2-Story Academy Sports & Outdoors

zaphod

I dunno if it counts as historical, but it is old. Its that 2 story academy on I-10. I was curious about that place. Was it the first academy? it seems so different than the other ones. Its also got these really narrow escalators too. Wonder if someone carrying a big sports equipment thing ever dropped it over the side making a mess?

Just wondering. It just popped in my mind

i didnt know there was stuff in it beforehand. My first time there was maybe 3 years ago. Still, strange place for a chain retailer like academy to move into.

I dont really know anything about the whole katy freeway expansion, is that place gonna be torn down when they widen the road, or is that area not affected

I dunno if it counts as historical, but it is old. Its that 2 story academy on I-10. I was curious about that place. Was it the first academy? it seems so different than the other ones. Its also got these really narrow escalators too. Wonder if someone carrying a big sports equipment thing ever dropped it over the side making a mess?

Just wondering. It just popped in my mind

Here's a link to the Academy website: http://www.academy.com/

Click on 'about us' for a brief history. Funny, I always thought the chain started here in Houston. I remember the Academy Super Surplus on I-35 in Austin -- it was more of an Army-Navy surplus store but the chain has morphed into sporting goods.

I was under the impression the store on the Katy Fwy was built from the ground up as Academy, back when Academy and Oshman's were building 'super' sports stores.

Hello everyone. I am a long time reading of this forum. However, this is my first post.

I am a former Academy employee, I worked in the Corporate Office as a Footwear Trainer.

The first "Academy" was located where the Home office is now, which is located on N. Mason Rd. in Katy. That store was closed down and relocated to it's current location on I-10 West of Mason Rd.

Also Academy is a privately held company. There are approximately 86 stores in the US. all located in the South, and South Eastern parts of the US. Starting in Oklahoma and going all the way to Florida.

I am not sure of the future plans for that location.

• The title was changed to 2-Story Academy Sports & Outdoors

Archived