i go to grad school out in clear lake and god, i would love to be able to take the bus down there instead of dealing with the hell we refer to as 59 & 45...

I'm a bit vague on my history here, so if anyone can help me out, please do.

My understanding is that communities to the south and east of Houston decided against opting into METRO about 25 years ago (which is why you can't get a bus to Clear Lake, Pasadena, Deer Park, etc.).

Wonder if there's any chance that this will change sometime in the future? or are the residents of these communities staunchly anti-public transportation? It would be nice if at least Clear Lake was included; Space Center Houston is a major tourist draw, but inaccessable except by automobile.

I'm a bit vague on my history here, so if anyone can help me out, please do.

My understanding is that communities to the south and east of Houston decided against opting into METRO about 25 years ago (which is why you can't get a bus to Clear Lake, Pasadena, Deer Park, etc.).

Wonder if there's any chance that this will change sometime in the future? or are the residents of these communities staunchly anti-public transportation? It would be nice if at least Clear Lake was included; Space Center Houston is a major tourist draw, but inaccessable except by automobile.

Actually the areas of Clear Lake City that are in the Houston city limits are serviced by Metro. Much of the Clear Lake area was incorporated by Houston over 25 years ago.

The Bay Area Park and Ride is located near NASA, just off Bay Area Blvd. The Johnson Space Center itself receives Metro service via routes 244, 246, and 247. Click here to see the route maps and schedules. There's actually a stop right at Space Center Houston.

Pasadena, Deer Park, and several other southeast communities of course opted not to be in Metro's service area and have no service.

• 6 years later...

TxDOT did not have the money to widen the Katy freeway so, working for a local engineering firm, I handled fee negotiations for Harris County Toll Road (HCTRA). We gave TxDOT $500 million, about half the construction cost, for 4 lanes down the middle of the freeway. Do you think HCTRA would have spent so much if they didn't already know the freeway would be over capacity before the construction was even finished. So pay the tolls or sit in traffic..

Traffic in Houston is so horrible. Today I got an early start on the road, and left at 4:00pm., and went up Louisiana Street onto Interstate 10. Right when I hit Washington Street it was slow all the way to Highway 6. Then, after Highway 6, there was heavy volume until Mason Road. I just got home at 6:00 pm. Does anyone else have these problems

Those people stuck on the Southwest Freeway, I really feel sorry for you today because as of now I am seeing the backup from the Beltway to the Grand Parkway. Horrible.

Traffic in Houston is so horrible. Today I got an early start on the road, and left at 4:00pm., and went up Louisiana Street onto Interstate 10. Right when I hit Washington Street it was slow all the way to Highway 6. Then, after Highway 6, there was heavy volume until Mason Road. I just got home at 6:00 pm. Does anyone else have these problems

Those people stuck on the Southwest Freeway, I really feel sorry for you today because as of now I am seeing the backup from the Beltway to the Grand Parkway. Horrible.

My trip to work from home to the Galleria is 17 minutes. And I live just east of downtown. Why do you live so far away?