Near East Town/Warehouse District

I'm thinking of buying one of the new townhomes that are going up just east of downtown and would like to hear peoples thoughts about the area. I've seen quite a few posting dating back to early 05 but just wondering how people think the area has progressed.

The train concerns me a little bit, however it looks to me as the BRT/LRT will run over the existing tracks, does anyone know where the train will go???

I like the area as I think it is ripe for potential and I work downtown so I would love that commute. My realtor is not convinced... advising me to buy something smaller for the same price in midtown or the heights.

Thanks in advance.

Kingy

PS The home is being built by Waterhill, has anyone heard of them? Apparently they have already built a few developments in Rice Military.

METRO Rail's corridor maps are at this link.

http://www.ridemetro.org/motion/solutions/solmaps.asp

Harrisburg options or Southeast options will show you the possible routes, but it looks like the Capital route is pretty well decided. I think the Rail line will definitely help spur the area. I am sure land over here is less expensive than Midtown, so as long as in-town construction continues, this area will get some of it.

I would also think, since this is a newer area, the return on investment would be higher than Midtown. However, if the area does not gentrify quick enough for you, or not at all, your loss could be greater...just like new stocks versus established ones.

Overall, I like the potential of the area, especially once track is laid.

I'm thinking of buying one of the new townhomes that are going up just east of downtown and would like to hear peoples thoughts about the area. I've seen quite a few posting dating back to early 05 but just wondering how people think the area has progressed.

The train concerns me a little bit, however it looks to me as the BRT/LRT will run over the existing tracks, does anyone know where the train will go???

I like the area as I think it is ripe for potential and I work downtown so I would love that commute. My realtor is not convinced... advising me to buy something smaller for the same price in midtown or the heights.

Thanks in advance.

Kingy

PS The home is being built by Waterhill, has anyone heard of them? Apparently they have already built a few developments in Rice Military.

Waterhill is still building in the West End. I would spend a Saturday or Sunday afternoon walking the streets just south of Washington that they have built on. Their projects are easy to spot with the large plate glass windows in front. When you see someone in front of their Waterhill home ask what kind of experience they had. New home owners like to talk about their home, good experience or not.

I personally would not have a problem with the east end as long as it wasn't a Perry Home. I would ask any builder if they use radiant barrier roof decking, ridge vents and zoned air. All of these would be very important in a three story home to keep utilities within reason.

Good luck!

I live pretty close to where Waterhill is building. Waterhill has become aggressive in the east end/ warehouse area lately. Not sure which waterhill community you are looking at, I'm guessing its the ones that are close to a warehouse and are very close to where a train passes. At first, I wasn't too sure I liked the homes with the blue finish, but now I think it adds a little character. Like Red Scare says its not a sure thing that the area will continue to gentrify, but I think it will because of exactly what your realtor is saying. You can get more house for the same money as midtown or the heights. from a strictly geographic perspective, its equally as close as midtown in relation to downtown, but the change isn't going to be over night. Still, over one year of time, I would say there has been a significant change in the area, probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 100-200 new homes built. That is a lot for just one year.

FYI, that train can be loud depending how close you are. Its not that close to me, but I can hear it because there are not crossing arms at a lot of intersections so they blow the horn.

I look at that area as Midtown's scruffy little brother. Not as refined and forever taking Midtown's hand-me-downs, it should mature into a solid adult, albeit with train tracks.

The nicer older homes on the East End are finally getting noticed by realtors from all over town, so really, the entire area, including Clinton Dr to the north, is destined to produce enough gentrifiers to attract some decent retail eventually.

Waterhill is the new aggressor over there. They've even moved into Magnolia Park farther east, which would've been considered plum loco just a year or so ago.

The East End will blossom in the 21st century and the Warehouse District will be poised at the front gate.

Thanks for all your replies. To those who live close by, how often does the train run? The townhomes I'm looking at are on Rusk and St. Charles so the rail nosie shouldn't be too much of a problem, the horn on the other hand....

Regarding the Blue finish, the sales agent who showed us around said that they themseleves were not impressed with the Blue and aren't going to use it again. The outside of the house is not a main concern of mine so I didn't really ask what they would be doing instead.

One of the redeeming qualities of the east end Warehouse District is that it doesn't have the concentration of homeless people that would otherwise scare potential buyers away. Unfortunately, it has next to NO retail (unlike Midtown, which at least still had convenience stores and doctor's offices before it began its rebirth). What I see for the WD is that it will be a quieter version of Midtown and probably more of a close-knit community over the next 15-20 years.

FYI on the train - as I said, i sort of stopped noticing it, but paid attention last night to when it goes by. Between 10 and 11 PM, there was noise from the horn probably for a good 20 minutes of that hour (on and off of course). Eventually as more people move into the area, I see them petitioning to put more crossing arms up, not only for the noise reasons, but safety. When no one was living there, it wasn't as much of a concern, but with people moving in, it probably will change.

As for the homeless, yes there are pretty much none, but there are some less than ideal people sometimes wandering around. last night i was leaving my place and some guy was in the road trying to wave me down. However, that is the first time that has happened and on the whole I would consider the area to be more deserted than Midtown probably ever was. This is good and bad - absolutely 0 retail until you head towards the Wayside/ lawndale area or go over to midtown. I agree, it will probably always be more of a bedroom community in the future. I have noticed that the plasma center up near Clinton is under construction now and they are tearing down the convenience stores that were there. Not sure what they will be putting there now instead.

• 2 weeks later...

i was recently assigned a project for school in this area & have fallen in love with this side of town.

Contrary to previous statements there are homeless people there (star of hope) but their focus is not aimed towards the community and i also noticed that police are quite vigilent in this area too.

It is very quiet at night but some of the warehouses run 24 hours.

It's also interesting how the warehouses envelope the old 2nd ward communitys which consist of predominatly immigrant/workers housed in charming 20's bunglalows

It is true that ammenties are lacking but with the inclusion of the rail system makes for an oppurtunity of such developments.

My project is to create a metrorail stop plaza over off of harrisburg @ middleton & ennis on a triangular site already next to some Rietveld-styled loft townhomes.

Edited by infinite_jim

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for all your replies. To those who live close by, how often does the train run? The townhomes I'm looking at are on Rusk and St. Charles so the rail nosie shouldn't be too much of a problem, the horn on the other hand....

Regarding the Blue finish, the sales agent who showed us around said that they themseleves were not impressed with the Blue and aren't going to use it again. The outside of the house is not a main concern of mine so I didn't really ask what they would be doing instead.

that is a shame...the city could stand to see more color. it was refreshing to see something different rather than the same neutral conservative colors. if i remember right, the community sold out pretty quick.

• The title was changed to Near East Town/Warehouse District