side, a 40" chain around his neck and he wears a bandaid on his cheek for no reason, it is a good possibility that he is a wanna-be thug. <_<

TJ, I don't think TW "has" gangs either. But I wouldn't be surprised if gangs didn't joy ride around and spray. They've kinda been known to do that. ;)

• The title was changed to The Woodlands Residents On Alert For Arson